Survey -- Usergroups

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

How to organize this forum seems to me to be a topic worthy of discussion. What can be done with new forums, that couldn't be done with Usergroups in this forum? I really don't like the idea of putting Puppy information even more places than it already is. Already we have this forum, the old forum - which as Lobster points out is still active and usable - the Wiki, the main Puppy website, and various webpages of stuff that applies to Puppy which are maintained by forum members. There are many things I remember seeing in one of those places that I haven't been able to find again, for instance to answer a post in the forum. Puppy is already too scatterbrained and disorganized for anyone to remember where everything is, and there is no reason to think that discipline will improve. Please, let's keep it simple.

rarsa

#17 Post by rarsa »

Here my opinion:

We are not discussing anything private so I don't understand why we sould have private areas.

I think that the open nature of the forum has helped to attract new hands and brains. If there is a toppic where I'm mildly interested I may read the post and find that I can apport something. The same happens with other people. Having a private area will only limit the pool of brains working on an issue.

So I vote for not fragmenting the puppy community in silos be user groups or other forums.

It's not like there are thousands of regulars to this forum. Right now I think that the noise to signal radio of this forum is quite acceptable.

EarlSmith

#18 Post by EarlSmith »

I agree with you all, we don't need to fragment the Puppy Forum.
I just did an experiment with the search function that might be a solution. When you enter a word like "openoffice" you can find all the posts with that word in the post.
How about if we adopt a standard like if you want to talk about a certain subject like "openoffice" just make sure your post has that word in it.
For example:

Openoffice - this post is about the .......etc

This way we have a usergroup buried in the forum but easy to keep organized and be able to scan.

What do you think guys???

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

Sounds like an interesting idea. What do you you mean by 'easy to keep organized' though? :)

#20 Post by Guest »

Maybe another section titled Development\Compiling ......And be very strict with posts....Anything that is out of context get rid of

And a sticky section with a list of known Apps that compile ok and any fixes required.

But then again if effort is put into getting the build enviroment right things should work and any compile time problems should be directed to the authors

EarlSmith

#21 Post by EarlSmith »

Well as for organization, have a list of projects in the Wiki and the key search words to go with them. Then if a person wants to contribute to the discussion, go to the forum, search on the keyword, read the posts under that keyword, then write a post if you have something new to say, just make sure your posts contains the keyword also. (sorry, too many ",")
We could then put the post under any heading where it applied. It really would not matter.
Then everyone could still read all the post, no secret areas. But if you don't include the search word, your post would not show up, so disipline is self imposed.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#22 Post by Ian »

Lobster & I have started using the PUNBB forum.

ozboomer

#23 Post by ozboomer »

To look at a couple of the current Forums and Topics...

Bugs
+-- Puppy_1.0.4 : gtkfind 0.3.4 : my problem
+-- Puppy_0.9.7 : gkdial 0.2.3 : resolution included in upcoming release

Additional S/W
+-- KDE Desktop : Windowing inoperative
+-- bash : to allow real scripting

So, my thoughts might include having the first 'item' in a Topic as being a WikiWord (so there can be an associated item in the Wiki). This also allows searching for the WikiWord in both the Wiki and the forums. Whether the moderators of each forum want to 'enforce' the product/application name is something for them (are they going to be cuthroat and if something doesn't match the convention will it be dumped, moved or what?). Secondary words/product names can be extra search terms on the forums as well as the Wiki, viz:

Wiki: http://.../script.php?Puppy_1.0.4
- would return the page with all info/support things, etc for that product
Wiki: Search: Puppy_1.0.4 gtkfind
- would return pages with those items both on the page

Forums: Topics would be sortable by product (item) name
- searching can be done much the same as the wiki...
- search for: 'Puppy_1.0.4 gtkfind'

Would a sticky topic in a forum include the 'valid' product names?

Just more random jottings - I'm having that sort of day where I can't think too straight but I want to get the thoughts out and into the mix...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#24 Post by Flash »

bladehunter wrote: ......And be very strict with posts....Anything that is out of context get rid of
ozboomer wrote:....Whether the moderators of each forum want to 'enforce' the product/application name is something for them (are they going to be cuthroat and if something doesn't match the convention will it be dumped, moved or what?)....
Well, JohnM has said he won't delete a post except for objectionable content.

How about a "Doghouse" where posts that don't meet the minimum standard (if that is ever decided) could be sent, perhaps with appropriate hoots of derision. If the person who made the post wants to make the effort, he or she could rework it and resubmit it. Of course, this implies that forum moderators would really have to know something about the topic, so I'd be out of a job. :lol: It also implies a lot more work for moderators. It would be like grading papers, or maybe like editing a newspaper.

puppian

#25 Post by puppian »

EarlSmith wrote:Well as for organization, have a list of projects in the Wiki and the key search words to go with them. Then if a person wants to contribute to the discussion, go to the forum, search on the keyword, read the posts under that keyword, then write a post if you have something new to say, just make sure your posts contains the keyword also. (sorry, too many ",")
I think this idea is good. :idea: Maybe this wiki page (or this) can be updated to do the job?

And I have modified the html code of the forum's search page a bit and is putting it here for testing:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/about
You can copy the codes to the wiki page you want.

The page seems working. Just type "open* AND *office" will return almost all posts related to openoffice. And as the search function will "Search topic title and message text", it's not neccessary for people to include the keywords in the title when posting. As long as the keyword is somewhere in the post, it'll show up.

If you only want the development related posts to show up when searched, perhaps you can ask in the wiki page that everyone who posts to include keywords such as "DevRelated" somewhere in their post (it should be a word that 'common people' won't use). Then when doing the search, type "open* AND *office AND DevRelated", and the posts on open office development will show up.
8)
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

EarlSmith

#26 Post by EarlSmith »

Here is my idea:
In a Wiki Page list project names and even list shorthand representations to use in the post.;

Projects under Discussion

Business Accounting - BA
Home Accounting - HA
OpenOffice - OO
Investing - INV
Music - Music
etc....

Then in the post use it something like this:

BA
In our discussion of BA, we need to try to decide if Tcl can be used to write the software ........etc.

Then the search feature would find all the post with BA, even if it is posted under "Users", "Bugs", or whatever.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#27 Post by Flash »

EarlSmith wrote:Here is my idea:
In a Wiki Page list project names and even list shorthand representations to use in the post.;

Business Accounting - BA
Home Accounting - HA
OpenOffice - OO
Investing - INV
Music - Music
etc....

Then in the post use it something like this:

BA
In our discussion of BA, we need to try to decide if Tcl can be used to write the software ........etc.

Then the search feature would find all the post with BA, even if it is posted under "Users", "Bugs", or whatever.
As long as each acronym is spelled out at the beginning of any post that uses it. There's a special place in hell for writers who assume that everyone already knows what an acronym stands for.

raffy

Key words

#28 Post by raffy »

It's something being done by the moderators already - changing the topics to reflect the essence of the first post. So they will now try to add keywords (or abbreviation/shorthand). Whether keywords or abbreviations are used will come naturally through practice.

Related forum topics will be listed by volunteers in an appropriate Wiki page, and the forum participants can then reply (to a new post about an old problem) with something like: "Before you go any further, please read [link to Wiki page] then come back here if you feel there is something new that must be discussed."

A good example of a currently needed wiki page is about USB flash installations, which lately has appeared often in the forum.

Edit: Splendid work there, Puppian (pls insert your correct name in the FoundationPuppy page).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Key words

#29 Post by Flash »

raffy wrote:....A good example of a currently needed wiki page is about USB flash installations, which lately has appeared often in the forum....
What's needed then, is for someone who knows about booting from USB flash drives to read through the 135 instances I found by searching the forum for "USB AND flash," then write a Wiki page which is comprehensive enough to cover all of them. Any takers? :lol:

EarlSmith

#30 Post by EarlSmith »

Forum Project Organization

Great Idea.
Except, as things change and new ideas are discussed you would need to update the page on an ongoing basis.
I think I would rather do the search and look at the recent post since my last visit. In that way a new person could read all the post on a subject they were interested in and come up to speed with the rest of us rather quickly. You would not be required to use the abbreviations, just the keyword.
Using this post, just search on the "Forum Project Organization"
If you use copy and past it would take very little time.
In general discussions, you would not be bothered using this method, only if you are wouking on special projects with other people.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#31 Post by Flash »

ForumProjectOrganization

EarlSmith, your idea of using the search engine as a way of organizing project posts is pretty neat. How about if you run the keywords together into a CamelCase word, as I did above? I don't know what the forum search engine's rules are, but it seems to me that any search engine would always find a single word quicker and more efficiently than a string of several words - unless you remember to tell it to be literal and only look for perfect matches. Plus a CamelCase word would be compatible with the Wiki, for whatever use that might turn out to be.

Or you could use underlines instead of spaces: Forum_Project_Organization.

Mathiasdm

#32 Post by Mathiasdm »

Just an idea... Perhaps this php mod could be installed: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=265040

It allows for subforums to be created (as seen on this page: http://ptifo.clanmckeen.com/ ).

I'd choose for a different sectioning of the 'Advanced' forums.
-Puppy package development
With subsections: General, GUI, configuration software
-Completed Puppy Packages (one topic per package, only finished packages allowed)
-Programming
With subsections: Simple programming (perhaps with links to programming guides), Advanced programming
-Cutting Edge software
With subsections: General, Live-CD

puppian

#33 Post by puppian »

Flash wrote:ForumProjectOrganization
EarlSmith, your idea of using the search engine as a way of organizing project posts is pretty neat. How about if you run the keywords together into a CamelCase word, as I did above? I don't know what the forum search engine's rules are, but it seems to me that any search engine would always find a single word quicker and more efficiently than a string of several words - unless you remember to tell it to be literal and only look for perfect matches. Plus a CamelCase word would be compatible with the Wiki, for whatever use that might turn out to be.
Or you could use underlines instead of spaces: Forum_Project_Organization.
I have put the idea HERE
See if it's what you want :)

EarlSmith, I think you can edit it the way like you mentioned, and use CamelCase keywords as others suggested:

Business Accounting - BusAcct
Home Accounting - HomeAcct
OpenOffice - OpenOffice
etc....

What do you guys think?
ps.searching for ForumProjectOrganization and Forum_Project_Organization doesn't work (returns nothing), perhaps the words contain too many letters? Words like 'WikiWord' work though...
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

EarlSmith

#34 Post by EarlSmith »

I have had a problem with the search feature before. I think it only successfully does searches on works of 6 letters or less. In longer words, it returns nothing.
Words like Forum_project....I think it is able to find Forum and skip the rest of it.
Or it sometimes works on longer words like Accounting but other times it does not work!

May someone can check it out and figure out what is going on.
If it would search longer words it would be great with me to CamelCase the key
words.

I think this would make organization of projects in this way easy to maintain and still maintain the simplicity of the structure of the forum.

EarlSmith

#35 Post by EarlSmith »

Also, another point. I know you can select to see the newest post first in the list, but how do you make it stick. It seems to be oldest first as default.