Portable Puppy w/ Portable Virtual Box

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jasray

Portable Puppy w/ Portable Virtual Box

#1 Post by jasray »

Good news for Puppy lovers who want to add a little speed to their USB Puppy version--it works! Yesterday's post indicated that the latest Portable Virtual Box would not allow an install of Puppy (I am still using the PizzaPup 3.0). Not so. Although I love the Ubuntu set up on a 4GB drive (don't pay more than $20 for a platter like that--they're OVERPRICED all of the time at buy.com, staples, amazon, etc.), that's not what I really wanted--too large for popping into a cafe or library.

Tonight I just finished all the necessary testing: PizzaPup is running on a 1GB flash drive as a virtual hard drive on Portable Virtual Box. RAM = 700; Video = 32MB--no platter this time. Speed is phenomenal. Immediate FF update presented itself, added the Crystal SVG theme, FasterFox, and AD Block. Tor/Privoxy tuned like a watch. Speed surpasses my understanding--and 445MB of space left for whatever else my little Puppy desires.

The problem I had was installing the GRUB, even though it's as simple as water. I simply made an assumption that was rather ignorant.

Registry leave behinds: If the host does not have VirtualBox, registry entries will be left behind, dah. If the host already has VirtualBox (I know what you want to say), the registry entries must remain--they are part of the same system. I deleted them the first time and had to repair the install--easy.

Why do I promote VirtualBox and/or Qemu w/ Puppy on a flash? Because driver issues disappear. Sound cards work again. Printers work. CD/DVD ROM's work. The integration is wonderful--the speed "seems" much faster.

Take care--the links are in the last post. I'll update at the Portable VirtualBox site.

Sweetness and Light! All this was done with Puppy--thanks to the Team!

jas.