Can I extract a self extracting exe without winrar?

Using applications, configuring, problems
John Doe

Can I extract a self extracting exe without winrar?

#1 Post by John Doe »

In windows one can extract a "self extracting exe" with winrar. I tried unrar and couldn't get it to do the same (perhaps I missed the right switch).

Anyone know the answer or have another solution?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

you should be able to unzip a self-extracting file

try opening the file with TkZip

if it's a zip file you can type (in an rxvt window)
unzip the-file-name.exe

if it's a rar file, you can type:
unrar the-file-name.exe

John Doe

#3 Post by John Doe »

GuestToo wrote:unzip the-file-name.exe
This didn't work :(
To try it, I actually had to rename the file with a .zip extension.
GuestToo wrote:unrar the-file-name.exe
This gives me an error also. I had to use the 'e' command and it says:
SP23107.rar is not a RAR archive.

I checked it out on google and it looks like some you can and some you can't. It depends on whether or not the zip/exe is created as a multi-disk archive:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.l ... da66c366dc

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

If you post the link to the file, I'll see what if anything I can do.

I've had success running the self-extracting W32 files with wine. But that doesn't help with Puppy, because no one yet (to my knowledge) has got wine runningin Puppy, much less created a pupget or dotpup.

John Doe

#5 Post by John Doe »

Bruce B wrote:If you post the link to the file, I'll see what if anything I can do.
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate the concern. I don't have a problem getting at the files on one of my windows machines. I was more currious from the aspect of just knowing how to do it from this os.

I'll have to check out wine some time soon. I have minGW and cygwin running under windows, so why not wine running under linux?

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

John Doe wrote:I'll have to check out wine some time soon. I have minGW and cygwin running under windows, so why not wine running under linux?
Wine gets better with age. Wine on Linux is usually an easy setup, the problem is wine on Puppy. I ran into some snags trying to get it working. It wasn't important enough to me to have it to work through the snags.

ejmv

exe extraction

#7 Post by ejmv »

if you know the format is ZIP, under linux, "unzip thefile.exe" works, at least from newer versions.
I suppose unrar (or rar) and other will work the same way.
I remember a couple of years ago, most of these un(compressors) did not interpret the extra code of the EXE version.
But, unzip/unrar do the work nowadays

gliezl

#8 Post by gliezl »

Bruce B wrote:
John Doe wrote:I'll have to check out wine some time soon. I have minGW and cygwin running under windows, so why not wine running under linux?
Wine gets better with age. Wine on Linux is usually an easy setup, the problem is wine on Puppy. I ran into some snags trying to get it working. It wasn't important enough to me to have it to work through the snags.
Is ther a Dotpup for wine? :)

Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

gliezl, there is no wine dotpup yet, but theoretically, and maybe in truth and reality there is wine in the making.