Can't Boot From CD

Booting, installing, newbie
tazmanic

Can't Boot From CD

#1 Post by tazmanic »

Greetings Everyone,

I have been trying to boot (chubby) Puppy from the CD drive of my girlfriend's computer (which crawls like a tortoise on downers when running Windows XP). Anyways, Puppy begins the booting process then towards the end it lists several one line messages about how this and that does not have room to load, then it asks me for my password and goes no further. This CD has always booted fine on my computer. Here are some specs for my girlsfriend's computer:

XP with one NTFS partition
128mb RAM
Intel Celeron CPU 1200Mhz, 1.20Ghz

I'd really like to get Puppy to run on this machine and then abandon XP altogether.

Thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Have you put Barry's special pup001 file for use with NTFS on the computer? The only reason I know for Puppy to ask for a password is a corrupt pup001 file.

pup001

#3 Post by Guest »

Flash,

The pup001 file is something you have to download and add separately, right? I never did anything except try to boot from the CD. Do you think if I set up a FAT or Linux partition that the CD would boot?

-Thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

First, from Windows, see if you can find any kind of pup001 file on the hard drive. Delete it if you do.

Then, yes, I believe you download the special zip file, in Windows, and put it on the hard drive. I haven't needed it so I can't really help you much more.

Bruce B

Re: Can't Boot From CD

#5 Post by Bruce B »

tazmanic wrote:I'd really like to get Puppy to run on this machine and then abandon XP altogether.
Thanks
No, THANK YOU. Its music to my ears.

The minimum RAM requirements for standard Puppy is 128, short of that you need a swap partition. (well it is actually not that strict in some cases) I'm sorry I can't find you the link to the page, but its at goosee/puppy somewhere.

Maybe Chubby needs more.

In order to help you accomplish your most worthwhile goal, I'd like to suggest a plan. Test the system with the standard Puppy and boot 3 for no usage of the hard-drive.

See if it looks good in terms of compatibility, and meets your criteria, then go for a replacement of XP with Puppy.

Lots of ways to get rid of XP, then prepare your hard drive for installing Puppy to an non-NTFS filesystem and create the swap partion and all.

BTW - In answer to your first concern, as it is, you probably have to delete (from within XP) the pup001, if one exists, because it sounds as Flash said - corrupt.

I still don't know if you have enough physical RAM for Chubby, because I don't know the requirements.