Installing failure (so far) - HP Deskjet 3320 Printer

Booting, installing, newbie
dewdrop

#1 Post by dewdrop »

Greeting Puppy People,

I have tried 2 different settings to install captioned printer starting with the Setup Printing feature in the WizardWizard -

1st try - I used the 600 (2 Cartridge) setting which produced
the ijs-pcl-601 selection in the PDQ Printer File - I also selected the USB Port Printer Driver for the Kernel Device Driver (This printer only has the USB Port - no serial or parallel port connections).

Then I open the xpdq to begin adding the printer information into various slots. I selected local port and put in /dev/usb/lp0 - also tried /dev/usb/lp1, as suggested. Upon completion of all the entries, I tried to print something using the Open Office word processing software. No luck.

Am I missing something here, or is it just that I have to try each HP listing in the PDQ Printer File and see which one works? If any!

Thanks for any assistance.

Dewdrop

I guess I should add that I'm using Chubby Puppy on a 512 MB Cruzer Memory Stick....although that may not have a whole lot to do with installing a printer. Also, the 2nd try was with the Deskjet 900 info...same result.....nada.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

The USB printer might be the problem.

If you could get hold of a parallel port printer you could try the setup wizard and work out what settings are required to get a printer working and retry the HP.
Then again it might just be the lack of the correct driver causing the problem.

Check the Hardware section on the Puppy Wiki to see if your printer is listed.

dewdrop

#3 Post by dewdrop »

Ian,

Just checked the WIKI Page. Sure enough...my printer is listed as not working. Thanks for the info.

Dewdrop

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

Once I get CUPS working I'll compile the cups driver for this printer as a test as long as you commit to test it.

If I forget, kindly remind me.

dewdrop

#5 Post by dewdrop »

rarsa wrote:Once I get CUPS working I'll compile the cups driver for this printer as a test as long as you commit to test it.

If I forget, kindly remind me.
Rarsa,

Sure thing. This is the one thing in Puppy that I would really like to have working.....I know it works in other flavors of Linux, but Puppy is the only one that I can put on a memory stick with ease. Having the CUPS available will help many more people than just me.

I usually try to check all of the areas of the Forum, so hopefully you will title your effort with CUPS in some manner that is easily recognized.

Dewdrop