Wine dotpup

Using applications, configuring, problems
silverojo

Wine dotpup

#1 Post by silverojo »

Feeling really stupid here...this is the first dotpup I've DL'ed, that I can't figure out how to use! :oops:

I downloaded Wine v. 0.9.28 from this site:
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups/Emulators/

I find the folder /usr/lib/wine just fine...but I don't see any sort of executable file. So I thought, maybe if I just try to run a Windows program (like IrfanView), Wine would run automatically. No dice.

When using Knoppix, I was able to find Wine in the K menu, but I can't seem to find a similar way to start it in Puppy.

Help...please??
[b]MY PC's SPECS:[/b]

* PC: Firelite 1200 D
* RAM: 512 MB
* CPU: AMD Duron, 892 MHz
* HD: Maxtor 2F030J0
* CD-RW: Atapi CD-R/RW CW078D
* MONITOR: Compaq 5500
* SOUND CARD: SiS 7018 Wave
* ETHERNET: Network Everywhere (NC100 v2)

WhoDo

Re: Wine dotpup

#2 Post by WhoDo »

silverojo wrote:I find the folder /usr/lib/wine just fine...but I don't see any sort of executable file. So I thought, maybe if I just try to run a Windows program (like IrfanView), Wine would run automatically. No dice
You need to run winecfg first, to tell wine what version of Window$ API to run by default. It usually lives somewhere like /usr/bin or /usr/sbin or usr/local/bin or ... etc. If you installed it from a dotpup you should be able to use alien-to-xdg-menu to create a dotpet for it, too.

Running winecfg will create a directory under /root called /Win_C or similar. That will contain your Window$ and Program Files directories for installation of programs. Just executing a compatible Window$ install.exe should be recognised at that point. If not, use winefile to execute the file (same location as winecfg).

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

silverojo

#3 Post by silverojo »

I posted a response to this, but it seems to have vanished, so I'm posting it again. :(
WhoDo wrote:You need to run winecfg first, to tell wine what version of Window$ API to run by default. It usually lives somewhere like /usr/bin or /usr/sbin or usr/local/bin or ... etc.
I tried to find winecfg, and the only thing I came up with, using Gtkfind find file was this:

Code: Select all

/initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib/wine/.wh.winecfg.exe.so
/initrd/pup_rw/usr/bin/.wh.winecfg.
I looked in the folders, making sure to show the hidden files--there was no such file by those names, in either folder. So I tried entering one of these in the terminal, and got this result (yes, I used the ls command, because nothing happened when I entered that long string of text...hey, I was desperate, LOL). Here's what I got:

WhoDo wrote:Running winecfg will create a directory under /root called /Win_C or similar. That will contain your Window$ and Program Files directories for installation of programs.
None of this happened, for the reasons stated above. :(

Oddly enough, I did find IrfanView in some folders other than the Windows Program Files folder where this program is installed:

/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/IrfanView
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/windows/Start Menu/Programs/Graphics programs/IrfanView
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/windows/Start Menu/Programs/Graphics programs/IrfanView/IrfanView 3.95.lnk
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/windows/Start Menu/Programs/Graphics programs/IrfanView/Uninstall IrfanView.lnk
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/windows/Start Menu/Programs/Graphics programs/IrfanView/About IrfanView.lnk
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/windows/Start Menu/Programs/Graphics programs/IrfanView/IrfanView Help.lnk
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/Program Files/IrfanView
/initrd/pup_rw/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/IrfanView
I say "oddly enough" because it looks as if what you said might have tried to happen...but when I click on the i_view32.exe file inside that folder, nothing happens.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with my installation of Wine? If the latter is the case, how do I uninstall it and reinstall it again? (I tried to see if the program could be removed with the PupGet uninstaller--it can't.)

Any help would be very much appreciated!

WhoDo

#4 Post by WhoDo »

silverojo wrote:Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with my installation of Wine? If the latter is the case, how do I uninstall it and reinstall it again? (I tried to see if the program could be removed with the PupGet uninstaller--it can't.)

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Don't bother uninstalling. Just delete those directories under /root/.wine and you're there. You'll have to click on the eye in your Rox window to display it.

Reinstall using the 1.17 version of Wine from the repositories. I know that one works, and the later versions have been problematic at times.

BTW, you won't find a .wh file because it has been notionally deleted from the system so the system hides it from you.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

pupshock

#5 Post by pupshock »

sorry for this stupid question:
in a dual-boot setup,
if the program has already been installed in Windows,
does it need to be installed again in Wine/Linux to /root/win_C?

WhoDo

#6 Post by WhoDo »

pupshock wrote:if the program has already been installed in Windows, does it need to be installed again in Wine/Linux to /root/win_C?
Depends on the program. Those that require certain files to be in specific locations probably would. Otherwise no.

silverojo

#7 Post by silverojo »

WhoDo wrote:Don't bother uninstalling. Just delete those directories under /root/.wine and you're there. You'll have to click on the eye in your Rox window to display it.
OK--done.
WhoDo wrote:Reinstall using the 1.17 version of Wine from the repositories. I know that one works, and the later versions have been problematic at times.
Got a direct link to this? The only versions I can find (on dotpups.de and puppylinux.org) are:

0.9.17 (dotpups.de)
0.9.22 (dotpups.de)
0.9.28 (dotpups.de)
0.9.9 (puppylinux.org)

I also tried the Puppy Google Search at wellminded.com, and came up with zilch. :(

Thanks in advance! Image

WhoDo

#8 Post by WhoDo »

silverojo wrote:
WhoDo wrote:Reinstall using the 1.17 version of Wine from the repositories. I know that one works, and the later versions have been problematic at times.
Got a direct link to this?
Sorry, my bad. I should have written 0.9.17 - failing memory aka Oldtimer's Disease. :oops:

silverojo

#9 Post by silverojo »

WhoDo wrote:Sorry, my bad. I should have written 0.9.17 - failing memory aka Oldtimer's Disease. :oops:
LOL! Got it, installed it, and now I have a new problem. I ran winecfg, and here's what happened:

sh-3.00# winecfg
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.
Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/root', starting in the Windows directory.
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.
Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/', starting in the Windows directory.
fixme:shell:SHCreateDirectoryExW Show system error message, creating path L"c:\\windows\\profiles\\root\\Desktop", failed with error 3
err:shell:SHGetFolderPathW Failed to create directory 'L"c:\\windows\\profiles\\root\\Desktop"'.
err:shell:SHGetFolderPathW Failed to create directory 'L"c:\\windows\\profiles\\root\\Desktop"'.
err:commdlg:IShellBrowserImpl_BrowseObject could not browse to folder
err:commdlg:IShellBrowserImpl_BrowseObject could not browse to folder
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x406e32ce (thread 0009), starting debugger...
sh-3.00#  
The general idea is that Wine can't find the C: drive, which is odd considering that it's mounted. Here's the path to C:\My Documents, for instance, which works fine when I'm reading and writing to files inside it:

/initrd/mnt/dev_save/My Documents

And of course, according to MUT, it's mounted. :)

So...how do I make Wine realize this, and connect to my hard drive? Thanks in advance!

WhoDo

#10 Post by WhoDo »

silverojo wrote:Got it, installed it, and now I have a new problem. I ran winecfg, and here's what happened:...[snip]...

The general idea is that Wine can't find the C: drive, which is odd considering that it's mounted.
No, what winecfg is looking for is the virtual C:\Windows directory under /root in your Puppy partition.

If you installed the dotpup correctly, you should end up with a menu item for winecfg in your menu. Clicking that should give you a dialog that lets you select which version of Windows you want wine to emulate by default (bottom right corner of dialog). I usually choose Windows XP. When you click OK to finish the configuration the first time, then virtual C:\ is created under /root/.wine

One step at a time if you don't want to get caught with both feet off the deck! That usually means you won't have a leg to stand on ... :P

jason.b.c

#11 Post by jason.b.c »

WhoDo wrote:
silverojo wrote:Got it, installed it, and now I have a new problem. I ran winecfg, and here's what happened:...[snip]...

The general idea is that Wine can't find the C: drive, which is odd considering that it's mounted.
No, what winecfg is looking for is the virtual C:\Windows directory under /root in your Puppy partition.

If you installed the dotpup correctly, you should end up with a menu item for winecfg in your menu. Clicking that should give you a dialog that lets you select which version of Windows you want wine to emulate by default (bottom right corner of dialog). I usually choose Windows XP. When you click OK to finish the configuration the first time, then virtual C:\ is created under /root/.wine

One step at a time if you don't want to get caught with both feet off the deck! That usually means you won't have a leg to stand on ... :P

i'm having almost the same trouble with mine , when i try to run the command

winecfg
i get an error that

/root/.wine/drive_c/
cannot be found / read...

what the heck..?
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]

WhoDo

#12 Post by WhoDo »

jason.b.c wrote:i'm having almost the same trouble with mine , when i try to run the command

winecfg
i get an error that

/root/.wine/drive_c/

what the heck..?
Don't run winecfg from a terminal. Run it from the GUI instead, even just by clicking on it in a Rox window, and choose a Windows version. When you do that and exit the GUI, winecfg will create the /root/.wine/drive_c directory and its sub-directories and files.

jason.b.c

#13 Post by jason.b.c »

WhoDo wrote:
jason.b.c wrote:i'm having almost the same trouble with mine , when i try to run the command

winecfg
i get an error that

/root/.wine/drive_c/

what the heck..?
Don't run winecfg from a terminal. Run it from the GUI instead, even just by clicking on it in a Rox window, and choose a Windows version. When you do that and exit the GUI, winecfg will create the /root/.wine/drive_c directory and its sub-directories and files.
yeah , i've tried that as well..

but no luck... , the /root/.wine/drive_c is created but corrupt..
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]

WhoDo

#14 Post by WhoDo »

jason.b.c wrote:yeah , i've tried that as well..

but no luck... , the /root/.wine/drive_c is created but corrupt..
How is it "corrupt"? Can you enter the directory and view any of its contents? Are there subdirectories called Windows and Program Files in there? What type of Puppy install? Do you have an encrypted pup_save file? How much free space is left?

silverojo

#15 Post by silverojo »

WhoDo wrote:Don't run winecfg from a terminal. Run it from the GUI instead, even just by clicking on it in a Rox window, and choose a Windows version. When you do that and exit the GUI, winecfg will create the /root/.wine/drive_c directory and its sub-directories and files.
I've tried running it through a terminal AND through Rox, and I get the GUI that you mention.

However....

When I click Applications Settings, I get an error message that says, "You don't have a drive C. This is not so great. Remember to click 'Add' in the drives tab to create one."

I did as directed, used the tab button to tab down to the OK button...but nothing happens. The program just closes.

I think one problem I'm having is that my resolution is too low for this particular program...but in the Xorg Video Wizard, I can't increase my resolution greater than 640x480 (my default). I guess you have to click on the OK button, but I'm unable to do this. :(

I tried tabbing extra times, in case I was clicking on the wrong button (that's out of view). But none of the buttons works, at least not without clicking it with a mouse.

Is there some way I can just manually create the virtual C:\ in the /root/.wine folder, using Rox to make a "drive_c" folder in the /root/.wine folder? If so, which subdirectories would I have to create in that subfolder?

Or is any of this even possible?

Sorry if these questions are stupid...but since I can't increase the resolution temporarily, I'm pretty much going at this blindly.

WhoDo

#16 Post by WhoDo »

silverojo wrote:I've tried running it through a terminal AND through Rox, and I get the GUI that you mention.

However....

When I click Applications Settings, I get an error message that says, "You don't have a drive C. This is not so great. Remember to click 'Add' in the drives tab to create one."

I did as directed, used the tab button to tab down to the OK button...but nothing happens. The program just closes.
No, you don't need to go into the Applications Settings. At the bottom of the default tab is an option to select your Windows version.
silverojo wrote:I think one problem I'm having is that my resolution is too low for this particular program...but in the Xorg Video Wizard, I can't increase my resolution greater than 640x480 (my default). I guess you have to click on the OK button, but I'm unable to do this.
Ok, hit Alt+F7 to enter move mode on the active window and then use the arrow keys to move the window up far enough to see the bottom.

Hope that helps.

klu9

#17 Post by klu9 »

man, this whole thread makes me so wish for an English release of Hacao: all the goodness of Puppy, the eyecandy of EzPup, the work essential of OpenOffice.org, Skype and Wine & WineXS: all of it preconfigured and ready to go out of the box! (only missing Opera :wink: )

or I'll just have to run regular Puppy & Hacao side by side and write down the translations for all the dialogs. Here's to learning Vietnamese!! :lol:

jonyo

#18 Post by jonyo »

Just what I'm lookin for..Just loaded wine for the first time & quite eager for a taste :lol: ..

jason.b.c

#19 Post by jason.b.c »

WhoDo wrote: How is it "corrupt"? Can you enter the directory and view any of its contents? Are there subdirectories called Windows and Program Files in there? What type of Puppy install? Do you have an encrypted pup_save file? How much free space is left?

No i cannot...!

Nope...

Full on hard drive....

i don't understand this.... :lol:
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!

WhoDo

#20 Post by WhoDo »

jason.b.c wrote:i don't understand this.... :lol:
I'm starting to agree with you. What version of Wine did you try to install? I usually use 0.9.17 and install it from PSI as a dotpup. That creates an entry in the menu for winecfg. Clicking on that opens the config dialog and allows you to select a Windows version. Click ok and wait while winecfg creates the necessary directory structure and away you go.

I would suggest deleting whatever you previously created under /root/.wine and start again using the version in PSI. If you have a full hard drive install, and there is plenty of free disk capacity, I can't explain your problem if that doesn't work.

Hope that helps.