Puppy CD stopped booting. Others still boot.

Booting, installing, newbie
macjones

Puppy CD stopped booting. Others still boot.

#1 Post by macjones »

G'day, Not being up to ISOs and checksums, etc. I bought a CD - Puppy Unleashed v 1.0.4 directly from Barry, a couple of weeks ago. Ran it 8-9 times and everything was terrific. Then I switched off as usual and, next day, on again. There was no bootup. It was just like having no CD in the drive. Had several more attempts, checked the BIOS setting, still nothing. Ran Mepis, PCLinuxOS and Morphix (all these are Live CDs) and all started up as you'd expect. Tried Puppy again. Still goes straight through to the harddrive.
I'm a dummy, not a geek, so anyone have any ideas about this?
javascript:emoticon(':?')
Confused
Smile - it's catching!

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

The CD may have a smudge or a mark on it.
Have a look at both sides at the start point right near the hole in the middle and see if you can detect any flaws.

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

I suspect the disc - I tend to think CD discs are a stable medium. But some times they go bad.

I think Puppy is mostly on the outer edge of the disk, due to its small size, relative to the capacity of the CD disc. It is very easy to get smudges on that portion of the disc.

Not to mention scratches.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Boy, it definitely sounds like a bad CD, since other CDs will boot. For what it's worth, the guide track on all CDs is determined at manufacture. It begins at the center and goes outward in a continuous spiral to the outer edge. Since the drive can only spin the CD one way, data cannot be recorded inward from the outer edge. Hard drives store their data in concentric rings, beginning at the outer edge and working in to the center.

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

Flash wrote:Boy, it definitely sounds like a bad CD, since other CDs will boot. For what it's worth, the guide track on all CDs is determined at manufacture. It begins at the center and goes outward in a continuous spiral to the outer edge. Since the drive can only spin the CD one way, data cannot be recorded inward from the outer edge. Hard drives store their data in concentric rings, beginning at the outer edge and working in to the center.
Your right. They do write from the inside outward. I wonder if when doing a full CD disc copy to the hard drive if it reads from the outside in, because I've noticed the transfer speed is slower near the end of the copy.

PS - I guess Barry will replace the CD

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

I've noticed that the data from the CD seems to slow down at the end too, and wondered about it.

If what I've read is correct, that the data on a CD is in a spiral just like the spiral on a record (what's a record? :) ), I don't see how it would be possible to read the data from the CD from the outside inward. If the CD drive always spins the CD the same way, the spiral can only be read in one direction.

Hmm, wouldn't CD file systems have to be similar to tape drive file systems?

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

CD-Recordable FAQ This is one of the most excellent pages on CD-Recordables, and not technically difficult to understand. And he seems to know about everything on the subject.

macjones

#8 Post by macjones »

Thanks for the replies. I had already tried cleaning the CD, to no effect. I gave it a very careful lookover and could not find anything showing. So I gave it another very thorough clean, still the same result. So then I thought "Nothing to lose" and I used some water as well as a new clean cloth. But, sadly, no success. I checked with one of the others and it booted up fine. So, I'm back to square one. Perhaps I shall have to take the bit between my teeth and have a go at downloading the ISO.
Smile - it's catching!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

Is the disk warped slightly? Look at edge on and from different sides? This happened to me once.

Barry seems to be working flat out on Puppy 1.0.5, so wait a bit before downloading. If he was not so busy he would have replied by now. I am sure if you return the disk he will send out a new one and I am also sure he would be interested in what has happened.

The process of burning ISO's is well documented on the wiki.
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/GettingStarted

Basically you download a file (by clicking on it from a browser) and then burn it onto a burnable CD using Burncdcc (I do this on my sisters XP fueled PC as I find it 100% reliable) or one of the many CD-burner programs . . .

It is worth learning how to do

Good luck
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

macjones

#10 Post by macjones »

Lobster, Thanks for your suggestions. I have sent the errant disc to Barry and ordered a new one. But before that I downloaded the ISO for 1.0.4. Also Burncdcc. I should add that I am using Windows 98.
I now have a zipped copy of the file and an unzipped copy, both sitting in My Documents. I try to burn but keep getting 'Cannot find file' error message. I have tried every combination of the components of 'Puppy-unleashed-core-1.0.4.tar.gz' plus 'iso'. Are you able to tell me exactly what the file name should be? I have tried including 'c:/my documents' but still to no avail.
I also tried using Nero burning programme - everything fine until I reach the same stage. Then 'Cannot find file'.
O.K. I can wait (impatiently) for the new disc from Barry but I feel so frustrated and now I want to know what I am doing wrong!
TIA.

:?
Smile - it's catching!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

That's pretty weird. While you are in Windows, can you see the .iso file you downloaded? It should be around 60MB.

#12 Post by Guest »

Flash, Winzip says there are 390 files totalling 8,274Kb in c:\my Documents\puppy-unleashed-core-1.0.4.tar.

:?

macjones

#13 Post by macjones »

Sorry about that last one - I forgot to login again when I came back to the forum. So, the last post is from macjones. :?
Smile - it's catching!

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Ian »

You should have a file Puppy name and number ending in a dot iso, .iso.

This is the file you burn to CD as an image not a straight copy.

What program do you have to burn to CD.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Ian »

Sorry, sorry, I forgot that it is unleashed that you were using.
:oops:

If you have the 1.0.4 unleashed package and an ext2 partition you really only need Puppy 1.0.4.

Pm me your postal address and I'll send you a Puppy 1.0.4 bootable CD.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#16 Post by Lobster »

:-)

It took me a while to get the hang of burning iso's - then you assume everyone knows . . .

I am assuming that you wish to burn a standard Puppy 1.0.4 to start with?
If so go here:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/

and download
puppy-1.0.4-mozilla.iso
then find that file with Burncdcc
and burn at the lowest speed (x2 or x4 usually) that Burncdcc displays

This will take the iso disk image and burn it on the CD

the file ending with gz is a gunzip - compressed file - which has to be un zipped first . . .

there are three possible versions of Puppy all ending with .iso

Standard - Open Office can be obtained with Pupget later
Barebones - smaller download
and Chubby - includes Open office

details and download locations of the iso are here:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/Puppy104

Hope this helps and is what you wish to do . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

macjones

#17 Post by macjones »

Thank you, Lobster! At last I got somewhere with it all. Followed your lead to the download site and then your precise file name and label(puppy-1.0.4-mozilla.iso). I previously did not have the correct file or label. The download took 1 hour 5 minutes - I'm on broadband but it is not a fast line.
Then used Burncdcc to burn a disc and HEY PRESTO - a disc which works! Yes, I have had two small sessions just to show me it works. Working in Windows 98 I had to put in the complete file path - 'c:\My Documents\My Downloads\puppy-1.0.4-mozilla.iso' for Burncdcc to find the file. After that it was only about 8 minutes before I was happy once more.
Now I can play with Puppy, thanks to you and everyone else in the forum.

:? :lol:
Smile - it's catching!