How to use IC Plus onboard NIC?

icehole

How to use IC Plus onboard NIC?

#1 Post by icehole »

So I apologize for not knowing crapola, but I am trying to setup a Server & from my needs puppy seems to be the best fit (will be booting from & saving back to a Compact Flash.

I have a Abit NF7-S2 motherboard with an IC Plus 10/100 on board nic. I Have been through several drivers trying random stuff that was "close" but nothing got it. The Only IC Plus I can find is for a newer Gigabit controller. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Also I had ubuntu installed previously on a hard drive & it auto installed the nic with no issues so I imagine that drivers should maybe exist somewhere.

Edit 2: Nevermind this isnt a hardware issue. While reading about puppy elsewhere there was an error described & so I tested with IP & it works fine with IP Adress.. Now if I can jsut figure out how to do whats described here http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 24#feature

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Dude, you could have at least explained or quoted what was described there, so we didn't have to read the whole page to find what you're talking about :)

I think you just need to delete /etc/resolv.conf, then rerun the network wizard.

What version of Puppy are you using? Because we were hoping this bug was fixed in 4.3.1.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Ok, I'm guessing your problem is that you can't actually find /etc/resolv.conf. Is that right?
When you open Rox (the filer) e.g. by clicking the house icon on the pinboard, by default it opens your home folder (which is sometimes represented as $HOME or ~). Puppy is a single-user system that always runs as user "root", so your home folder is /root. To get to /etc you need to click the up button, which takes you to the top of the filesystem, then click /etc. Or if you want to learn the fast way to navigate, open the mini-buffer by pressing / then press backspace then e then enter.

From PM:
icehole wrote:& no it is not fixed in 4.3.1 &
Darn.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

icehole

#4 Post by icehole »

actually my problem was a complete lack of linux command knoledge..

I Got it figured out about an hour ago so its online, So now I have other things I am trying to figure out. But thats meant for another thread if I cant get it..

But yea when I finally found out the rm command deleted the file I did what you said & it worked fine. Also I didn't know I could just browse files as you just posted so that should make things a little easier on me.