Questions re Puppy sharing NTSF drives over LAN

Booting, installing, newbie
acklan

Questions re Puppy sharing NTSF drives over LAN

#1 Post by acklan »

I just bought several (12) 250gb/8mb_cache IDE drives as water damaged, but were unharmed. I have an old style tower case, 13 drive bays, that I want to make a "Poor man" file server. What I have now is a PC runninig W2k pro with sharing turned on. I went to the other PC and mapped the drives so they could have more storage without the hassle of a server. I want to do the same here but use the Power of Puppy. I want to boot from a LS-120, I already have, on the floppy connection. Then mount the other drives as NTSF so that the LAN can see them. I will install two Promise IDE PCI cards along with the onboard IDE controller. The computer is a P-III 500mhz/512mbRAM/100mhz_FBS.

Questions:

1) Can this be done? Meaning will linux handle a NTFS partition?

2) Can I do this from the command prompt so I don't have the GUI over head.

3) Can I password protect the mapped drives in the puppy?

4) What am I over looking?

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

You would be better off using a Linux server, something like Esmith.
Trying to write to the nt filesystem from Puppy is not recommended.

acklan

#3 Post by acklan »

I would not be writing with puppy. Others would be writing with W2k from the other computers on the LAN. Puppy would sit ideal ,probilily with the monitor off, while the computerson the LAN retrieved and store files. Like I said in a different post I no expert. All I need is Puppy to load up with the computer so that the computers on the LAN can map to it's drives. That is why I made the reference about not even loading the GUI. I don't even plan for the puppy to be on a HD but to load strickly for a LS-120 floppy into a RAM drive.
Is Esmith an FTP server?

#4 Post by Guest »

If Puppy is the file server it will be handling the physical read & writes to and from the NTFS drives. To do want you want you would need to install Samba to handle the sharing for the windows machines and would be better of formatting the drives FAT32 as the linux kernel supports reading and writing to FAT32.

acklan

#5 Post by acklan »

That makes sence. All our files are currently stored on NTSF drives. I guess this wont work then.
Thank you for explanning.