Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 07:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Puppy CD stopped booting. Others still boot.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
macjones

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2005, 03:11    Post_subject:  Puppy CD stopped booting. Others still boot.  

G'day, Not being up to ISOs and checksums, etc. I bought a CD - Puppy Unleashed v 1.0.4 directly from Barry, a couple of weeks ago. Ran it 8-9 times and everything was terrific. Then I switched off as usual and, next day, on again. There was no bootup. It was just like having no CD in the drive. Had several more attempts, checked the BIOS setting, still nothing. Ran Mepis, PCLinuxOS and Morphix (all these are Live CDs) and all started up as you'd expect. Tried Puppy again. Still goes straight through to the harddrive.
I'm a dummy, not a geek, so anyone have any ideas about this?
javascript:emoticon('Confused')
Confused

Ian
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2005, 05:46    Post_subject:  

The CD may have a smudge or a mark on it.
Have a look at both sides at the start point right near the hole in the middle and see if you can detect any flaws.
Bruce B

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2005, 06:56    Post_subject:  

I suspect the disc - I tend to think CD discs are a stable medium. But some times they go bad.

I think Puppy is mostly on the outer edge of the disk, due to its small size, relative to the capacity of the CD disc. It is very easy to get smudges on that portion of the disc.

Not to mention scratches.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2005, 08:28    Post_subject:  

Boy, it definitely sounds like a bad CD, since other CDs will boot. For what it's worth, the guide track on all CDs is determined at manufacture. It begins at the center and goes outward in a continuous spiral to the outer edge. Since the drive can only spin the CD one way, data cannot be recorded inward from the outer edge. Hard drives store their data in concentric rings, beginning at the outer edge and working in to the center.
Bruce B

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2005, 16:51    Post_subject:  

Flash wrote:
Boy, it definitely sounds like a bad CD, since other CDs will boot. For what it's worth, the guide track on all CDs is determined at manufacture. It begins at the center and goes outward in a continuous spiral to the outer edge. Since the drive can only spin the CD one way, data cannot be recorded inward from the outer edge. Hard drives store their data in concentric rings, beginning at the outer edge and working in to the center.

Your right. They do write from the inside outward. I wonder if when doing a full CD disc copy to the hard drive if it reads from the outside in, because I've noticed the transfer speed is slower near the end of the copy.

PS - I guess Barry will replace the CD
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2005, 17:46    Post_subject:  

I've noticed that the data from the CD seems to slow down at the end too, and wondered about it.

If what I've read is correct, that the data on a CD is in a spiral just like the spiral on a record (what's a record? Smile ), I don't see how it would be possible to read the data from the CD from the outside inward. If the CD drive always spins the CD the same way, the spiral can only be read in one direction.

Hmm, wouldn't CD file systems have to be similar to tape drive file systems?
Bruce B

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2005, 18:34    Post_subject:  

CD-Recordable FAQ This is one of the most excellent pages on CD-Recordables, and not technically difficult to understand. And he seems to know about everything on the subject.
macjones

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep 2005, 01:01    Post_subject:  

Thanks for the replies. I had already tried cleaning the CD, to no effect. I gave it a very careful lookover and could not find anything showing. So I gave it another very thorough clean, still the same result. So then I thought "Nothing to lose" and I used some water as well as a new clean cloth. But, sadly, no success. I checked with one of the others and it booted up fine. So, I'm back to square one. Perhaps I shall have to take the bit between my teeth and have a go at downloading the ISO.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep 2005, 02:42    Post_subject:  

Is the disk warped slightly? Look at edge on and from different sides? This happened to me once.

Barry seems to be working flat out on Puppy 1.0.5, so wait a bit before downloading. If he was not so busy he would have replied by now. I am sure if you return the disk he will send out a new one and I am also sure he would be interested in what has happened.

The process of burning ISO's is well documented on the wiki.
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/GettingStarted

Basically you download a file (by clicking on it from a browser) and then burn it onto a burnable CD using Burncdcc (I do this on my sisters XP fueled PC as I find it 100% reliable) or one of the many CD-burner programs . . .

It is worth learning how to do

Good luck

macjones

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2005, 00:37    Post_subject:  

Lobster, Thanks for your suggestions. I have sent the errant disc to Barry and ordered a new one. But before that I downloaded the ISO for 1.0.4. Also Burncdcc. I should add that I am using Windows 98.
I now have a zipped copy of the file and an unzipped copy, both sitting in My Documents. I try to burn but keep getting 'Cannot find file' error message. I have tried every combination of the components of 'Puppy-unleashed-core-1.0.4.tar.gz' plus 'iso'. Are you able to tell me exactly what the file name should be? I have tried including 'c:/my documents' but still to no avail.
I also tried using Nero burning programme - everything fine until I reach the same stage. Then 'Cannot find file'.
O.K. I can wait (impatiently) for the new disc from Barry but I feel so frustrated and now I want to know what I am doing wrong!
TIA.

Confused

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2005, 00:59    Post_subject:  

That's pretty weird. While you are in Windows, can you see the .iso file you downloaded? It should be around 60MB.

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2005, 02:32    Post_subject:  

Flash, Winzip says there are 390 files totalling 8,274Kb in c:\my Documents\puppy-unleashed-core-1.0.4.tar.

Confused
macjones

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2005, 02:38    Post_subject:  

Sorry about that last one - I forgot to login again when I came back to the forum. So, the last post is from macjones. Confused
Ian
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2005, 03:14    Post_subject:  

You should have a file Puppy name and number ending in a dot iso, .iso.

This is the file you burn to CD as an image not a straight copy.

What program do you have to burn to CD.
Ian
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2005, 03:20    Post_subject:  

Sorry, sorry, I forgot that it is unleashed that you were using.
Embarassed

If you have the 1.0.4 unleashed package and an ext2 partition you really only need Puppy 1.0.4.

Pm me your postal address and I'll send you a Puppy 1.0.4 bootable CD.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum