Drivers for Epson Stylus Photo R360

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Scoticus

#1 Post by Scoticus »

When I checked the list of printers and drivers I found that the R360 was not on the list.

There was a reference in another post to Turboprint and they have a driver but I am unsure what to do. Would it be possible for someone to guide me through the required moves
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

ian,

i hope this isn't a new printer, as puppy-print rule number 1 is buy a printer that is on the list. checking linuxprinting.org, they list this printer as a paperweight! but they do provide alink to a driver that is supposed to work. so your options are:

1) try the advice in this thread:

http://forums.freestandards.org/read.php?26,594

2) download the free turboprint version. you'll probably get the turboprint watermark on every page, so you might consider buying a license. to install turboprint just follow the online manual. (maybe print out a hardcopy Image )
there's a commandline program you run as ./setup

3) buy a linux-friendly printer.

have a go at either 1 & 2 and see how you go.

Scoticus

#3 Post by Scoticus »

Muggins

How did you guess that I bought a new printer. I had looked in Linuxprinting at the listings for Epson and saw that both the R265 and R360 were mentioned and that the 265 was favourite. Went to Amazon and checked for availibility and found the R360 immed avail so bought it.

I had not seen the forum entries for the 360 or I would have run a mile (figuratively as at my age my days for that are well over). There are a number of references to using Cups in the posts and the one that seemed to work was based on this. Do we have Cups built in to Puppy or how can I obtain it.

Further searching in Amazon found the reason why I did not find the R265 as it was below the £50 mark. I knew both were listed above £50 with Epson and fell for the trap when checking availability. If the worst comes to the worst I will write off the 360 and go for the 265.

I notice that the setup list does not cover either printer but wonder as when Linuxprinting say that HP and Epson are the best bets why these are nor currently listed. How does one get them listed in Puppy.

Your assistance would be most appreciated.
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

it is funny that linuxprinting lists the epson r300 as a good printer, but when you check the specific entry for the r300 it is given the 2nd lowest rating of working "partially". (compared to the r360's abysmal "paperweight" rating).

i would recommend you try the turboprint free version, as that is probably the easiest to get started. if it puts the turboprint logo on every page then, rather than forking out for another printer, why not buy a license off them as it covers heaps of other printers & your license will still be valid after your current printer has died.