Still unable to remaster Puppy Correctly - (tried 10 times)

Using applications, configuring, problems
hushpuppy

Still unable to remaster Puppy Correctly - (tried 10 times)

#1 Post by hushpuppy »

As the Subject states, depsite many wasted CD's i'm still unable to get a successful remaster, lots of my personal files are getting carried over into the remaster.

I've even tried deleting ALL the files from /tmp/etc and copying the /etc directory from an original CD (mounted the 216 squashfs file ) and STILL my xorg.conf is in the new iso.

I definitley HAVE picked the smart way to do it, and always choose NOT to use my personal settings.

Even so, things like my xorg.conf and even my browsing history, email settings etc are ALL carried over into the iso, and many other things.

Is there a howto or examples on how to do this by hand without using the remaster script ?.

Thanks for any help you can offer, this is driving me nuts, Ive wasted 2 days on this problem.

Dougal

#2 Post by Dougal »

Never waste a lot of time on something that doesn't work properly!
I'll have a look and post an updated version of the script.
I still think it's best to sacrifice 300MB for a directory and do it manually!
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

kkpity

#3 Post by kkpity »

I also had tried a remaster in a CDRW twice with no success.

The initialization stucks at "copying pup216.sfs to tmpfs..."

I'm using puppy 2.16 from a CD and have my data on a pendrive.

Maybe a manual step will be great to check each specific point of the whole process.

Thanks

kkpity
Linux user #388359 (http://counter.li.org/)

hushpuppy

#4 Post by hushpuppy »

Never waste a lot of time on something that doesn't work properly!
Right, ill chuck my daughter out tomorrow. :).

I'll have a look and post an updated version of the script.
Thanks, much appreciated, i do however wonder if it's not your script at fault, maybe the squashfs on /tmp ?. I've had problems in the past with squashfs (devx.sfs not loading correctly), maybe this is a similar problem. I did try a pfix=purge just in case, but still no luck.

I did wonder also if it would be possible to pick where the temp files are copied to, instead of /tmp maybe mount a hdd ?.

I still think it's best to sacrifice 300MB for a directory and do it manually!
Thats what i intend to do, do you have a list of commands or an example ?, would be a great help. I've searched the forums but cannot find anything specific to my problem.

Also instead of remastering for maybe just one conf file , is it an easy task to mount the pup sfs, make a change/addition, and then save the changes. From what i've read up on the subject, sfs is read only, so i imagine i'd have to copy the whole contents to a temp dir, change this, then recreate the sfs, is that correct ?.

PS :- Thanks for all your help. I will get watchdog (puppy and zoneminder) released. (Still waiting for more creative name).

Dougal

#5 Post by Dougal »

hushpuppy wrote:Thats what i intend to do, do you have a list of commands or an example ?, would be a great help. I've searched the forums but cannot find anything specific to my problem.
I listed what needs to be done in the other thread, a few days ago.
I just looked through the remaster script and founf the appropriate lines -- it's very simple when you look at it.

Here's an updated remaster script, just in case.
The changes are quite trivial -- just some config files here and there.
I can't see why selecting "smart" and then "no" to keeping your settings shouldn't work ok.

There is one thing that occured to me, though: Puppy doesn't use /opt by default, so if anything is installed there it will be added to the sfs in its entirety.
Attachments
pupremaster.sh.gz
(9.65 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

hushpuppy

#6 Post by hushpuppy »

I listed what needs to be done in the other thread, a few days ago.
Ah, so i see now, somehow i missed that.
I just looked through the remaster script and founf the appropriate lines -- it's very simple when you look at it.
I had a (brief) look through the script myself, and was just going to pick out the relevant bits, but wondered if you had a different way of doing it manually.
Here's an updated remaster script, just in case.
Thanks a lot, youre a star.
I can't see why selecting "smart" and then "no" to keeping your settings shouldn't work ok.
Me either, it's bizzarre, and doesnt seem consistent either, as an example, in most cases the mysql config file (my.cnf) DOES get copied to the remaster, yet in one case it didnt, and in both cases i used the script in exactly the same way.
There is one thing that occured to me, though: Puppy doesn't use /opt by default, so if anything is installed there it will be added to the sfs in its entirety.
Sorry, but nothing i've installed uses /opt. :), mysql is under /usr/local/mysql for example.

What i think ill do initially is modify the script to use a mounted hard disk partition instead of /tmp, and to leave the files (eg /tmp/root) intact, so i can browse them later if need be.

I'm pretty sure the problem is not in your script, but is either down to me, or my system.

I did notice though that the mozilla settings are in /root/mozilla , does your script use this directory from the CD, or the one from the pup_save ?, it looks like in my case the one from the pup_save is being copied, the same goes for /etc/X11/xorg,conf.

In every CD i've remastered i have never been asked to pick the keyboard type when booting it (puppy pfix=rasm) , it always uses what i have at the moment, UK.

[/quote]

Dougal

#7 Post by Dougal »

hushpuppy wrote:I did notice though that the mozilla settings are in /root/mozilla , does your script use this directory from the CD, or the one from the pup_save ?, it looks like in my case the one from the pup_save is being copied, the same goes for /etc/X11/xorg,conf.
The script will delete the Mozilla cache files from /root/.mozilla if you choose to use the full /root (="simple" remaster) and will not include them is you select "smart".
The problem with xorg.conf used to be that you still had your "profile" copy (xorg.conf.BLA_BLA), but this new version removes those, too.
In every CD i've remastered i have never been asked to pick the keyboard type when booting it (puppy pfix=rasm) , it always uses what i have at the moment, UK.
That might be related to using a new version of Puppy, in which Barry has his new country selection code -- I don't know where the choices are kept.
But using the "smart" method should solve that.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

hushpuppy

#8 Post by hushpuppy »

That might be related to using a new version of Puppy, in which Barry has his new country selection code -- I don't know where the choices are kept.
But using the "smart" method should solve that.
I'm using puppy 2.16, i think thats before the new country selection bit.

I want to fix this as much as create zm, as its now really bugging me.