FatSlacko - Problem booting from usb

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Konstellation

FatSlacko - Problem booting from usb

#1 Post by Konstellation »

After I booted FatSlacko from the cd, I made a save file in my usb pendrive. When I tried booting from usb, it gave me this error.
NTLDR is missing.
Tried both types of saves; 2fs & 4fs. Still the same error.
I have no problem booting from my hard disk which has Linux Mint / Xp dual boot installed.

rcrsn51

Re: FatSlacko - Problem booting from usb

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Konstellation wrote:NTLDR is missing.
That's a Windows message! How did you set up your bootable flash drive? The Setup menu has a couple of choices.

Konstellation

#3 Post by Konstellation »

The process was automated by FatSlacko. Just like with the previous Puppy, you just select the usb drive to save your save file, put the filename, select whether you want to save as .2fs or .4fs extension. Then it'll ask you whether you want to copy the file needed to boot to your usb drive, which it'll retrieve from the cd.

Then you just configure your bios to boot from usb, and it should boot correctly. At least, this was how I did it with my previous Lucid Puppy.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Please post a list of all the files you find on the flash drive.

Konstellation

#5 Post by Konstellation »

Don't have the pendrive with me right now. But they are 2 files. One is my save file, and the other 1 that it asked whether i wanted to copy it it to the usb drive. If I remember correctly, both .sfs files maybe.

01micko

#6 Post by 01micko »

Konstellation,

First, be sure the 'boot' flag is set on the drive. This can be done from Menu>System>Gparted partition manager. choose your usb drive and a nice GUI will show up showing the status of your drive. You can reformat it here too if you want.

Then, start again with the live cd, go to Menu>Setup>Puppy Universal Installer. You'll see a list. first is usb flash drive. Choose that and follow the prompts.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Volhout

installing

#7 Post by Volhout »

Konstellation,

You did not install on USB drive yet ... only create a save file on USB...

Try this:

Please boot from CD, then run "bootflash install puppy on USB" from setup menu. Choose USB HDD (your USB stick), point to the CD drive, where it finds the ISO image.

Then reboot system without CD, and boot from USB.

Then make a save file on the USB drive.

That should fix the problem.

Konstellation

#8 Post by Konstellation »

Thanks, guys. The universal installer caused system panic & rebooted before it finished making the usb drive bootable. Maybe a stability issue. The "bootflash install puppy on usb" worked.