Hello World! (Puppy's great, but I do have problems)

Booting, installing, newbie
coke

Hello World! (Puppy's great, but I do have problems)

#1 Post by coke »

Hello! I-m typing this on my brand new supah doopah puppy linux, and I-m so happy, is running almost flawless on my old P166Mhz 96Mb Ram 6Gig HD...

It was very good from the beginin althougth i missed the mouse config and had to re do that, right now the issues I have are:

/My keyboard is miss configured (I have a latin americn keyboard and haven-t found the option tht make it work)

- I have to activate sound manually everytime I reboot

-Can-t play Mp3 (both players throw an error)

-I cant find a way to open power point files

-mozilla odly close itself when viewing some pages

beside that, everything is beautiful, im on icewm with the XP theme and work very very well, had downloaded opera browser and it works very quick on this old computer. It actually is an usable computer again...

Well, this is just to let you know that another puppy has been adopted :)

woof!

(any help is welcomed, :) )

:lol: :lol:

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

If you download the Chubby Puppy it contains Open Office which has a program, impressss that will open MS Power Point files perfectly.

If yo go to the main Puppy page at www.goosee.com/puppy and go to the news or download page you will find where to download Chubby Puppy.

It is around 60M download.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Hello World!

#3 Post by Lobster »

Hello! I-m typing this on my brand new supah doopah puppy linux, and I-m so happy, is running almost flawless on my old P166Mhz 96Mb Ram 6Gig HD...
Hi Coke,
Good News, Welcome to the Kennels,
/My keyboard is miss configured (I have a latin americn keyboard and haven-t found the option tht make it work)
Use the start menu / setup / wizard for keyboard and mouse
Also download my welcome prog (under Misc)
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/DotPupsContributions
- that will give you quick acess to essential resources for a while . . .

-Can-t play Mp3 (both players throw an error)
shame - ALSA (better sound support) is coming - what sound hardware do you have?
there is a Puppy probe program that will tell you . . . Start / Control panel / Xproc
-mozilla odly close itself when viewing some pages
Again the new Mozilla is more stable (we are using a nightly build - Beta)

beside that, everything is beautiful, im on icewm with the XP theme and work very very well, had downloaded opera browser and it works very quick on this old computer. It actually is an usable computer again...
make sure you get your free Opera registration code - opera.com
(they are having a party) Ice XP themes are nice - try fluxbox too - very minimalist

Last edited by Lobster on Wed 31 Aug 2005, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

John Doe

#4 Post by John Doe »

coke wrote:Hello! I-m typing this on my brand new supah doopah puppy linux, and I-m so happy, is running almost flawless on my old P166Mhz 96Mb Ram 6Gig HD...
welcome. It's great isn't it :-)

saintlangton

#5 Post by saintlangton »

coke wrote:

(any help is welcomed, :) )

Hi coke

I don't know all that much about puppy or linux in general but two things you can try to get things to activate at startup:

1) edit rc.local to contain the commands you want to run during boot (it's in /.etc/rc.d/ )

2) Install the Start-Items Dotpup here. Create a script (right click in a Rox window and select "new" - "Script" then right cli on the icon created and selct "File" - "Open as text" and type comands in there. Save the script then drag the script to the Start-Items icon.

Hope this helps

Chris

coke

Thanks!!

#6 Post by coke »

Thanks for all your help,

Now I have my keybord well configured!

Still can't play mp3, the only app that sounds is gaim, I have a ISA soundblaster AWE 32 and I activace it doing modprobe sb

Now I have registered free Opera thanks to Lobster!

And I'm donwloading chubby puppy to have open office.

Any way, there are still things I want to do and I don't know how:

-Install and run fluxbox (i've downloaded a dotpup that says something about being a fluxbox menu, but i don't know what to do with it), i hope this WM to speed up a little the interface

-Change the "shortcuts" of the desktop, I would like to add access to opera there and other things such as my-documents folder, and delete other things.

-Find a way to edit php files, Beaver just doesn't open them, bluefish is too old and doesn't have php syntax color, leaf pad is too simple and had problems saving files with strange (

coke

about sound

#7 Post by coke »

I've discovered that flash sound also works.

just went to http://music.podshow.com and could listen correctly with the flash little buttons.

weird

coke_

Auto Answer

#8 Post by coke_ »

[quote="coke"]Thanks for all your help,
-Install and run fluxbox (i've downloaded a dotpup that says something about being a fluxbox menu, but i don't know what to do with it), i hope this WM to speed up a little the interface

-Change the "shortcuts" of the desktop, I would like to add access to opera there and other things such as my-documents folder, and delete other things.

-Find a way to edit php files, Beaver just doesn't open them, bluefish is too old and doesn't have php syntax color, leaf pad is too simple and had problems saving files with strange (