HOW TO: Install VirtualBox 1.5.0 under Puppy 2.17 Seamlessly

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
kirk22

#16 Post by kirk22 »

This is very cool. I'm running XP under Puppy 3.0 on an old laptop HD booted off a USB port.

Thanks!

mechvent

Fantastic!!!

#17 Post by mechvent »

Running like a dream... and a dream come true. This new feature of VBox is beautiful for those of us that live in a house that can't give up on Windows. To be honest I use some flash programs myself... Anyhoo this is a great thing and I thank you for it.

FYI.. When running Puppy 3+ in a virtual machine it was necessary to use retro puppy to make it work. This required downloading the kernel source AND devx sfs's of puppy 216 and replacing the 216 with 300 or 301.

singlewc

Re: Virtual machine location

#18 Post by singlewc »

Gonna dredge this up from the past, and ask those who know, how these notes and hints will work with Puppy 3.01?

What, if any, has to change regarding the sfs files?

I have 3.01 on a full install, but will be happy to use the frugal on another partition, if it will get me windows as a guest.

Does USB work with Virtual Box, for USB devices besides flash drives?

I don't speak linux very well, so I hope any hints or explanations come with their own rossetta stone? :-)

Thank you,

John

mechvent

#19 Post by mechvent »

I use 3.01 with a frugal install and the corresponding sfs files (noted in the original post). I also use it within a virtual machine (virtual box inside vmware just for the fun of it!) and since retro puppy only works there I use the 2.16 SFS kernel AND devx renamed to 301 and that worked for me. Worked beautifully, I might add, cause now I can have puppy running all the time and my wife, who insists on using only Office 2007, is placated.

Also, I don't know if anyone has tried them yet, but I noticed that vbox 1.5 is available through gslapt as well.

singlewc

#20 Post by singlewc »

mechvent wrote:I use 3.01 with a frugal install and the corresponding sfs files (noted in the original post). l.
Thanks. I guess I will give it a try. Sounds like fun, and it would be great to have it working.

John

kjoe

Including virtualbox in remastered pup.sfs possible?

#21 Post by kjoe »

I've tried to include virtualbox into a live cd, but could not fix one problem:

Although I've compiled for a certain kernel, virtualbox always asks for 'make' (from dev.sfs) to start, as it wants to compile a module again. I can't understand this behaviour, because compilation was done under the same kernel and the module (xxx.ko) is there in the file system.

In fact I tried to produce a 'virutalbox.pet', but did not succeed.

Any suggestions?

kjoe

PS: I do not remember the module name since my trial took place some weeks ago. Sorry for that.

vezuve

#22 Post by vezuve »

Hello,

Translation Online
Attention, links pointing to VirtualBox may have changed, here's the new link downloading.

Update for ToutouLinux 03-01.1 with VirtualBox 1.5.6
All the presentation functions, however there is an update to make and respect certain information.
Update of the points:
1) change dev_217.sfs by dev_301.sfs
2) change Puppy-kernel-source_217.sfs by kernel-src_301.sfs
To respect the points:
4) and 5) to use the packages mentioned, all other packages is likely to cause a dysfunction of “ToutouLinux

battleshooter

#23 Post by battleshooter »

Hi,

I installed VirtualBox successfully but can't get it to see my DVD drive. Ian seemed to have had the same problem but I don't know if he's around anymore. Anyone know how to get it to be seen? Vbox only sees /dev/loop1-5

Battleshooter

Puppy 3.01

lachelp

#24 Post by lachelp »

Battleshooter, you might like to try Vuppy - it's based on Puppy v4.0 and has Vbox already installed.

You can find it here:
http://www.puppylinux.org/community/blo ... siah/vuppy

Cheers!
Dan

Mercedes350se

#25 Post by Mercedes350se »

Does ActiveX work?

-mCpiCa-

two erros hapened instaling VirtualBox

#26 Post by -mCpiCa- »

i just runed the comands like in the description but it gime me these two erros (in the image)