Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 20 Sep 2018, 20:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Howto: upgrade the Tor dotpup to the latest version of Tor
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
valpy

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep 2007, 13:09    Post subject:  Howto: upgrade the Tor dotpup to the latest version of Tor  

I've used GuestToo's Privoxy and Tor dotpups for several months now, and have found they work well. The versions I have are privoxy303.pup and tor122a.pup .

For a while, the Tor version (0.1.2.2 alpha) has been giving messages that the version of software is not recommended, and has suggested that I should upgrade.

According to the Tor website, Tor 0.1.2.16 and higher fix a security vulnerability that could compromise anonymity in earlier versions. See http://tor.eff.org and the August announcement on http://archives.seul.org/or/announce/Aug-2007/msg00000.html for details.

So, I looked at how I could take the tor122a.pup and modify it to use the latest version of Tor. This is how I built a working .pup with Tor 0.1.2.17 - I thought I'd share these instructions in case other people would find them useful.

(I used a clean install of Puppy 2.16 to work on for this, booting from CD with a new pup_save.2fs file on a USB stick. In that way I avoided risks of picking up files from other installed dotpups).

I put the following dotpups in /mnt/home (i.e. outside my pup_save.2fs)

tor122a.pup - see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=11636

unrpm.undeb.pup - I found this on MU's http://dotpups.de/dotpups/System_Utilities

I also saved the latest packages for tor and libevent1 from Debian Sid in /mnt/home.
At the time of writing these were tor_0.1.2.17-1_i386.deb and libevent1-1.3b-0_i386.deb.
You can get these from http://packages.debian.org/sid/tor/i386/download and
http://packages.debian.org/sid/libevent1/i386/download (recommend check the md5sums to make sure the downloads are good).

1. Launch an rxvt window and create working directories

Code:

mkdir ~/my-documents/tor_0.1.2.17
mkdir ~/my-documents/libevent1_1.3b
mkdir ~/my-documents/working

2. Copy necessary files from /mnt/home

Code:

cp /mnt/home/unrpm.undeb.pup ~/my-documents
cp /mnt/home/tor122a.pup ~/my-documents
cp /mnt/home/tor122a.pup ~/my-documents/working/tor122a.zip
cp /mnt/home/tor_0.1.2.17-1_i386.deb ~/my-documents/tor_0.1.2.17
cp /mnt/home/libevent1_1.3b-0_i386.deb ~/my-documents/libevent1_1.3b

note - a .pup is a .zip with certain things inside it - see notes on the Wiki on the structure of .pup files. .. Later on, we will unzip the existing version to re-use the install script. This is why I have copied a version named tor122a.zip to the working directory.

3.Bring up ROX-FILER, go to /root/my-documents and install unrpm.undeb.pup and tor122a.pup by clicking on them in turn.

4. Now unpack the Debian packages by:
Code:

cd ~/my-documents/tor_0.1.2.17
undeb tor_0.1.2.17-1_i386.deb
cd ~/my-documents/libevent1_1.3b
undeb libevent1_1.3b-0_i386.deb

5. Copy the following files from the freshly expanded packages, overwriting the versions created when tor122a.pup was installed:
Code:

cp ~/my-documents/tor_0.1.2.17/etc/tor/torrc /root/.tor
cp ~/my-documents/tor_0.1.2.17/etc/tor/tor-tsocks.conf /root/.tor
cp ~/my-documents/tor_0.1.2.17/usr/bin/torify ~/my-applications/tor/bin
cp ~/my-documents/tor_0.1.2.17/usr/bin/tor-resolve ~/my-applications/tor/bin
cp ~/my-documents/tor_0.1.2.17/usr/sbin/tor ~/my-applications/tor/bin

6. Include the latest attribution and copyright/licence for Tor from the expanded .deb file
Code:

cp ~/my-documents/tor_0.1.2.17/usr/share/doc/tor/AUTHORS ~/my-applications/tor/doc
cp ~/my-documents/tor_0.1.2.17/usr/share/doc/tor/copyright ~/my-applications/tor/doc

7. Copy the latest version of libevent-1.3b.so.1.0.3 because the latest tor version needs it and create a symbolic link for libevent
Code:

cp ~/my-documents/libevent1_1.3b/usr/lib/libevent-1.3b.so.1.0.3 ~/my-applications/tor/lib
cd ~/my-applications/tor/lib
ln -s libevent-1.3b.so.1.0.3 libevent-1.3b.so.1

***I have edited this to correct a typo - see the post below***
8. Now edit ~/my-applications/tor/doc/readme.txt file to say this is based on GuestToo's original dotpup and that you've modified the installed files to use tor 1.2.17

We now need to build a new dotpup using the modified files.

9. Use the tor122a.zip we copied to ~/my-documents/working
Code:

cd ~/my-documents/working
unzip tor122a.zip

10. Now we've unzipped it, get rid of the zip file. We don't want the old version of the tor archive, or the md5sum.txt file either, so delete them too. This just leaves the old installation script, dotpup.sh - which is what we need.
Code:

rm tor122a.zip
rm dotpup.tar.gz
rm md5sum.txt

11. Now pack the modified files and directories into a new dotpup.tar.gz (all on one line; I split it into two so it fits in the forum window):
Code:

tar -czP --no-same-owner --file=dotpup.tar.gz /root/my-applications/bin/tor /root/my-applications/bin/Tor1 /root/my-applications/bin/Tor2 /root/my-applications/tor /root/.tor

12. Build a new md5sum.txt file:
Code:

md5sum dotpup.tar.gz dotpup.sh > md5sum.txt

13. Make a new zip file including the archive, the install script and the checksums (I've called it tor1217d.zip, the 'd' standing for Debian).
Code:

zip tor1217d.zip dotpup.tar.gz dotpup.sh md5sum.txt

14. And finally copy the .zip back to /mnt/home as a .pup
Code:

cp tor1217d.zip /mnt/home/tor1217d.pup

You now have a tor1217d.pup sitting safely in your /mnt/home directory.

To test it, I started again with another clean pup_save.2fs, and installed it and G2's privoxy303.pup together. It functions as the old one did, but messages refer to the latest version of Tor and libevent.

www.showmyip.com confirms I'm using Tor (via Firefox/Torbutton).

(It's also possible to do something similar compiling tor and libevent1 from source).

Hope this helps someone.

Valpy

Last edited by valpy on Tue 11 Sep 2007, 01:56; edited 1 time in total
valpy

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep 2007, 13:18    Post subject:  

PS The 'monster' tar command in section 11 is all one command, on one line - not two commands.
RobertB

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep 2007, 17:43    Post subject:  

Great info -- I just tried TOR (which I think has to be called "the onion router" for the forum's search to work) plus the easy-to-use Privoxy-plus-TOR utility from this thread this weekend to see if they'd work on my laptop to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks (WRONG! See edit note below!) while using free wireless connections. It worked, as far as I could tell -- I got a random IP address reported back, and I'll just have to take them at their word that it makes it harder to hack into my comms.

However, I don't want to strip down to a new system to upgrade to the current version. I just got this laptop working nicely on 2.17! Any chance for a newbie-friendly dot-pup upgrade for TOR, as well as Privoxy (which according to http://www.privoxy.org/ is up to 3.0.6)?

Edit: I learned later that TOR is not designed to prevent MitM attacks (in fact, it makes them much easier). What it does do is prevent anyone from associating you with the sites you visit or the content you post. That's why some countries (like China, and don't forget that the US just gave retroactive immunity to illegal wiretapping) are trying to find ways to make you even more traceable. And that is why I want to support the effort by contributing my bandwidth to the project.

Last edited by RobertB on Tue 16 Sep 2008, 21:24; edited 1 time in total
valpy

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep 2007, 21:10    Post subject:  

Apologies, there's a typo in section 7, should be
Code:

cp ~/my-documents/libevent1_1.3b/usr/lib/libevent-1.3b.so.1.0.3 ~/my-applications/tor/lib
cd ~/my-applications/tor/lib
ln -s libevent-1.3b.so.1.0.3 libevent-1.3b.so.1

i.e. we copy the file to ~/my-applications/tor/lib and make the symbolic link there.

If some kind moderator could fix the original entry I'd be grateful as it's very late here and I need to get some sleep!

Here's the modified dotpup:
valpy

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar 2008, 13:23    Post subject:  

Updated version of dotpup making use of latest files from Debian Sid.
This dotpup is for Tor version 0.1.2.19

valpy
RobertB

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug 2008, 13:49    Post subject:  

Would you be able to post a .pup/.pet of the latest version, which seems to be 0.2.0.30 (stable)? I've been running a server node on an old PC, and couldn't figure out why it had stopped transmitting -- especially during the Olympics, when I figured there'd be more demand than ever for TOR nodes. From what I can tell, my version just got too far out of date, so the servers don't invite it to the party any more.

Sorry that I'm not just building it from source... I know it's a lame excuse, but I don't have time (I'm lucky I was able to figure out port forwarding on the router!). Like many Puppy owners, I need to be able to install and go -- that's what's been so great about this flavor of Linux.
valpy

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep 2008, 19:20    Post subject:  

@RobertB
See link
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28608

Apologies for the delay in replying - unfortunately, life gets increasingly hectic: I don't get the chance to visit the forum as often as I used to!

btw last time I used it (10 days ago, I think) v0.1.2.19 worked for me

valpy[/url]
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: