TabletPC Digitizer Pen - how to make it work with Puppy?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
lickthefrog2

#16 Post by lickthefrog2 »

One week later, status update:

I saw that Muppy007 came out, so I'm starting from scratch.

This leads me to a few intermediary steps before linuxwacom, so I'm running a bit behind.

By the way, for copying over firefox addons and profiles, I recommend FEBE

Now that I figured it out, I am that much lighter.

Note: I also tested QEMU-Puppy in order to just try to recompile the linuxwacom driver. Want to explore that more...but went for Muppy007.

Back soon...

lickthefrog2

lickthefrog2

#17 Post by lickthefrog2 »

I'm trying to get to this. I want to figure out the xorg-sdk thing again. I sort of remember how I got it the first time and suppose I could just copy it (/usr/X11R6/lib/Server) over from my working system to my new one. I will try that soon.

I would like to offer the file. I tried before but couldn't upload it to the forum. I will again next week (I'm on Windows this weekend). :cry:

In the meantime, I found this website: http://www.missirina.com/risujin/debian.php

I can't vouch for it, but I'm pretty sure the writer has more experience in Linux than I have. He/She offers a different way around the Xorg-sdk error.

Tablet Digitizer (Xorg7) top

If you do not care about rotation you can simply install the xserver-xorg-input-wacom package and it will enable your digitizer. If you do want rotation however, do not install this package.

To get your tablet digitizer working with Xorg7 you must download the LinuxWacom driver source (version 0.7.4 at the time of this writing). Tablet rotation support is planned for a future release but is only available as a patch for now. The patch you want to use can be downloaded from the Xournal homepage. Look for a link near the bottom of the page and get the patch file rather than the binaries.

The latest versions of the LinuxWacom drivers no longer have problems with the Debian paths and will compile just fine on their own. The procedure works as follows:

* Copy linuxwacom-0.7.2-rotate-patch into the src directory.
* Run patch -p1 <linuxlinuxwacom-0.7.2-rotate-patch to apply the patch.
* Now run ./configure, make, and make install. Make sure each of these returns no errors. If you are upgrading from X11R6 you may need to upgrade your X11 dev library packages to the latest versions.

That's it! The drivers should now be installed and the tablet will work when you start X11. You can test to see if the driver is working properly by running wacdump -f c100 /dev/ttyS0.

Tablet Digitizer (X11R6) top

This section is for X11R6 only!

It is not difficult to get the Wacom drivers working, however some work is needed to tweak them to support screen rotation. First of all we need to download the Linux Wacom drivers (version 0.7.2). These drivers do not support on-the-fly rotation and must be patched. The original location of the patch is down so I have uploaded a local copy. Download the patch and apply it to the drivers.

We can't compile the drivers just yet. Run ./configure and notice that it is missing various libraries (if it is not, you're set and can skip this part). The Debian paths for various libraries are different from other distributions so we need to make some changes.

* First we need to make a fake X-Org SDK folder. Create the folder Xorg-SDK in your driver directory. Inside this folder, create a link to the Debian X-Org headers:
ln -s include /usr/include/xorg/
* Run ./configure --with-xorg-sdk=Xorg-SDK from the driver directory. The X-Org SDK errors should now be gone. There will still be errors about X11 headers.
* Now open src/Makefile in the driver directory and find this line:

DRIVER_INCLUDES = -I${XORGSDK_DIR)/include

For X-Org 6 change this line to read:

DRIVER_INCLUDES = -I${XORGSDK_DIR)/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/X11

The drivers should now configure, compile, and install just fine. To enable the Wacom device, open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add the following to the ServerLayout section:

Section "ServerLayout"
InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

For the Portege, the tablet screen is just a regular Wacom tablet connected over through a serial port. We can enable it just like a serial Wacom tablet by adding the following sections:

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "cursor"
Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
Option "Type" "cursor"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "stylus"
Option "Type" "stylus"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "eraser"
Option "Type" "eraser"
EndSection

Test if the driver is working properly by running wacdump -f c100 /dev/ttyS0.

Screen Rotation top

The following section should be added to the nVidia driver section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf in order to enable screen rotation:

Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA ..."
Driver "nvidia"
Option "RandRRotation"
EndSection

If you have properly performed the Wacom and nVidia driver installations you should now be capable of rotating the screen via the xrandr tool and also of rotating the wacom tablet coordinates via the xsetwacom tool.

I have compiled a rotate script for each Wacom patch that will do the work for you. If you're using the Xorg7 patch from Xournal use the Xorg7 rotate script. If you followed the old X11R6 instructions use the X11R6 rotate script. To use this script run it with one of the orientation names as an argument (normal, left, right, inverted) like this: ./rotate-xorg7.sh left.

The xrandr command will rotate the display via the nVidia driver and xsetwacom will rotate the tablet pointer orientation. Both commands are necessary although apparently only rotating the stylus is sufficient.
[/quote]

lickthefrog2

#18 Post by lickthefrog2 »

I gave a few hours up to this project and didn't get far.

I'm stuck compiling it because of a lib/cpp error, which I don't recall getting the first time I did it.

I read in these forums that the way around that is to create a new pupsave file, and that's when I crashed for the night.

Will try again soon. I'm spread too thin.

- lickthefrog2

John Doe

#19 Post by John Doe »

lickthefrog2 wrote:Will try again soon. I'm spread too thin.
I can relate to that. Thanks for the updates, this is interesting to follow.

Just so you know (In case you don't) you can make an alien package once you get the drivers compiled like this:

mkdir /linuxwacom-0.7.4
make install DESTDIR=/linuxwacom-0.7.4
cd /
tar -zcf linuxwacom-0.7.4.tar.gz linuxwacom-0.7.4

Then you will have a file named linuxwacom-0.7.4.tar.gz at / which is your new driver alien package.

Sym links would need to be copied over to /linuxwacom-0.7.4 from their relative position in the / structure, prior to compression. They will appear broken but will be ok because their position will be different when one installs the alien package.

Config changes would be your only addition then.

If you still have trouble compiling, let us know exactly where you are downloading the source from and any patches you are using.

I wish I had a tabletpc so I could help ;-)

Braden

#20 Post by Braden »

I bought a display model M200 just after Christmas to use as a laptop at school. It would be a big win for me to be able to work on my mostly C++ programming and UML assignments on a real Linux, rather than using Cygwin.

I'm eventually going to want to get the tablet working, though I imagine I'll continue using OneNote (shock, horror, thunder!) for classes, because I've grown pretty attached to it, plus I've got a good chunk of the term in there now.

I've got several questions, having not tried to do Puppy coexisting with Windows before.

First, I'm a little stuck as to the best way to get Puppy going on a laptop with no CD drive. I've got a desktop I can network the CD from if necessary. No USB CD or floppy drive, but I've got a 512MB USB key and a 1GB SD card if necessary. (I've read that you can boot

Second, I've tried to find on the forums details of Puppy/Linux in general's current state with NTFS. My understanding is that Puppy can write and read from NTFS, but anything it writes can't be understood by Windows, just Linux?
Is it worth trying to partition the drive, or should I just tuck my pup_save into a corner of the drive and install in Coexist mode?

Third, what's the most convenient way to get a dual-boot going? Is GRUB-for-DOS the way to go? Linux GRUB? Can Puppy do it out of the box or will some wizardry be involved? I definitely don't want to do any harm to my Windows install with any of this, I need the laptop for school.

Finally, I'll be grab to offer myself as another guinea pig for getting the tablet working. It doesn't seem like a DotPup we can publish as a one-stop Wacom Tablet (with rotation?) solutin is beyond reach, once we get the steps written down.

I'm mostly asking rather than answering right now, but hopefully I can bring a decently experienced Linux user (though I have much to learn), and a programmer to this little project.

Braden

#21 Post by Braden »

Okay, I answered most of my questions myself:

First, I did it by just opening the ISO and dumping the files to C:\ from Windows.

Second, NTFS is pending, doing the "strongly recommended" defrag first, don't want to corrupt anything.

Third, I used GRUB-for-DOS with the help of the Lin'N'WinNewB project (fantastic resource, btw. Completely up-to-date and explicit about what to do on XP or 98, no guesswork or hoping it hasn't changed in the three years since the doc was written).

Finally, I'm still a guinea pig for the tablet stuff, and I'll be seeing what happens with that tomorrow.

lickthefrog2

#22 Post by lickthefrog2 »

For those of you following along, I made a small step...

I got over the lib/cpp error according to Dougal's advice in this post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... hlight=cpp

Note, this probably has nothing to do with linux-wacom, just in case someone else has the compiling error I received.

I'm happy, but can't go further just yet. Time is too precious.

Thanks for the votes of confidence and John Doe, thanks for the info about alien packages. Too much for me now, but I'll try and figure it out eventually.

-lickthefrog2

HitRSS

#23 Post by HitRSS »

Oh yes, we are following definitely.

I will try to replicate your steps this weekend and will post my findings on this thread. Keep up the great work, lickthefrog2!

Thanks!
[url=http://www.hitrss.com]HitRSS[/url] - publish and host your RSS and Blog for free

lickthefrog2

#24 Post by lickthefrog2 »

I just got Puppy to recognize my wacom digitizer. It was surprisingly easy. Many of the steps that I previously went through were not necessary, I think.

It turns out that in the linuxwacom package, there is a directory for "prebuilt" drivers and such.

Using the preconfigured driver means no compiling, I think. No need for devx___.sfs, no need to run the ./configure script that comes with linuxwacom, no need to locate the xorg-SDK.

In my case the preconfigured driver is in the 32 directory because my computer is 32-bit. Because my version of Puppy uses X11R7, all I had to do is copy the preconfigured driver, wacom_drv.so into the following directory: /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input

Then in a command prompt I typed "modprobe wacom" (this becomes autoloaded when xorg.conf is altered). Before altering xorg.conf, make a backup. It's in the directory /etc/X11.
Next, xorg.conf needs to be altered depending on your setup.

Code: Select all

Section "Module"
     Load "wacom"

To enable the Wacom device, open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add the following to the ServerLayout section:

Section "ServerLayout"
[keep whatever is currently there and add]
InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection
The following is for TabletPCs because the device is serial.

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "cursor"
Option "Type" "cursor"
Option "Button2" "3"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "stylus"
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "Button2" "3"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "eraser"
Option "Type" "eraser"
Option "Button2" "3"
EndSection 
Close xorg.conf and save it. Then you should restart X (ctrl-alt-backspace) and at the prompt type: xwin (or: startx). I don't know if you have to fully reboot or not.

That should be about it. Post your results. By the way, much of this should work for USB tablets, but some key settings are configured differently. Consult the linuxwacom site.

If someone wants to give it a try, please correct my instructions or let me know where my advice is lacking. THANKS ALREADY!

I STRONGLY recommend backing things up before messing around with xorg.conf.

Good luck,

-lickthefrog2
Last edited by lickthefrog2 on Wed 28 Feb 2007, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

Braden

#25 Post by Braden »

That worked gloriously easily for me.

Something to add to your instructions:
- Mention that after saving the xorg.conf changes, one should restart the X server. It just wasn't clear that all the setup was done and it was time to do that.

Also, I got right-clicking to work with a little Googling and an intuitive guess based on a SaX2 tutorial: there's a "Button2" option, and setting it to "3" yields right-click behaviour from the pen button.

So the way to actually make it work is to insert the line

Option "Button2" "3"
at the bottom of each of those three [tt]InputDevice[/tt] sections from above.

Also, I typed "/dev/ttySO" with a letter O, and that doesn't work, it's a zero.

lickthefrog2

#26 Post by lickthefrog2 »

Thanks for the button tip, Braden.

I found that one out and meant to post it, but I'm still swamped with grading papers, the reason why I use my tablet pc.

At first I tried Jarnal, which is pretty cool, but then I figured out how to compile xournal and that's the one I'm really enjoying. It doesn't allow for typing at all, so that's one drawback. Really good with pdf annotation. Stylus eraser works in xournal!

I was trying to figure out how to rotate the screen to portrait mode, but I'm not really dissatisfied using my tablet in landscape only. That's the way I used it with windows.

One thing still bugs me, and that's that I haven't gotten it to suspend well. The computer makes for a better notepad when it preserves the session. That's next on my list.

- lickthefrog2
Last edited by lickthefrog2 on Wed 28 Feb 2007, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

Braden

#27 Post by Braden »

I'm going to be looking into Xournal and screen rotation as well. It seems there's issues with screen rotation in X being divorced from rotation the tablet coordinates. Rotating one doesn't imply rotating the other.

Is there a way to import MS OneNote notes into any program for Linux?

lickthefrog2

#28 Post by lickthefrog2 »

It looks like I'm going to be using both jarnal and xournal because xournal has NO text at all.

Usually I handwrite over a student essay and then type my comments at the end.

That used to be GoBinder's job because it did ink and text.

xournal is less confusing and more limited, but I like it just a bit more than jarnal.

jarnal has some handwriting recognition. But handwriting recognition, which worked passably in Windows, isn't really worth it to me. That's just me. I'd rather type.

I have Xvkbd from a dotpup, which is useful when I'm in tablet mode.

There are other things like messagease and shark.

I played a bit with these on windows but typing is so much faster to me...

mdd

How about a dotpup?

#29 Post by mdd »

Does anybody intend to do a tablet PC dotpup? I've got a Fujitsu Lifebook P1510, running Puppy 2.14, and would love to get the touchscreen working.

--MDD

lickthefrog2

#30 Post by lickthefrog2 »

hi mdd,

i don't know if anybody will try to make a dotpup, but that would be months away for me to try. i have a couple of work projects ahead that take precedence.

i have seen how to create a dotpup around, but not having done it yet, i fear it might take my slow self some time to figure out.

that said, it wasn't too hard to set it up. no compiling or anything, just copying some files and editing xorg.conf.

post if you try and get stuck.

- lickthefrog

mdd

Re: How about a dotpup?

#31 Post by mdd »

mdd wrote:Does anybody intend to do a tablet PC dotpup? I've got a Fujitsu Lifebook P1510, running Puppy 2.14, and would love to get the touchscreen working.
I just realized that my Lifebook is a touchscreen, not a wacom. Any clues on how to proceed for a touchscreen?

--MDD

mdd

Re: How about a dotpup?

#32 Post by mdd »

mdd wrote:
mdd wrote:Does anybody intend to do a tablet PC dotpup? I've got a Fujitsu Lifebook P1510, running Puppy 2.14, and would love to get the touchscreen working.
I just realized that my Lifebook is a touchscreen, not a wacom. Any clues on how to proceed for a touchscreen?
Never mind. I've solved it, and it was ridiculously easy. Just go to the following link, and follow the directions:

http://stz-softwaretechnik.com/~ke/touc ... eries.html

My touchscreen is now working like a dream!

--MDD

boklanio

#33 Post by boklanio »

Hello all,

I installed Puppy 2.17 yesterday (It is actually my first Linux experience) on my Fujitsu Lifebook p1032 and I can't get the touchpanel working with it. I tried both variants (the easy one of yours and the difficult one with perl) but had no success so far.

Concerning the 1st one, I added all the parameters listed in the instruction at http://stz-softwaretechnik.com/~ke/touc ... eries.html and completed all the instructions except the last one. It's posted that it works only in Debian, so I wonder how to run it on Puppy if it's necessary...

Concerning the second one (perl method) I kept getting messages that X11GUITest module is missing in @INC so the script aborted after line 4 :(

I'm a complete newbie in Linux, so I apologize if I told something stupid :lol: In any case, can anyone please help me with diagnosing and solving it? Thank you in advance ;)

mogen317

#34 Post by mogen317 »

Hey just giving this thread a bump because these instructions posted by lickthefrog2 worked for my fujitsu stylistic 4110 tablet computer.

I think somebody should add these instructions to one of the wiki's ive seen for pupppy linux

wilsonkins

Making screen rotation work on Tablet PC's

#35 Post by wilsonkins »

Below are the scripts that I use to rotate the screen on my Toshiba Portege 400. The pen does not follow currently, but I think that is just because I do not have xsetwacom setup correctly.

Laptopmode
!/bin/sh

# Laptop Mode Script laptopmode.sh
# Made for the Toshiba Sattelite R15-S822
# Running Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10
#
# Last Updated: 11-18-2006
# Maintained by Justin "Linuturk" Phelps
# linuturk@gmail.com
#
# Move this script to /usr/local/bin
# Run 'sudo chmod +x laptop.sh'
# Reverses the effects of tabletpcmode.sh

xrandr -o normal && xsetwacom set stylus Rotate none
for dev in `xsetwacom list dev | sed -r {s/ +[a-z]*//}`; do
xsetwacom set $dev Rotate NONE
xsetwacom set $dev TopX 0
xsetwacom set $dev TopY 000
xsetwacom set $dev BottomX 24500
xsetwacom set $dev BottomY 18500
done
killall gok

Tabletmode
#!/bin/sh

# Tablet PC Mode Script tabletpcmode.sh
#
# linuturk@gmail.com
#
# Run 'sudo chmod +x tabletpcmode.sh'
# Be sure laptopmode.sh is installed as well

xrandr -o right && xsetwacom set stylus Rotate CW
xsetwacom set $dev Rotate CW
xsetwacom set $dev TopX 0
xsetwacom set $dev TopY 0
xsetwacom set $dev BottomX 18500
xsetwacom set $dev BottomY 24500
done
#gok

Reversemode
#!/bin/bash

# Laptop Mode Script laptopmode.sh
#
# linuturk@gmail.com
#
# Run 'sudo chmod +x laptop.sh'
# Reverses the effects of tabletpcmode.sh

xrandr -o inverted && xsetwacom set stylus Rotate half
xsetwacom set $dev Rotate HALF
xsetwacom set $dev TopX 000
xsetwacom set $dev TopY 000
xsetwacom set $dev BottomX 24500
xsetwacom set $dev BottomY 18500
done
killall gok

Hope the above helps. Willl let you know if I get the pen to follow.

CanisiusCanine