CLI SMTP mailer

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
vovchik

#31 Post by vovchik »

Dear mcewanw,

I just wrote to the author of email and enquired about the status of the SSL-enabled version. I hope I get a response. If I do, I'll post it.

Regards,
vovchik

vovchik

Good news - email with SSL coming soon

#32 Post by vovchik »

The author of email just replied to my message enquiring about the status of an SSS-enabled email. He had the following to say:
Funny I should get this e-mail from you right now as I'm writing some code for eMail as I type this.

Surprisingly, I have had quite a few number of e-mails in the past month about this same thing. It seems that even though email took a small hiatus, it is growing in popularity which is neat.

It's in the process of getting a completely makeover right now and the next release will have a more secure code base, better mime type support and TLS/SSL support, of course. The size of the original binary may grow a small bit, but not by much. Also, a new dependency will obviously be introduced which will be OpenSSL (or GnuTLS since it has OpenSSL wrappers).

I'm actually in the process of relocating to a new state in the next week, so I probably won't have anything done with it in the next week. However, I'm hoping to have a new version released by mid-March at the latest. Who knows, I may get extra ambitious in the next few days and crank it out sooner.

What I will do is keep this e-mail and hit you back when the release is final and give you a "heads-up" on it in case you guys are in a hurry for a new release or anything.
I think we will have a new version soon!

Regards,
vovchik

mcewanw

looking forwards to the next release

#33 Post by mcewanw »

Well done. It was clearly a good move contacting the program's author. Looking forwards to the SSL-capable version of the program being ready.

cleancode

#34 Post by cleancode »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your support.

Just wanted to let the people that were waiting know, I release version 3.0.0 today and it contains TLS/SSL support. Finally, right?! :)

Please let me know if you have any issues so I can fix them!

Dean

trapster

#35 Post by trapster »

Here is a .pet compiled in 3.0 retro
Attachments
email-3.0.0.pet
Console based email with ssl support
(114.85 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

vovchik

#36 Post by vovchik »

Dear Trapster,

I was just making a dotpet of the same when I noticed that you had beaten me to it. Thanks. I noticed one small "bug" in the prog (in the version I compiled on Puppy 3.01) that has an easy workaround (and have notified the author already). If you leave the /usr/local/etc/email/email.conf variable

Code: Select all

# USE_TLS = 'false'
commented out (as is the default), you will get a segfault with an email provider that does not use tls. The solution is to uncomment this var as follows:

USE_TLS = 'false'
so that the var gets initialized (or 'true', if that is what you prefer). Furthermore, user conf files indicated on the command line by "--conf-file filename" should not have a full filespec (i.e. preceding dirs), since this file is read from the root of the user's home directory, as far as I can tell.

Hope this info is useful. The program works very nicely after that, and is in keeping with Puppy's philosophy of "small is beautiful". The binary is only 56k stripped! Thanks also to Dean Jones (the author, at cleancode.org) for including tls support and for posting the announcement about the email upgrade on our forum.

With kind regards,
vovchik

trapster

#37 Post by trapster »

vovchick,

I didn't mean to "butt in" but I downloaded the latest version this morning and while playing with it decided to make a .pet
I noticed the same seg fault and ended up doing the same as you with the TLS option. I didn't change it in the .pet because I thought it might be just my provider.
trapster
Maine, USA

wiak

stripped binary version

#38 Post by wiak »

I presume the dotpet provided by trapster hasn't had the binary stripped since it is still quite large. (Well, its not big anyway I suppose). I think it would be better to produce a dotpet with the stripped binary since small size is really what we are after here, no?

Perhaps vovchik or trapster could reupload an optimised dotpet?

Really great that this TLS version is ready at last, I've been waiting for this for a long time too.

wiak

segfault fixed

#39 Post by wiak »

I see that an update has now been released at cleancode.org to fix the segfault.

vovchik

Updated binary v. 3.0.1

#40 Post by vovchik »

Dear wiak,

Here is the updated binary. It is stripped and 56 k small. Just use Trapster's pet and copy over this binary into /usr/local/bin. It no longer segfaults with an uninitialized USE_TLS var.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
email-bin-3.0.1.tar.gz
(20.18 KiB) Downloaded 753 times

trapster

#41 Post by trapster »

Updated email-3.0.5
Attachments
email-3.0.5.pet
(53.05 KiB) Downloaded 718 times
trapster
Maine, USA

tombh

#42 Post by tombh »

I've actually been using this for a while, but have just updated to the latest version, 3.0.5, which is quite handy as it lets you send attachments with any filename extension.

This was a great find, thanks everyone :)
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

trapster

#43 Post by trapster »

Updated
email-3.1.2
Attachments
email-3.1.2.pet
(50.19 KiB) Downloaded 820 times
trapster
Maine, USA

mcewanw

Re: maybe tomorrow...

#44 Post by mcewanw »

HairyWill wrote:
mcewanw wrote:if my partner doesn't kill me for spending too much time with puppy linux recently....
You're not alone!!!
HairyWill wrote:
rarsa wrote:I thought it was just me!
Ahh but by that time its too late.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 907#102932
Hee hee hee. I just came across this old thread, and I realise with hindsight that I wasn't far wrong with my worrying... : My partner of the time walked out without warning roughly 8 months later (I heard the door slam in the early hours one morning when I actually was working away on some Puppy project or other!!!). Let that serve as a warning to you other puppians of the dangers inherent in puppy addiction!!! :-)

Anyway, I can especially laugh about it all now - since the "loss" proved to be a lucky thing for me: I moved on long ago and started a new family sigh... Though that may explain why I am not on Puppy forums terribly often nowadays... Family addiction has taken over.

Also, found this thread again because I am currently back using Motion video survelliance program and for emailing the motion detection captures online needed the great wee email CLI client from cleancode.org, which I note has undergone further developments since all of the above.
github mcewanw

trapster

#45 Post by trapster »

Updated
email-3.1.3
Attachments
email-3.1.3.pet
(51.27 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
trapster
Maine, USA

mcewanw

#46 Post by mcewanw »

trapster wrote:Updated
email-3.1.3
That's great. I'll try that one.
github mcewanw

L18L

#47 Post by L18L »

mcewanw wrote:... Though that may explain why I am not on Puppy forums terribly often nowadays... Family addiction has taken over.
Hope this helps: http://deanproxy.com/blog/posts/2012/12 ... ation.html
found this reading /usr/local/share/doc/email-3.1.3/AUTHORS :wink:

mcewanw

#48 Post by mcewanw »

L18L wrote:
mcewanw wrote:... Though that may explain why I am not on Puppy forums terribly often nowadays... Family addiction has taken over.
Hope this helps: http://deanproxy.com/blog/posts/2012/12 ... ation.html
found this reading /usr/local/share/doc/email-3.1.3/AUTHORS :wink:
hahaha. Yes, that gives the long answer. Short answer is to only work on Puppy Linux when your partner isn't around to notice... ;-)

My ex is German, by the way. But I think the issue is probably universal really - as suggested by the remarks of HairyWill, Nathan F and raffy: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 823#729823.
github mcewanw

sheldonisaac

email-3.1.3

#49 Post by sheldonisaac »

Hi, it hangs at

cat testfile.txt |  email  -V -s "hime"  sheldonisaac@fastmail.fm
Connecting to server smtp.gmail.com on port 465
Greeting the SMTP server...
May I ask for help, please?

Thank you,
Sheldon