Remove Turma

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
PaulR

Remove Turma

#1 Post by PaulR »

Suggestion: remove this text finding app - the exit dialog and crudely worded buttons look so amateurish and are irritating once you've seen them once (or maybe it could be recompiled to remove the offending bits?).

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I use Turma often, but yeah, the exit dialog is annoying after awhile.
It could be edited out of the source...

keenerd

#3 Post by keenerd »

I've been meaning to gripe a similar gripe. I can't even figure to how to use Turma. ReXgrep is much more usable - it did exactly what I wanted the first time I tried it. Still never got Turma to work at all. It looks like reXgrep has more features than Turma as well. Why is Turma included?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Turma was there before reXgrep came along, and I just kept using Turma, by habit I suppose.

#5 Post by Guest »

Removing the annoying reudeness would help, but I'd have to agree that the app seems less intuitive than reXgrep & I'd go with the "less is more" approach...

F

puppian

#6 Post by puppian »

Turma is good.
It has the 'replace' function that reXgrep doesn't have, and it's only 48k.
Remove the exit dialog and all is fine.
Please don't remove it :)
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

PaulR

#7 Post by PaulR »

:oops: ...must admit I didn't give much thought to a replacement. It seems pretty popular with you guys so maybe it just needs hacking - I'd do it myself but I don't have a working Vector install anymore.

keenerd

#8 Post by keenerd »

The "It's only 48K" argument is a little hollow. ReXgrep is half the size, at 23K. It also should have more than the exit dialog changed, but that's a matter of taste.

It probably should stay. If Barry finds it useful, then that is reason enough.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

PaulR wrote::oops: ...must admit I didn't give much thought to a replacement. It seems pretty popular with you guys so maybe it just needs hacking - I'd do it myself but I don't have a working Vector install anymore.
No excuse! :wink:
Puppy 1.0.5alpha2 and usr_devx.sfs is all you need to compile!

PaulR

#10 Post by PaulR »

BarryK wrote:
PaulR wrote::oops: ...must admit I didn't give much thought to a replacement. It seems pretty popular with you guys so maybe it just needs hacking - I'd do it myself but I don't have a working Vector install anymore.
No excuse! :wink:
Puppy 1.0.5alpha2 and usr_devx.sfs is all you need to compile!
Actually I don't even have a working Puppy just now -

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2063

I can't (rather won't!) carry a Live CD around so I need to fix that first.