Seamonkey, Firefox. Dillo, and Opera(?) - which is best

Booting, installing, newbie
quyzbuk

Seamonkey, Firefox. Dillo, and Opera(?) - which is best

#1 Post by quyzbuk »

I don't see if anyone has answered this somewhere else, but I'm looking to make my own version of puppy, and it seems kind of redundant to have multiple web browsers laying about. I'm looking for the smallest/most efficient browser that can run all the new fangled flash, java, and embedded videos.

From what I've seen so far is it safe to say that Dillo isn't capable of these features? Is Seamonkey both a browser and an html editor? I have no need for the editor part, just the browser, and something else I saw made it sound like Seamonkey was used because it took the place of Firefox and another program, but what if I just need the browser?

Opera? This is the mac browser isn't it? I know nothing about Opera.

Are there any others that can provide an efficient platform for doing what I want?

youji

#2 Post by youji »

What about Epiphany?

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

In your case I vote for Opera

quyzbuk

#4 Post by quyzbuk »

Epiphany looks good. Have you had much experience using it?

Opera looks good, but there are a bunch of add-ons in it I'm not sure I want.

Is there an easy way to tell how much memory an application takes to run without installing it?

EDIT: How hard is Epiphany to install? Looks like I'd have to compile Firefox from source, then use that to compile Epiphany.

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

I don't know if anyone has tried to compile and install Epiphany in Puppy. Search the forum.

I still maintain that Opera is your best bet for what you want. It's also easy to install.

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

There's a survey somewhere. It should be a 'sticky', of course, but.....

joki

#7 Post by joki »

quyzbuk wrote: Opera looks good, but there are a bunch of add-ons in it I'm not sure I want.
yes opera has built-in torrent, rss/news and email clients which you might not want but despite having them it still takes up a few megabytes less hard disk than anything else in its class.
Is there an easy way to tell how much memory an application takes to run without installing it?
roughly speaking, when installed the app will take up 100-120% more hd space than the installer file size. then there are dependencies (libraries the appl needs to run) to add.

if you really mean 'how much ram does an app use while running' then you cannot tell unless you install and run it.

silverojo

Re: Seamonkey, Firefox. Dillo, and Opera(?) - which is best

#8 Post by silverojo »

quyzbuk wrote:Opera? This is the mac browser isn't it? I know nothing about Opera.
There are Opera versions for most operating systems (I use it in Windows and in Puppy).

Dillo is VERY limited in what it can do, hence its small size.

Opera has a LOT of features, but it's smaller and definitely faster than most browsers. Definitely go with Opera! ;)
[b]MY PC's SPECS:[/b]

* PC: Firelite 1200 D
* RAM: 512 MB
* CPU: AMD Duron, 892 MHz
* HD: Maxtor 2F030J0
* CD-RW: Atapi CD-R/RW CW078D
* MONITOR: Compaq 5500
* SOUND CARD: SiS 7018 Wave
* ETHERNET: Network Everywhere (NC100 v2)

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

Sadly, Barry doesn't like Opera. Don't think he has ever said why? It solves many of the problems he is mulling over at present and would rid us of the terrible monster of the deep whose tentacles drag us all down. We know that Opera works well: MeanPup, NOP, etc....

darrelljon

#10 Post by darrelljon »

The Mac browser is Safari. Opera is cross-platform but its also proprietary which (in spite of it being good) puts me off using it. There was a vote on the best browser for Puppy here.

Sage

#11 Post by Sage »

Ah, yes, that's the one!