Lexmark E323

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Paul-B

Lexmark E323

#1 Post by Paul-B »

Greetings again all...

I've decided to give up with trying to get the 5L to work in Puppy, I think I've found the problem, it's a pap printer. Apparently the fit it throws is because it can't fit all the page I'm trying to print in it's MASSIVE 1mb onboard memory.

The long & short of it is if I wanted to upgrade the memory to a HUGE 4mb, it'd nearly cost me as much as a new (second hand) laser.

SO!

I was looking into the Lexmark E323, seems to fit the bill of what I need it for perfectly, and it's in sexy black, which matches the rest of my kit (very important that!).

Lexmark seem to have come a fair way since the last time I tried to install one of their printers on a Linux system, there are many Linux drivers for the E323 on their site, http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/d ... :0:366:0:0 The down side is none of them are .bin (universal installer, I believe?) format, and I can't seem to find any CUPS drivers for it.

Well, that's a little bit of a lie.

I downloaded PrintPro which apparently has E323 CUPS drivers in it, but has no dedicated Puppy version (not really surprising I guess, seeing as it is no longer in development), instead, I have RPM and DEB formats of the program.

Can anyone help me fishing the E323 CUPS driver out of these archives, AND, if a successful fishing takes place, will said drivers work in Puppy? I'm guessing CUPS is (as the name would suggest!), universal, and it doesn't matter what distro it is running on, the drivers would be the same?

Thanks all once again for taking the time to read my babbling.

Paul-B
[color=red]Puppy Rig:[/color] 2ghz Pentium 4 Skt423 CPU - Intel D850GB Motherboard - 1gb (4x256MB) Samsung PC800 RAM - WinFast GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB GPU - Creative SB Live! Soundcard - Samsung 730MW 17" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 350w Antec SmartPower PSU

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

paul,

my guesstimation of puppy printer rules:

1) it's on list of supported printers for printer wizard of whatever puppy version you're using &/or there's a post in the forum about somebody getting it to work with puppy &/or it's listed in the PrintersWorking wikka entry: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PrintersWorking

2) it's listed on the linuxprinting.org site as working perfectly, or mostly, with linux.

3) easily ported drivers are available. (the link you provided gives an .rpm download 0f 25M!)

4) price of the consumables & how long they last.

5) price of the printer.

6) aesthetics.

i hope you can get this working.