How to assemble a fast and minimal Debian Desktop

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
labbe5

How to assemble a fast and minimal Debian Desktop

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://www.prahladyeri.com/blog/2016/0 ... omment-176

Download the Debian minimal net-install ISO from here. It is roughly 150-200 MB in size.
Either burn the ISO to a USB drive or try it out in a VM first.
Use the text based or graphical installer to complete the installation.
Once you land on the command line, login as the superuser (su) and install these packages:

apt-get install network-manager
apt-get install xorg openbox xdm
apt-get install xbacklight pcmanfm lxappearance lxpanel gmrun gnome-terminal

To make the panel automatically show up, add this to ~/.config/openbox/autostart file using nano or vim editors:

lxpanel &

Restart

Some configurations are needed to complete installation.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hey labbe5.

Stop working for the enemy! wiak has produced an excellent automaton
script that can build a DPupStretch. You can get it here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#965541

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

belham2

#3 Post by belham2 »

musher0 wrote:Hey labbe5.

BFN.
So you're saying Fred's Debian Dogs, and his build script---without which wiak would have gotten nowhere since his so-called "automation" script is basically copying everything Fred did except putting a woof-CE spin on it---is the enemy? Musher, musher, musher, musher.....please say it isn't so.
Has Pelo constant attacks turned your soul completely to the dark side? :(

Galbi

#4 Post by Galbi »

We have nearly the same (or better) at home, no need to search at "the enemy" territory.
It's just a joke, as I underatand...
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

wiak

#5 Post by wiak »

belham2 wrote:wiak would have gotten nowhere since his so-called "automation" script is basically copying everything Fred did except putting a woof-CE spin on it
Do you know anything about scripting? Have you actually looked at the code in makepup? There is no connection whatsoever with makepup code and mklive-stretch code - totally different programs. woof-CE build system (which makepup is simply a frontend for) was here long before any other build system on murga forum and woof-CE in no way copies debootstrap from Debian.

And perhaps some also forget: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91832

I will certainly consider extending makepup to allow adding of new programs to what woof-CE provides - then, and only then does there become a similarity to mklive-stretch (though totally different code) and why not?! [Actually, woof-CE already long has had some such add-in apps facilities - but I would like to expand on them]. This is the Puppy Linux forum afterall and not some kind of ridiculous battleground between DebianLive build scripts and woof-CE or the currently very different purposed mklive-stretch and makepup.

I wouldn't myself call someone using DebianDog the 'enemy' or I would be calling myself the 'enemy' in doing so. How boring and stagnant the Linux world would be if we ended up only having Debian designed system - that is the danger we should always be 'Wary' of.

wiak

Note: After nine years of being on this forum, I finally threw in the towel and left it because of idiot trolls interfering with my Dog (and Puppy apps) development work. Drawback is that I can no longer maintain my old projects on this forum (though I can and will do so on my own github pages). I started with Puppy and despite other systems I use, I choose to return to Puppy (using old development team login reserved in 2007 for technical work to try and avoid loud-mouth non-contributing trolls interfering with focus and progress) and hence I worked on makepup (which relies on woof-CE build scripts and sed for its operation - nothing as I say to do with mklive-stretch, which relies on Debian debootstrap and Debian apt-get). The trolls are making fools of themselves as usual.

https://github.com/wiake?tab=repositories
https://github.com/DebianDog

musher0

#6 Post by musher0 »

belham2 wrote:
musher0 wrote:Hey labbe5.

BFN.
So you're saying Fred's Debian Dogs, and his build script---without which wiak would have gotten nowhere since his so-called "automation" script is basically copying everything Fred did except putting a woof-CE spin on it---is the enemy? Musher, musher, musher, musher.....please say it isn't so.
Has Pelo constant attacks turned your soul completely to the dark side? :(
Hi belham2,

If I had that talent, I'd seriously consider ways of blocking any connection Pelo
tries to make to this forum. But my previous comment had nothing to do with
him.

The following opinion involves only me: I believe the Debian Dogs threads should
have their own forum and not be confusing the rest of us in this PuppyLinux
forum.

I fully recognize fredx and saintless (all controversy aside) are masters of their
trade, and their work has great qualities. But their products should be offered on
their own forum.

I know wiak has done an impressive job with his automaton script, but I was under
the impression that his script expanded on iguleder's initial four-liner from a
couple of years ago. (It's on the first page of his thread entitled "woof-CE needs
you.")

Besides, a lot of distros have their own construction scripts now. It's become
fashionable. Do an Internet search on the subject, and you'll be surprised how
many there are this summer: OpenSuse, Fedora, Automated Linux From Scratch
(the one that started it all, as I understand it), etc. One ref. among others :
https://www.linuxvoice.com/build-your-own-linux-distro

Puppy Linux has enough difficulty maintaining its ratings without bringing more
confusion into the zone, thank you.

This forum should be devoted solely to the development and maintenance of the
traditional Puppy Linux.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

wiak

#7 Post by wiak »

musher0 wrote: This forum should be devoted solely to the development and maintenance of the
traditional Puppy Linux.

BFN.
Despite my own involvement with DebianDog and my continued familiarity with it and enthusiasm, I do tend also feel there is confusion with DebianDog developments being pursued in this same forum.

Whilst some aspects of DebianDog developments are useful for adoption into Puppy (and vice versa), I also now feel the confusions out-weigh the advantages (in the past I have argued for DebianDog inclusion on the Puppy forum, but I did wonder if that was correct and fair really). Would be nice for this forum to contain links/pointers to DebianDog-related forum and github development site though, but at the moment the Puppy Linux 'Projects thread' is losing Puppy focus because of the number of excellent DebianDog work - that's a pity, in my view, because Puppy has a lot of woof-CE-related development work ongoing and the Puppy-side of things is being accidentally distracted away from that IMO. Toni's original DebianDogs were a lot closer in look and feel to traditional Pups, but then again, I'd like Pups to also move on in terms of desktops environments provided (and they are). But I am indeed just a longtime member of Puppy forum and nothing more than that, and I don't see my opinions about Puppy to be any more significant than that membership provides.

The problem DebianDog has is that it does not have an established forum of its own, but I would hope such a forum could prove equally successful. Perhaps, John Murga would consider arranging such a forum here alongside the Puppy one? murga-forum.com/debiandog or suchlike? That would be a nice solution, with links between the two since they are mutually beneficial projects in some ways? But such decisions are nothing to do with me and may indeed not be the best of ideas anyway. Perhaps the success of the Dogs is a good thing in spurring Puppy on - I hope so.

But these are just opinions of mine, and certainly debatable. FatDog arose more out of pure Puppy (but has moved away from that) so that complicates things somewhat. Nevertheless, it seems only logical that Puppy development should be for actual Puppy development or damage to the future of Puppy itself could arise (Puppy should not have to compete against Debian... rather it is its own alternative to such distros - despite being able to use their package repositories, I feel).

One thing that is intolerable on this Puppy forum, however, is Dog-trolls 'trying' to put down attempts to improve what traditional Puppy has to offer - why do they do that?!!! As for makepup - it's just a script to give the user easier access to the underlying woof-CE - it is unimportant to me whether mklive-stretch is more useful or not, or if DebianDog more generally is better or not than Puppy.

I don't, more generally, want to get into pointless discussions/arguments with belham2 or any of the others who have attacked makepup; just causes stress and takes time away from actual developments, and whether DebianDog has a right of place on Puppy Linux forums is not up to me or the rest of you for that matter. Up to John Murga, and the forum moderators, I'd say.

wiak

https://github.com/wiake?tab=repositories
https://github.com/DebianDog

Robert123

#8 Post by Robert123 »

Perhaps a separate Debiandog and related projects section would be the answer. I agree it doesn't really fit under Puppy derivatives and development but a separate forum - nah. Especially as both Puppy and Debiandog have benefited from programs like Dogradio.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

anikin

#9 Post by anikin »

Flash is the moderator here. Let's ask him if it's appropriate to have the DebianDog and similar projects on this forum ... by similar, I mean FatDog. I don't quite understand, why musher0 & belham2, these self-ordained gatekeepers are acting as if this forum belongs to them. Are they more equal, than others?

labbe5

#10 Post by labbe5 »

I don't reply often on my own posts, but i would like to reply to Musher, a good old fellow of a Canadian, just like myself, speaking both french and english, which is common in La Belle Province.

I used Puppy for many years, letting go of Windows for Linux, after a short while trying some distros, mainly Debian or Ubuntu and derivatives.

Right from first installation, i knew Puppy was for me. Stable, light on ressources, with media codecs included, and best of all, only between 150 and 200MB. I considered this small a size a feat in itself, and i was thinking why on earth would anybody use classic bloated Ubuntu.

Many years went on, but i became irritated by PPM, when trying to install more complex apps, many dependencies were not to be found by PPM. I would have like to use bigger ,more complex apps, with more features, but alas, Puppy was not to provide me with them, too many dependencies.

So when i finally discovered Debiandog, and Mintpup, the first two of now a long list, i jumped on the wagon never to look back again, mainly because the package manager is better, while it is still light on ressources, and still small by all standards. Dog evolved from Puppy, taking the best of it, and pushing it further ahead.

Puppy did not lack motivated developers, but i feel Dog developers feel the same way as me, it was lacking a little bit of thinking out-of-the box.

I like the way Dog developers experiment with their baby, and i am happy to contribute the way i can and know, always thinking about Puppy users too. And i am not the one who decided if Dog had its place on this forum. I am just a contributor, humbled by the genius behind Puppy and Dog.

And my contribution could stop any time, i have time on my hands now.

I rest my case.

dancytron

#11 Post by dancytron »

Robert123 wrote:Perhaps a separate Debiandog and related projects section would be the answer. I agree it doesn't really fit under Puppy derivatives and development but a separate forum - nah. Especially as both Puppy and Debiandog have benefited from programs like Dogradio.
I have no interest in any sort of purity test or drama about what belongs on the forum, but from the point of view of plain old good organization to allow people (especially new people), to find what they are looking for this seems like a great idea.

A new forum section entitled "Other Linux Distributions," with subtopics like Debian Dog, Fatdog, Tiny Core, and Other would make things a lot cleaner and more organized.

backi

#12 Post by backi »

Dancytron wrote :

Code: Select all

A new forum section entitled "Other Linux Distributions," with subtopics like Debian Dog, Fatdog, Tiny Core, and Other would make things a lot cleaner and more organized.
Have to agree .Would be useful for not to get lost in the Wilderness of the Forum ,which is getting more and more an impenetrable Jungle.

musher0

#13 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

As I said above: my opinion about the "Dogs" having their own forum
involves only me. And this being a laissez-faire forum, I don't expect the
situation to change.

I agree with labbe5 that the PPM could be improved. It works for a while
and then it stops working.

Is it that it can't work properly with a Latin locale? Complaints about it it
seem to be coming mostly from French and Latino Puppyists.

Is it just another case of the typical "English-Canadian Boss Syndrome",
refusing to act on a problem that's right in their face -- because their pride
will take a blow? Especially that the problem was discovered by someone
not of their race...

(Don't kid yourselves: the French side of this forum has seen its share of
insults coming from at least two very influential Puppyists. Moderator
Flash acted swiftly against those posts, I must add. To give you an idea,
by comparison, Anikin's rants against me personally are "sweet and
loving".)

Any racism and bad faith aside, is it that some program one downloads
disturbs the PPM? I'm suggesting this because one solution that I received
-- from an Anglophone, too -- was to always use the PPM on a pristine
Puppy. This is impractical, of course. And hunting down which program if
any "disturbs" the PPM can take ages.

I have mentioned the problem a couple of times on the forum, and the
above is the only serious answer I ever got. (Thanks to that person.)

Maybe we'll never know. And it will be one of the reasons why people stop
being interested in Puppy. As for me, it shouldn't take too long now before
I reach my up-to-here threshold with Puppy, because of the PPM situation,
of the confusion with the "Dogs", of the laissez-faire philosophy of this
forum, and of some racism against Francophones.

If you are unsure the woof-CE site will feed you a tainted zip file because
you are a Francophone and you feel you have to ask a trusted English-
speaking compatriot to get one for you, there is indeed a problem.

So I can't blame labbe5 for his choice, because dependency solving not
working is a very serious annoyance.

For everybody's information, josejp2424 did the reverse in his pupjibaro,
though: he incorporated synaptic in his "Puppy-Jessie", rather than
create a "JessieDog".
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 834#927975.

Sorry about the length of this "novelette", but I felt that some things
needed to be said.

BFN.
Last edited by musher0 on Sat 16 Sep 2017, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Robert123

#14 Post by Robert123 »

dancytron wrote:
Robert123 wrote:Perhaps a separate Debiandog and related projects section would be the answer. I agree it doesn't really fit under Puppy derivatives and development but a separate forum - nah. Especially as both Puppy and Debiandog have benefited from programs like Dogradio.
I have no interest in any sort of purity test or drama about what belongs on the forum, but from the point of view of plain old good organization to allow people (especially new people), to find what they are looking for this seems like a great idea.

Yep because when you want to search out Debiandog stuff you have a mission to find it especially if the thread isn't added to for awhile and gets buried.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

fredx181

#15 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:A new forum section entitled "Other Linux Distributions," with subtopics like Debian Dog, Fatdog, Tiny Core, and Other would make things a lot cleaner and more organized.
Yes, that would be good.

Btw, some useless things said here, "enemy" :?: wiak "basically copying everything Fred did" :?: Image
Some had a few drinks to many maybe ? :roll:

Fred

musher0

#16 Post by musher0 »

fredx181 wrote:
dancytron wrote:A new forum section entitled "Other Linux Distributions," with subtopics like Debian Dog, Fatdog, Tiny Core, and Other would make things a lot cleaner and more organized.
Yes, that would be good.

Btw, some useless things said here, "enemy" :?: wiak "basically copying everything Fred did" :?: Image
Some had a few drinks to many maybe ? :roll:

Fred
Hi Fred.

Yeah I'm having one (1) Red Amber Ale by Alexander Keith right now. The
first in months, actually. So I'm sober.

And I really do think your Debian Dog is the enemy of any DPup because
your DebianDogs are encroaching on Puppy territory and splitting the
energy Puppyists could devote to DPup development.

If I am the only Puppyist feeling the need to fight back, so be it. Puppyists
have been too charitable towards Debian Dogs. We need to claim that
territory back.

Yes you are a master of your trade, but get your own forum. Don't
propagate confusion in our midst.

Best regards.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

fredx181

#17 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Musher0
Yeah I'm having one (1) Red Amber Ale by Alexander Keith right now. The
first in months, actually. So I'm sober.

And I really do think your Debian Dog is the enemy of any DPup because
your DebianDogs are encroaching on Puppy territory and splitting the
energy Puppyists could devote to DPup development.
OK, seriously then (I'm sober too :) ).
Well, at the moment there is no DebianDog up to date release (although there is self build option through mklive-stretch, but that's something different)
And if there is, why would it be a threat for Puppy ? Any examples of puppy developers devoted their time on it where they could do it for Puppy ?
I see them as very different, and it's just what a user prefers IMHO.

For almost four years 'Dog' related threads have been on this forum and for (at least) some people it became useful. (and I'm very thankful, btw, that this forum provided this facility)
And now it seems to me that you simply say 'go away' ?! C'mon, you can't be serious !

Fred

Robert123

#18 Post by Robert123 »

I am sorry Musher but I think your wrong, a separate Debian Dog section would be a better idea.

saintless

#19 Post by saintless »

Hi musher0.

DebianDog is a community project. it isn't Fred's, mine or anyone else DebianDog. We both agreed it is this forum community project and it has open source license and it is like that as far as i'm concerned. There is no need to blame anyone for the DebianDog forks and related threads since all are community projects. I agree too many of them exist btw but most will be forgotten soon since noone replies there anymore.
musher0 wrote:For everybody's information, josejp2424 did the reverse in his pupjibaro,
though: he incorporated synaptic in his "Puppy-Jessie", rather than
create a "JessieDog".
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 834#927975.
For your information (in case you don't know that) this Puppy-Jessie has synaptic and apt-get thanks to DebianDog. It incoroprates synaptic using/copying the content of DebianDog-Jessie in /var/lib/dpkg (status, available, preferences, apt.conf and info folder content).
It is not very good method to do it this way because dpkg database is false having not installed packages listed as installed and the opposite. I can say much more and point problems and some fixes but posting about this will sound like promoting DebianDog by showing the problems in Puppy using synaptic. In any case don't run apt-get upgrade and dont upgrade packages as libc6 because you will break the system.

But as you can see DebianDog helped Puppy to include synaptic. Friends help - enemies don't.

Toni

musher0

#20 Post by musher0 »

Ok, guys.

Point taken.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~