All my settings got included in my remastered CD

Using applications, configuring, problems
hushpuppy

All my settings got included in my remastered CD

#1 Post by hushpuppy »

I'm trying to remaster version 2.16.

After a successful remaster and subsequent reboot with puppy pfix=ram the new cd boots straight into X, this is not what i want, i want the same as with the original CD, eg pick keyboard, then xorgwizard runs.

My email settings (and probably other stuff too) also get copied over.

Am i using the enhanced remaster script incorrectly, is it faulty, or am i making a stupid mistake ?.

raffy

don't save hardware settings

#2 Post by raffy »

There is a question that asks whether you want to save your current hardware settings. You must have responded "yes" to that.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

dino9832

#3 Post by dino9832 »

I think the content of

Code: Select all

/etc/.XLOADED
needs to be "true" because X automatically loads if the content is "false".

raffy

console only

#4 Post by raffy »

If /etc/.XLOADED is true, then puppy drops to console at boot, advising the user to fix the display (as an error is suspected). An example situation is immediately after a power outage. The user can command xwin to restore the desktop.

For remastering, the correct value is false, or /etc/.XLOADED should be deleted. But this is already handled automatically by the remaster script.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

hushpuppy

#5 Post by hushpuppy »

There is a question that asks whether you want to save your current hardware settings. You must have responded "yes" to that.
I didnt, i definitley answered NO.

Thats what is so puzzling.

gray

Remastering

#6 Post by gray »

You probably used the simple remaster option. That copies the /root and /etc folder AS IS, including some configuration files in /etc such as the file /etc/countryinfo which if present stops the pick keyboard option at bootup I think. The smart remaster option uses pristine copies of /etc & /root and is generally the better option.

hushpuppy

#7 Post by hushpuppy »

Without doubt I used the smart option, ive tried 4 times and still got the same result each and every time.

I've even done a pfix=purge in case there was a problem with squashfs, same result.

I dont have a lot of space left in the pup_save file maybe that could affect things, i did delete some directories (for the source i needed) then free space leapt up to about 650MB, but next time i came to the machine it had gone down to 20MB.

I noticed that /mnt/home had the directory i deleted in it, is this normal (it doesnt show up under /).