Error attempting "configure" in 1.0.5: no "bc

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
marquitico

Error attempting "configure" in 1.0.5: no "bc

#1 Post by marquitico »

Disclaimer: I am SOOO in over my head.

Trying out Puppy 1.0.5 in order to do the typical:

./configure
make
make install

frankly because I've never done it before. The package I tried was xscreensaver, which I downloaded from here:

http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/xscreen ... .22.tar.gz

Running configure produced this rather snarky error message:
Your system doesn't have "bc", which has been a standard part of Unix since the 1970s. Come back when your vendor has grown a clue.
I'm not a coder (can barely write the famous Hello.c :oops:), so can't really talk tech with you guys. I just know that 1.0.5 is still in alpha, so maybe this error message will be helpful for development. If not, moderator, please close thread.

If this IS meaningful to anyone, I can send the configure and the config.log upon request. Happy to test any suggested solutions.

Regards,

Mark
"marquitico"

PS Puppy 1.0.4 with bladehunter's opttools.sfs loopmounted produced the same error.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

I say - well done.

The Alpha2 of the compiler 1.0.5 is set for release on Tuesday 23 Aug 2005 - that might inspire a few more new 'av a go types . . .

Some of us try to offer advice - we do the best we can. Some try to program - we try the best we know how. Some more than others. Some experts. Some offer encouragement and analysis - the best we can. I tried to compile (make) one simple program with the Alpha developers release. I did that. Then I looked for more complex source code and it looked a bit more challenging and time consuming. Being able to compile the source code is a useful skill . . .
. . . maybe I will have another go soon . . .

Impress your friends (assuming you have any - are geeks allowed to have friends?). . . compile some source code now . . .

:)
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 20 Aug 2005, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#3 Post by Guest »

there is a bc dotpup

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Your system doesn't have "bc", which has been a standard part of Unix since the 1970s. Come back when your vendor has grown a clue.
I would like to give the developer of xscreensaver a kick up the asse for that rude message!
bc is a commandline calculator. My install of Mandrake 9.2 does NOT have bc either, Vector does.
Inclusion of bc is not a "standard part of Linux".

marquitico

#5 Post by marquitico »

Guest wrote:there is a bc dotpup
Ooooh. (marquitico goes running to the download page.) Will post results back here. Thanx much!

Mark
"marquitico"

marquitico

Still stuck, but quite a bit further along

#6 Post by marquitico »

OK, here's where I stand in my bold experiment to compile from source:

Got the bcdc DotPUP.

./configure still didn't work. After much poking round, found that I needed libreadline.so.4 to feed stuff to bc.

Grabbed readline-4.3-i486-3.tgz from Slackware 10.1.

./configure now complaining about missing X11 headers/libs.

Grabbed x11-devel-6.8.1-i486-3.tgz from Slackware 10.1

./configure finally completes!!! But now I get this:
#################################################################

Warning: The "pkg-config" program was not found. Without that,
detection of the various GTK libraries won't work.

Warning: The GTK libraries do not seem to be available; the
`xscreensaver-demo' program requires them.

Warning: The GDK-Pixbuf library was not found.
The XPM library is being used instead.

Some of the demos will not use images as much as they could.
You should consider installing GDK-Pixbuf and re-running
configure. (GDK-Pixbuf is recommended over XPM, as it
provides support for more image formats.)

Note: The JPEG library was not found.
This means that it won't be possible for the image-manipulating
display modes to load files from disk; and it also means that
the `webcollage' program will be much slower.

#################################################################

User programs will be installed in /usr/local/bin/
Screen savers will be installed in /usr/local/libexec/xscreensaver/
Configuration will be installed in /usr/local/share/xscreensaver/config/
Found pkg-config somewhere (can't remember). Installed just fine.

Grabbed libjpeg-6b-i386-4.tgz and gdk-pixbuf-0.22.0-i486-1.tgz.gz from Slackware 10.1 (becoming my second-favorite download area after PUPGets and DotPUPs). These did NOT help, however, and my current error is the same as the above, but without the pkg-config issue.

Out of ideas.

I reiterate my disclaimer: I am in over my head. I'm just GOOGLE-ing aggressively in a quest for information about the various error messages, and downloading anything with a filename similar to the name of the dependency that I seem to be missing. I hit paydirt with the bcdc, readline, x11, and the pkg-config thingy.

What I'm left missing are: GTK libs, GDK-pixbuf libs, and JPEG libs. Since I don't know what these actually ARE, just downloading packages with similar names does not seem to do it.

In the meanwhile I will:

1) Run make, since the configure script actually finished. I might end up with a usable, albeit crippled, binary.

2) Download Alpha2 immediately. Puppy is great.

To whomever any of this is meaningful: PLEEZE post thoughts, observations, advice. Am not abosolutely determined to get this right, mind; just using this as a learning example. My thanks in advance.

Mark
"marquitico"

MU

#7 Post by MU »

have a look here:

http://gtk.org/

I had to compile Gtk 2.6.1 on my Linux-mandrake 9.2 some months ago, and it took quite a while until I got it.

http://gtk.org/download/
explains what libraries (dependancies) you need, and which ones have to be compiled first.

hope that helps, Mark ;)

marquitico

Still don't get it, sigh

#8 Post by marquitico »

Thank you, MU. I had a good look round the GTK website, but it was so technical that I didn't understand too much, I'm afraid. :(

I downloaded everything I could get my hands on, and tried to install it all, but the configure program still cannot find (or thinks that it cannot find) what it's looking for.

I'm stuck at without the following:

Code: Select all

Warning: The GTK libraries do not seem to be available; the
`xscreensaver-demo' program requires them.

Warning: The GDK-Pixbuf library was not found.
The XPM library is being used instead.

Some of the demos will not use images as much as they could.
You should consider installing GDK-Pixbuf and re-running
configure. (GDK-Pixbuf is recommended over XPM, as it
provides support for more image formats.)

Note: The JPEG library was not found.
I found a GTK+-devel package someplace else (cygwin, I think) and tried that too, but configure is still unhappy.

Of course, the source package might be buggy, but I do not have the knowledge or the expertise to debug.

Anyone know where I should look? Or can anyone tell me definitively that it will not work (I remember seeing a topic discussing GTK compatibility with Puppy, but cannot find it again).

Thanks,

Mark
"marquitico"

MU

#9 Post by MU »

Hi Mark,

just forget about cygwin ;)

That is a specially patched version to compile on Windows.

The packages from Gtk.org just should do it.

First you must compile pkgconfig , GLib, Pango, and ATK, and maybe more.

Do *not* mix packages from different places, this just will produce version-conflicts.

When you get errors, the only important thing is the first error you get.
There is no sense to compile Gtk (and search errors there), when Glib did not compile without errors, as Gtk needs the things you compiled with glib.

Another thing:
You can ignore warnings, as they just indicate optional things.
The only important in the beginning are the error-messages.

Just when everything compiles without errors, you might care about the warnings.

Mark

marquitico

Wow, thanks, MU

#10 Post by marquitico »

Thank you for the quick reply. After looking at the GTK download pages, I believe it makes sense to start with the dependencies. I already have pkg-config, anyway. So I will get JPEG, TIFF, et cetera.

May I ask you for more advice: on the main download page there are many packages with similar names. Do I need them all? For example:

glib-2.8.1.tar.bz2
glib-2.8.1.tar.gz

Is that the same thing in two different kinds of tarballs? Or do I actually need them both?

Thank you again.

Mark
"marquitico"

MU

#11 Post by MU »

No, you need just one of them.

tar.gz is older and the standard-packager.
tar.bz2 is newer and compresses slightly better, so the archives are smaller.

The content in them is the same.

Yes, start with the dependencies, it is absolutely necessary to compile them first.

if you get stuck, ask again, the best will be to write down the first errors here.
You do not need to write down all errors, as the later ones usually will disappear when the first ones are corrected.

I'm going asleep soon, so it might take some hours until I can answer.

Good luck :)

Mark

MU

#12 Post by MU »

another tip:

it might be a good idea to use Gtk 2.6 , not 2.8.

2.8 is very new and needs the additional Library "Cairo".
2.6 will not need it.

Cairo and Gtk 2.8 is just needed if you need Gtk to compile the Betaversions of the current Gnome-Desktop.

Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

#13 Post by BarryK »

Er, you are using usr_devx.sfs aren't you?

marquitico

usr_devx.sfs

#14 Post by marquitico »

I'm actually doing everything twice, just for kicks.

Once with Puppy 1.0.5 Alpha with usr_devx.sfs, and again with Chubby 1.0.4 and bladehunter's opttools.sfs. So far as I can see, I am getting identical results, the same errors. (To check internal differences, of course, someone would have to tell me where to look.)

I have not yet had a bash at Alpha2, as it's hard to download. Seems to be quite popular!! Will wait a few days until the weekend and can pester a friend who has DSL.

By the bye, popular Puppy, indeed. I've converted two friends: a father who wordprocesses a lot for work but is hampered by a teeny-tiny laptop was so amazed by Chubby Puppy 1.0.4 that he actually wept; and his son, who is just starting to code a little bit in computer science class in school, who is using 1.0.5 Alpha.

Talk about taking the symbolism just a wee bit far: said son (previous paragraph) commented, "Wow. Puppy might be a great way to meet chicks!"

And here we all thought that Puppy couldn't, uh, compile. :twisted:

Mark
"marquitico"

Ted 'Dog faced' geek

compiling and social linux

#15 Post by Ted 'Dog faced' geek »

I now now longer care to hear the results of your quest for compile. The noble goal and clear alpha geek quest to a clean compile was overshadowed by the thought any linux distro would be used to 'get chicks!!' I really need to hear if he was anywhere able to pull of a linux chick magnet quest. Maybe he really should write for slashdot. Just think of the massive downloads of puppy linux as a result.
Ted :P

marquitico

You didn't take him seriously, did you?

#16 Post by marquitico »

Now don't get yer knickers in a twist: he's only twelve. Actually, the fact that he should have come up with such an idea indicates most likely the reverse: SERIOUS geek in the making, don't you think? :wink: Poor boy.

Mark
"marquitico"

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

"The Geek shall inherit the Earth" - which is what happened with Bill Gates.

:roll:

Everyone is interested in those who can help sort out their computers - I have taken to feigning ignorance to avoid fixing others computers (done enough of that) Linux is an even better excuse.
XP? I don't use that OS.
However when you are a geek in training, you have to fix everything . . .

Tee hee . . .

PS. Feigning ignorance has been a lot easier since I had the lobotomy
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#18 Post by MU »

XP? I don't use that OS.
hehe, this is a sentence, I also really like to use... when people know you as a "PC-Doctor", you would find no sleep anymore ;)

marquitico

Good Lord

#19 Post by marquitico »

Who would have known that xscreensaver would have been such a pain...

I started all over again just to be sure, and lo and behold, there are differences between 1.0.4 + opttools.sfs and 1.0.5 alpha + usr_devx.sfs.

To recap: I untarred xscreensaver-4.22.tar.gz to /root/my-applications/xscreensaver-4.22

The configure script wants bc. So I installed the bcdc106.pup. It needs a file from a readline package, so I installed readline-4.3-i486-3.tgz from Slackware 10.1. From here I get two different results:

With 1.0.5 alpha + usr_devx.sfs, the configure script won't complete because of the following:

# ./configure

(several lines removed)

checking for perl5... no
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking perl version... 5.008006
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers 
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for X app-defaults directory... /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults
checking for XPointer... yes
checking whether this is MacOS X... no
configure: error: perl 5.x required for intltool
#
But with 1.0.4 + opttools.sfs, it asks for X11 libraries, instead. I installed x11-devel-6.8.1-i486-3.tgz, also from Slackware 10.1, and the script completes.

But it warns me that the xscreensaver binary will want the GTK libs, the GDK pixbuf libs and the JPEG libs. This is where MU stepped in and kindly pointed me to the GTK website. Following his advice I took everything from the 2.6.10 release (instead of 2.8). And I started in with the dependencies.

The current problem is libpng. The libpng readme asked for zlib, so I went and got zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2.tar. It installed just fine, but upon trying to install libpng, it continues to complain that zlib isn't there.

I've read the zlib readmes but much of the instructions are extremely technical. There isn't a simple "please put BLAH in your path", or "be sure there is a symlink to BLAH located in BLAH".

An adventure it's been. And I've learned more about LINUX in general and Puppy specifically this way than poring over pages of manuals. Nothing like getting your hands dirty. But I'm not quite giving up yet, and besides, Alpha2, when I finally get it, and subsequent releases as well, may make this all academic.

Mark
"marquitico"

PS What I meant by "I started all over again," just to be clear, was that I went out into Windows98 (my home system) and deleted the pup001 and pup002 files to force a clean install of each.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

usr_devx.sfs has Perl 5.8.6, the same as in Vector 5.0STD.
I've compiled heaps and heaps of packages, never had any problem with perl.

Okay, clarification. Here is an extract of the configuration o/p when I compiled Mozilla recently:

checking for perl5... no
checking for minimum required perl version >= 5.004... 5.008006
checking for full perl installation... yes
Interesting, that version of Perl is straight out of Vector, lifted out, I didn't compile it myself.

All the packages I've thrown at it so far have been happy with that version.
Interesting though, the actual executable is /usr/bin/perl5.8.6
...so, that's what I always thought it was.