Puppy and Portable VirtualBox

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jasray

Puppy and Portable VirtualBox

#1 Post by jasray »

For those of you keeping up w/ my posts, I was able to generate a super Qemu PizzaPup with KQemu acceleration based on a different approach than Erik Veenstra's Qemu Puppy. Although I was happy with the outcome, VirtualBox gained my attention when playing around with .iso's--much faster and better integration w/ the host. Finally, a good beta Portable VirtualBox is out that meets the needs of those wanting to go that route.

It may be easier to search "portable virtualbox" to find the correct entries, but the site you will be looking for follows:

www.z0rz.com

At this time, there are only five comments. I think either people gave up, or they may simply not know the possibility is available.

I just made a post for those interested in working with "embedded" systems. Unfortunately, I couldn't get Puppy (or some other Live distros w/ installers) to work. It may be a partition issue on my part, or it could be the grub installer. Not sure.

Anyway, it does work. Have fun!

Oh, this is all posted from Linux running on top/within my Windows system which is, I think, defragging.

Savage Garden on RhythmBox "I Want You." Enough!

cb88

#2 Post by cb88 »

you need to boot puppy in virtualbox then use gparted to create a partition not fdisk or cfdisk neither work in virtualbox for me. you will need to do this for most other distros also since for the most part they only have fdisk or cfdisk during installation.

apparently the virtual disk has almost nothing in it to begin with not even a disklabel.

so to start out puppy won't even mount it or possible even detect it correctly until you create a partition.