MicroMuppy002

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MDG

MicroMuppy002

#1 Post by MDG »

Hello!
I tried running MicroMuppy002 from live CD. Both the options for high resolution and low resolution result in same unreadable display, except for menus. How can I change the display settings?

Am running this on an IBM Thinkpad 310ED (166 Mhz, 64 MB Ram).
640x480x16 has worked in other distro.

Thanks for any help.

MDG

MU

#2 Post by MU »

In the "startmenu", hit CTRL-C to exit it (you might need to press these keys for several seconds)..

Then type these lines:

Code: Select all

echo "0x0111 640x480x16">/etc/videomode
xwin2
Mark

MDG

MicroMuppy002

#3 Post by MDG »

MU
THANK YOU!!! Worked like a charm!

Is there a script for doing a backup of these settings?

Now all I need is to download Opera :)

Thanks again!

MDG

MU

#4 Post by MU »

to backup:

create your own, customized iso.

You can edit /usr/X11R6/bin/xwin

It is the startmenu, just replace the values for the low resolution with the new ones.

To create an Iso, follow these steps (I write this from my memory, so hope the instructions are correct):
First, copy all files from the CD to a temporary folder like /isotmp.
Unzip image.gz:

cd /isotmp
gunzip image.gz

Now mount it:
mkdir /root/mount
mount -o loop /isotmp/image /root/mount

Now edit with the texteditor:
/root/mount/usr/X11R6/bin/xwin

Then unmount:
sync
umount /root/mount

Then re-compress image:
gzip image

Now create a new iso:
mkisofs -o new.iso -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table /isotmp/

Myself I used a modified version of Pizzasgoods initrd-editor, but the steps above will work, too for small modifications.

Mark

toddyjoe

#5 Post by toddyjoe »

I had the same problem with my Thinkpad 310ED with this Micro Muppy until I did some workarounds with "xwin" as Mark recommends. I am working on getting 800x600x8 to work with Micro Muppy but it is taking some work as the 310ED does not play as well with Xvesa as it does with the bigger Xorg. Somebody provided me with a trick that allows the use of a 800x595x16 resolution on the 310ED with Linux which tests the limits of the 1MB VRAM but would be especially close to 800x600x16 on this old laptop. I will let you know if I can get it to work!

MDG

MicroMuppy002

#6 Post by MDG »

Toddyjoe,
Ilook forward to an update on this!

BTW, do you have wifi working? If so, what card are you using?

MDG

willhunt

I would really like usr_more.sfs

#7 Post by willhunt »

can this be added

Code: Select all

USRMORE=""
 rm -rf /.usr_more 2> /dev/null
 if [ ! "`ls /usr_more.sfs 2> /dev/null`" = "" ];then
  mkdir /.usr_more
  echo "Mounting /usr_more.sfs file on /.usr_more..."
  losetup-FULL /dev/loop4 /usr_more.sfs
  mount -r -t squashfs -o noatime /dev/loop4 /.usr_more
  [ $? -eq 0 ] && USRMORE=':/.usr_more=ro'
 fi
if so where? or maybe this one
I think micropuppy would be perfect if it had something like the XDG menu system and the puppy icon menu
shazam instant puppy maker!!

toddyjoe

Re: MicroMuppy002

#8 Post by toddyjoe »

MDG wrote:Toddyjoe,

MDG
Sorry for the late follow-up: The trick I proposed above did not work. The 310ED simply does not like Xvesa. I started hacking an Xorg into the MicroMuppy002 and made some progress but had to give up due to a lack of time to finish it.

edoc

#9 Post by edoc »

Is MicroPuppy capable of running in 16 or 32MB of RAM?

If not is there a version of Puppy that can?

I have an old Panasonic CF-41 MKiii laptop and it sure would be neat to get
Puppy to run on it.

It does not appear to be capable of booting from CD (and the BIOS is seriously
dumbed-down) so I will have to use the Floppy-to-CD boot workaround.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

raffy

barelypup

#10 Post by raffy »

Barelypup by Pakt is small: http://minipup.info/barelypup
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

edoc

Re: barelypup

#11 Post by edoc »

raffy wrote:Barelypup by Pakt is small: http://minipup.info/barelypup
Thanks! I have read the thread and posted my question there. Here's hoping!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

WiZard

Laptop wtih no CD boot

#12 Post by WiZard »

Hi Edoc,
Noticed your post about your laptop not having a CD boot option in bios. I have worked on a lot of old laptops and desktops with the same problem. Here is a solution. Download the free boot manager program "Smart Boot Manager", just Google, its on Sourceforge. In addition to being a really useful multi boot manager, it uses its own boot stack that allows it to boot the machine from an internal cdrom drive. I used it this week on two old Thinkpad 760's. Ranish Partiton Manager and SBM are my two main tools for setting up drives, they both fit easily on a dos boot floppy.

Hope this can help you.

Gary

jonyo

#13 Post by jonyo »

edoc wrote:Is MicroPuppy capable of running in 16 or 32MB of RAM?

If not is there a version of Puppy that can?
I've got a few ol' laps that I could setup at 32 (or 16) megs a ram (upgraded to 80 now, might check it out, sticks were cheap at ~ 10 -20 bucks a pop) to see what happens. They have p150 & p200mmx. What u have?

Tried out a buncha small & early variants of pup with 32 megs a ram & got to a start screen on some but barely ran at that point (loong story..). Not sure if I managed to get a swap partition on the hd at the time (with 32 megs a ram)..but I can go back now.

If you can add some ram, it's a whole new world. Pup 98 runs great (but have to have win 98 installed) and or opens up all kinda possibilities. I have 2.17.1 running good live cd save file to HD on the IBM (p150) with 80 megs a ram, 160 megs swap partition & boot it with a pup wake floppy.

Even ran 300+meg muppy 007 live cd half decent ..but sticking with smaller meg pup OSs for now.
Last edited by jonyo on Fri 31 Aug 2007, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

jonyo

Re: Laptop wtih no CD boot

#14 Post by jonyo »

Had a look at that SBM but havent sorted out makin a floppy. Dunno which one to dwld - tar, gz :roll: or what to do with it & think there's one that can be made in win?
WiZard wrote:Hi Edoc,
Noticed your post about your laptop not having a CD boot option in bios. I have worked on a lot of old laptops and desktops with the same problem. Here is a solution. Download the free boot manager program "Smart Boot Manager", just Google, its on Sourceforge. In addition to being a really useful multi boot manager, it uses its own boot stack that allows it to boot the machine from an internal cdrom drive. I used it this week on two old Thinkpad 760's. Ranish Partiton Manager and SBM are my two main tools for setting up drives, they both fit easily on a dos boot floppy.

Hope this can help you.

Gary

muggins

#15 Post by muggins »

jonyo,

if you dload sbootmgr.dsk from here:

http://public.www.planetmirror.com/pub/ ... ootmgr.dsk

then in linux do:

dd if=sbootmgr.dsk of=/dev/fd0

or for windows, google for rawrite.exe, then you would do:

c:\rawrite sbootmgr.dsk a:

jonyo

#16 Post by jonyo »

Re-read the posts & didn't mention all my lap info. One is an ibm 380 ed p150 80 megs (upgraded from 32) a ram. Took a chance, lenovo site sez it'll only take 48.

Other one is a compaq presario 1220 p200mmx 80 megs a ram (also upgraded from 32).

jonyo

#17 Post by jonyo »

MDG wrote:Toddyjoe,

MDG
Some of these ol' laps require or only work with (~ rare) 16 bit wifi cards. I have a few setup on on 2 diff ol" laps that work great in win 98 & some have got it to work good in some pup variants (1.04, 2.01 - .13 & .14 come to mind) with the oronoco_cs driver that's been with pup for awhile. I'm still working on it in pup98 & 2.16 & haven't sorted it out yet with the ibm 380 ed & compaq presario 1220.

There's is only one card that fits the 16 bit pcmcia wifi card scenario (includes proper voltage & fit) that I know of that is still plentiful (~ 10 bucks on e-bay) - netgear ma401. A search of ma401 in pup brings up ~ 17 hits.

You're not with the MDG Co. outa Toronto maybe?

jonyo

#18 Post by jonyo »

Worked out.:) thx!
muggins wrote:jonyo,

if you dload sbootmgr.dsk from here:

http://public.www.planetmirror.com/pub/ ... ootmgr.dsk

then in linux do:

dd if=sbootmgr.dsk of=/dev/fd0

or for windows, google for rawrite.exe, then you would do:

c:\rawrite sbootmgr.dsk a:

muggins

#19 Post by muggins »

also for your notebook of things to remember, for those odd occasions when the smb boot floppy doesn't detect your cdrom drive, write this down somewhere:
occasionally i've come across it not giving the cdrom boot option, then if you bring up the sbm system menu by pressing <tab>, then select "set cdrom ports", enter "1F0,3F6" <enter>, then click "rescan all drives", and, hey presto, there's your cdrom boot option. i've used this for several pc's where the bios wasn't even aware of the cdrom drive!