The Case for using thin clients

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Flash
Official Dog Handler

The Case for using thin clients

#1 Post by Flash »

If this is not accessible without membership, please let me know.

raffy

Finding people on the moon

#2 Post by raffy »

No, Flash, membership is not required to read the article...

Thin clients and Puppy is a story much like finding people on the moon. You go to the moon not expecting people there, and whoa - a Puppy community!

Except that the moon is your thin client. Old PCs like Pentium I's are favorite targets of thin client computing, as nobody expects that in the era of bloatware, Pentium I's with 32 MB memory can still run uptodate software. But Puppy does run them as PCs, using new, highly functional software.

Given the higher energy costs and cheaper RAM, it is just tempting to design a RAM-intensive but low-horsepower computer. Enter low-power processors in the 400 Mhz - 1 Ghz speed. They are run as thin clients by bloatware, but have suddenly become decent PCs with Puppy.

My Celeron 400 PC with 128 MB RAM (and 128 MB swap) at home runs Puppy very comfortably. And the lowest speed "thin client" that we discussed here has the same speed. There are higher speed "thin clients" out there.

Further affiant sayeth naught :wink:

acklan

#3 Post by acklan »

I run puppy on a P-II 266mhz with 256RAM and it steams alone fine. I find it very quick. I never thought of 400-1ghz as slow. I guess thats just me. The puppy is a treat no matter which machine you use.