Updated to 1.0.4; USB stick stopped booting [solved]

Booting, installing, newbie
PaulR

#16 Post by PaulR »

Anonymous wrote:Is there a linux version of this syslinux utility? I'm not a windoze user and am stuck with the same problem that my usb flash drive is not bootable. i was considering partitioning it and installing grub on it but i believe this is destined to fail as different machines are likley to show the flash drive as different devices and so the root=/dev/blah tag will not be correct.
Yes see the syslinux homepage.

NewarkShark

#17 Post by NewarkShark »

I'm trying to install Puppy to a compact flash to booot my internet appliance. From puppy burned to CD when executing the setup for compact flash, I get the error syslinux: possibly unsafe /tmp permissions. I go execute syslinux from a DOS box (Win XP) - no error all smooth; yet I still get a "Operating system not found on any device" from my IA.

Someone that has had success after getting this message, please walk through in great detail, please.......

Help..... This is soooo frustrating.......

PaulR

#18 Post by PaulR »

Newshark this is all I did in the end....

1 Make sure the USB stick is FAT16 formatted. If possible use the manufacturers format utility (if there is one) to ensure it is bootable. The one I used (from HP) is further up this thread but on a previous version of Puppy I managed to get it bootable with the software from the maker - 'Disgo', the software is available from their website.

2 Run the 'Install to USB' script from Puppy - ignore the unsafe permissions message.

3 Do syslinux [your Windows drive letter]: from a command prompt

4 Set BIOS to boot from the correct device - mine is USB HDD but some say only USB Zip will work for them. If this is the case I *think* the stick has to be in a zip compatible format - sorry I can't help with that it's a little beyond my technical understanding!

Probably not much help I'm afraid but it's all I have :(

NewarkShark

#19 Post by NewarkShark »

OK - that helped!! The issue was in the format. I used Ranish's PART.EXE to format and set bootable. Did the Puppy script; got the error; ran SYSLINUX. Now, the CF boots (Yahhhhh - progress!!!!) but it cannot find usr_cram.fs not much functionality with that. Next a whole bunch of "No space left on device" errors as it attempts to write files to /root.

then it starts asking me for a password to login.

X doesnt start.........................

So I went back and tried the same routine only this time (SINCE IT BOOTS) I would choose "U"pdate. it re-wrote all the files (including usr_cram.fs).

boot the CF - same identical thing

I'm getting closer but still something is in the way.....