How to skip Xorg wizard & go directly to Xorg?

Using applications, configuring, problems
mleschishin

How to skip Xorg wizard & go directly to Xorg?

#1 Post by mleschishin »

My Puppy is broken - my video is really messed up. Using Puppy 2.16 on a full hard drive install. I can't get Xorg to work, however, I can get Xvesa to work, but the toolbar and menu are missing from jwm! I fired up the CD (Xorg and Xvesa work fine from the live CD) and looked at /etc/X11/xorg.config on the hard drive and see that it was not picking up the correct parameters for my monitor. I managed to find a good backup copy of xorg.config and renamed it. Then I shutdown the CD. Now I want to fire up the hard drive version with my fixed xorg.config. How do I go about skipping the Xorg wizard (which I understand will overwrite my good xorg.config) and go directly to Xorg? I know I can get back to the command line from Xvesa if I do CTRL-ALT-DEL when Xvesa (with broken jwm) is on the display.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Dougal

#2 Post by Dougal »

If you have a xorg.conf, then the wizard shouldn't run.

However, the app ddcprobe is used to get a HW-profile, to see if you're booting on a different machine, and it doesn't always work properly, thus causing the wizard to run.

You should look in /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin for a line that looks like

Code: Select all

DDCPROBE="`ddcprobe`"
and add something to make sure it doesn't fail:

Code: Select all

DDCPROBE="`ddcprobe`"
case "$DDCPROBE" in *edidfail*) DDCPROBE="`ddcprobe`" ;; esac
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

mleschishin

#3 Post by mleschishin »

Dougal:

I will try your suggestion tonite.

In the meantime, I tried MU's suggestion here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 28&t=17553

Could not get Xorg to run, but Xvesa runs okay.

While I was there, I checked xerrs.log after I tried starting Xorg and got this:
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/, removing from list!
## Error ##
File ~/.events not found
Aborting ...
jwm
JWM: warning: configuration error: could not open /root/.jwmrc or /usr/local/etc/system.jwmrc
JWM: warning: color depth is 16, disabling icon alpha channel
I fixed up the jwm problem by copying over .jwmrc from the CD. Now I have my toolbar & menu back.

Does the above error log report offer any clues or confirm what's in your reply?

Thanks.

Mark