Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 25 Jul 2014, 01:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Eye Candy
IceWM Themes Exchange
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 6 of 17 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
prit1

PostPosted: Thu 01 May 2008, 14:13    Post_subject:  

Whodo is right, I am able to access the wbar instructions on the new site even without a login or registration. It should work for anyone.
wolfwatcher51

PostPosted: Thu 01 May 2008, 17:23    Post_subject:  

Hello WhoDo and prit1,

Edited post: updated status

After I installed wbar per the instructions it opened fine and looked good. I went back in to add prit1's code to that in the how to, and rebooted. When loaded, wbar was there with the changes, but hotpup icons were gone. I could neither restart x server or reboot.

Decided to use the standard windoze fix and used the restart button on the box. When it rebooted I had both the wbar and the hotpup icons. Blinky seems to be missing for some reason.

Going for broke I tried editing the .wbar file. I changed the icon,program and text for the browser. Rebooted,changes took and worked.

I have an install icon on the desktop that points to dotpup. I put that in the .wbar file, changed the icon saved and rebooted. No wbar oops! Finally had to delete the entry,save reboot, back in business. Could you please tell me what goes in wbar to execute dotpup/puppy package manager? Thanks.

If I have not worn out my time with you, the last piece is the gdesklets part. Almost there! I cannot get the program to d'load with firefox or ie on the windoze box. Something about my d'load manager making too many connections or something like that. When I tried on the puppy box, using dillo, it could not load the page, maybe some problem with the redirect to the d'load page. Any ideas on how to proceed? You wouldn't happen to have written a how to for gdesklets by chance? Thanks, Chris.
nic2109

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2008, 18:07    Post_subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
I have modified dvw86's original Abby theme to look a bit like the latest Macintosh style.
I love this theme and I'm using it with the Aqua-graphite wallpaper (borrowed from my wife's Mac) and the Stardust icons. See screenshot.

What should I edit to move the task bar to the top?

Lastly; I'm sorry to say that there's a tiny cosmetic error in this theme that will be off-putting to MacOS purists.

The window control buttons on Tiger (i.e. MacOS 10.4) are (from left to right) Close, Minimise and Maximise; and the colours are Red, Amber and Green. To be completely the same as MacOS they should also contain the symbols 'X', '-' and '+' in the buttons. Fix all that and you have a near-perfect look-alike.
Mac Theme.png
 Description   
 Filesize   229.41 KB
 Viewed   2702 Time(s)

Mac Theme.png

WhoDo

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2008, 18:21    Post_subject:  

nic2109 wrote:
What should I edit to move the task bar to the top?

/root/.icewm/preferences and search for taskbar.

nic2109 wrote:
Lastly; I'm sorry to say that there's a tiny cosmetic error in this theme that will be off-putting to MacOS purists.

The window control buttons on Tiger (i.e. MacOS 10.4) are (from left to right) Close, Minimise and Maximise; and the colours are Red, Amber and Green. To be completely the same as MacOS they should also contain the symbols 'X', '-' and '+' in the buttons. Fix all that and you have a near-perfect look-alike.

I'll look into it. Abby-Mac was a "quick-and-dirty" attempt to satisfy a few requests. I never leave these things be, so an updated version will include your suggestions. If you can give me a screenshot of the bar and buttons, I can make it identical. I don't have a Mac of any sort myself.

Cheers

Edited_time_total
nic2109

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2008, 18:48    Post_subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
If you can give me a screenshot of the bar and buttons, I can make it identical. I don't have a Mac of any sort myself.

Cheers
Your wish is my command, oh Great Theme Master.

The screenshots demonstrate a few points about the MacOS GUI :-

The commands in the Task bar change according to which application has focus.

The window control buttons gain or lose their symbols (x, -, and +) according to whether the pointer is over them or not.

The Dock is just the same as the Cairo Dock - but I'm not sure which copied which!

PS. Sorry about the size of the images: I am posting from the Mac and cannot find how to re-size them!
Picture 1.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  Picture 1.png 
Filesize  827.47 KB 
Downloaded  2023 Time(s) 
Picture 2.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  Picture 2.png 
Filesize  247.64 KB 
Downloaded  1767 Time(s) 

Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2008, 22:58    Post_subject:  

Those are some very handsome screenshots Nick! And I should think that what with the excellent clarity of them WhoDo shouldn't have too much problem at all, what with knowing his abilities as I do. Of course the one thing which I was never able to copy over into a Linux theme (outside of the KDE desktop that is) was how Mac's place the menubar into the "taskbar". I was able, however, when making a "Faux-Mac" theme using my shell on 98se to recreate a "pseudo-effect" which looked like the Mac menubar but didn't work of course as the words were printed into a "3rd layer" which would show. Rather complicated to explain unless you worked with the shell programme unfortunately.

Thanks though for those shots. Mac has one of the most beautiful and attractive GUIs around.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

WhoDo

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2008, 06:16    Post_subject:  

nic2109 wrote:
The screenshots demonstrate a few points about the MacOS GUI :-

The commands in the Task bar change according to which application has focus.

I can't do this with an IceWM theme, but it may be possible using HairyWill's launch panel in JWM.

nic2109 wrote:
The window control buttons gain or lose their symbols (x, -, and +) according to whether the pointer is over them or not.

No problem here.

nic2109 wrote:
The Dock is just the same as the Cairo Dock - but I'm not sure which copied which!

Some of the guys have managed to make a Cairo dock lookalike out of Wbar - easier to install and uses less resources. I'm pretty sure there's a Gtk-2 theme that will reproduce the other effects within the windows, too.

nic2109 wrote:
PS. Sorry about the size of the images: I am posting from the Mac and cannot find how to re-size them!

Actually that worked out ok because I've saved the images to my machine and I can blow them up for better detail.

I won't be able to do it this weekend. I'm flying to Melbourne for my daughter's birthday and won't be back until Monday night. Give me a little while and I'll come back with an update that will incorporate most of what you want.

Cheers

HairyWill

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2008, 07:41    Post_subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
I can't do this with an IceWM theme, but it may be possible using HairyWill's launch panel in JWM.
nope sorry.
The contents of a jwm tray are fixed once jwm starts. You could bind buttons to dynamic launchers whose contents could be changed. You cannot change an icon in a jwm tray without restarting jwm

Joshas

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2008, 08:51    Post_subject:  

There is a patch for GTK to display menu items in taskbar (Gnome and XFCE). More info here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=241868 . One could make a plugin for LXPanel to display menu items, but it would be a lot of work, and I'm not sure if it is worth it.
6tr6tr

PostPosted: Wed 21 May 2008, 20:22    Post_subject:  

Botanic wrote:
IceKDE-1.7
*** UPDATED - don't mind following posts related to this theme

So, here's the theme i created, designed to look like KDE 3.5 - at least that's what the taskbar, clock, start button, Rox icons, taskbar icons, window decorations and other minor items are here for.

Notes:
* the menu skeleton as shown in the screenshot is in ~/.icewm/menu_icekde, you can edit it to add your apps and rename it as "menu" to use it.
* this theme uses the DejaVuSans font. Be sure it's installed on your system
* the icon theme that goes with the theme (594 kb) is in /root/.icons/IceKDEicons

Thanks for the cool theme. I just have two questions since installing it:

1. Now when I open the menu, mousing over a "folder" does not open it. I have to click to open it (i.e. to open what's under the arrow). How do i ge that functionality back?

2. Under themes it's now collapsed the similarly named themes (which is fine) but put them under cryptic names. For example Quanx and Quanx-who are under "Q..." instead of "Quanx...".
6tr6tr

PostPosted: Wed 21 May 2008, 21:50    Post_subject:  

OK, figured it out as well as a few other changes:

1. Open /root/.icewm/prefoverride
2. Add line:
MenuMouseTracking=1
3. Save
4. Restart IceWm (under StartMenu->Windows)

And then you can also add these lines to allow shutdown via the menu (Why wasn't it in there to begin with?)

ShutdownCommand="wmpoweroff"
RebootCommand="wmreboot"
ShowLogoutMenu=1
jeljr

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2008, 00:03    Post_subject:  

I've been following this with interest as I am a Mac user, actually I'm on Puppy 90% of the time now, my wife has the G5 IMac. I like MacPup, especially the wbar and the window buttons being on the left side, wish it used 3.01 though. I am also using NOP and the window features are great, the equivalent of OsX and Expose' where putting the cursor off screen in the upper right shows all open windows was one of the great extras with Tiger. Yes I dream of combining the two for a nearly complete Os X experience. I've noticed nobody has mentioned the scroll bar for paging up and down within a window has both direction arrows at the bottom of the scroll bar in OS X. It took some getting used to, but now I really like it. Don't know how complicated that would be to create. I've fiddled with ways to hide the wbar to simulate a true dock without any real success. Keep up the great work.
Joel
6tr6tr

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2008, 09:28    Post_subject:  

Some issues with IceKDE installed (anyone know how to fix?):

1. Clock is no longer clickable
2. When I set Network status to show in taskbar, it's invisible (but it is there and clickable, but the processes/cpu-load runs over the clickable space visually)
3. Seamonkey's icon space is still on the task bar but invisible (still clickable)

Also, does anyone know how to uninstall ice-kde? It's different than just a theme. It made some other major changes that, even when I choose other themes, it's still controlling/forcing certain things.
nic2109

PostPosted: Sat 24 May 2008, 08:07    Post_subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
Give me a little while and I'll come back with an update that will incorporate most of what you want.

Cheers

@WhoDo : how are you getting on? We're hungry!

WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 24 May 2008, 20:17    Post_subject:  

nic2109 wrote:
@WhoDo : how are you getting on? We're hungry!

Patience my little ones. All will be ready in due time. Razz

This is as far as I've gone. I used a real Leopard screenshot for guidance, in conjunction with the two images you supplied. The titlebar buttons are active and show the x, + and - when you hover the mouse over them.

I also used Geko's-Leopard Gtk-2 theme to get a more realistic feel, but I'm sure you'll find something even closer to the look you are seeking.

You'll have to modify Wbar or Cairo-dock to suit yourself. I wasn't prepared to get my system looking too Mac-like in case the wind changed and it stayed that way! Razz

I have given you two choices of the menu button in /root/.icewm/themes/Abby-Leopard/taskbar directory.

Hope this is what you were looking for. I'm sure you can make some nice Crystal icons with reflections to make the Wbar effect even more Mac-like.

Cheers
Abby-Leopard.pet
Description  Leopardish theme for IceWM
pet

Download 
Filename  Abby-Leopard.pet 
Filesize  532.69 KB 
Downloaded  1474 Time(s) 

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 6 of 17 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Eye Candy
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum