gphone

Booting, installing, newbie
menno

gphone

#1 Post by menno »

I tryed to use Gphone . It starts oke . But if you fillin a call IP it closes all the windows . Has somebody used it ? . On the otherside I have downloaded
Speak Freely this seems to run . I can talk to myself , not very usefull .
None of the echo servers works . Someone knows this phone program ?
Ofcourse you can (maybe) install Skype but its very large .

Rhino

#2 Post by Rhino »

I'm not sure about gphone...my mic doesn't appear responsive. That could make phone calls difficult. I'll try to see if I can get the anything going on the internet phone stuff. I've always been interested in the VOIP technology, but haven't done it for my home phone yet. I honestly don't make that many long distance calls for it to be useful for me.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Maybe you are the first to try an actually use that Gphone thing!

It has been sitting there in the menu for ages... I put it in because it is very small.

Skype is available for download using PupGet.

#4 Post by Guest »

well, with gphone it appears as though you enter in someone's IP address and then you chat. In calling myself I never could answer, but it might be fun to swap ip addresses between trusted friends and see if it works.

Is Skype better/safer and free?

Auda

#5 Post by Auda »

Well it works ! At least on an internal network, now how to get it to work through Freesco to the outside world ?
The advantage I see over skype is that if I know your ip I can call you directly no need for someone elses server that may or may not still exist.
Auda

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Auda wrote:Well it works ! At least on an internal network, now how to get it to work through Freesco to the outside world ?
The advantage I see over skype is that if I know your ip I can call you directly no need for someone elses server that may or may not still exist.
Auda
I have a dumb question:
I'm using cable internet so I don't have a fixed ip address. However, my address stays fixed at least between reboots. In theory, couldn't I find out my present address and send it, via e-mail perhaps, to someone I wanted to establish a direct connection with? As I understand it, the only other thing I would have to do is "open" the right port on my computer, or does skype do that automatically when it is started?

edoc

#7 Post by edoc »

Anonymous wrote:well, with gphone it appears as though you enter in someone's IP address and then you chat. In calling myself I never could answer, but it might be fun to swap ip addresses between trusted friends and see if it works. Is Skype better/safer and free?
What about http://www.linphone.org/?lang=us&rubrique=1

doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603