Problems with GRUB Bootloader

Booting, installing, newbie
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

Keep in mind that Puppy is designed to run from the live CD. Installing it to a hard drive is a bit of a perversion. Perhaps that explains why Barry hasn't developed the GRUB installation as thoroughly as it could be.

One trick is to install one of the other distros, (Mandrake for instance has an excellent installation program) which partitions the hard drive and installs a bootloader. It's been a while but I think the later versions of Mandrake gave a choice of LILO or GRUB. Once that is done, you can install Puppy to a partition prepared by Mandrake, then configure the bootloader from within Mandrake (or whatever distro you used) to boot Puppy.

raffy

CD is it

#17 Post by raffy »

Flash:
Keep in mind that Puppy is designed to run from the live CD
Agree - it is the best way to keep current - just burn that new CD (or write over an old CD-RW).

But there are times that a HD install will help, as when you have no CD drive (like most old laptops) or when you always wanted that CD drive free for other stuff.

And even with the use of CD, you still have to do a file upgrade. Look at version 1.05 (to be released), it uses pup002. So I guess with or without hard disk install, users have to do a HARD DISK upgrade of Puppy. Given that, why not be adept at true hard disk installs, too? And Grub is a key component of that.

Grub is a well-established part of HD installs of Linux, so I guess Barry can let people help themselves in using it. Unless someone comes along to redo the HD install scripts :wink:
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].