Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Sep 2018, 12:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to remove user created by Pure FTPd?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Bluedogruns

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep 2007, 19:40    Post subject:  How to remove user created by Pure FTPd?  

Hello:

Fairly new to Linux and have it doing what I need it to do for now. But I do have a question.

I launched the program called Pure FTPd. When I did I unchecked the first option in the list of three things. When I did it said a user called FTP was required. I clicked yes to allow the user to be created. When I did that it created a folder called FTP.

This was just something I was trying out. So I decided to delete the FTP user folder. When I did this I fully expected that if I launched the Pure FTP program again using the same settings it would once again tell me I needed a user called FTP since I had deleted the FTP folder, it did not.

So my question is when I deleted this folder did I remove the user or is there something else I have to do to remove the user?

If I did remove the user why did the program not want to recreate the user again?

Please note again I am fairly new and just learning so unlike the other OS I use that I can work in my sleep I need baby steps here.

Thanks for understanding.

PS Since I had backed up my pup save file I just recovered an older file to make sure I did not have any issues but would still like to know how to undo what I did just in case I ever need to again in the future and don't happen to have access the the saved pup save at that time.

Thanks
Blue
trapster

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep 2007, 21:57    Post subject:  

In a console try: deluser ftp

Then try PureFTPd again

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog
Bluedogruns

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep 2007, 05:29    Post subject:  

Thanks for your help. Your solution worked.

I am not sure exactly what happend because the first time I ran the command I got the following respondse,
User could not be removed from /etc/gshadow

So I ran the command again and got this response,
User could not be removed from /etc/passwd

Maybe that is what was suppose to happen but I just don't know for sure. In any case it did the trick. When I tried to run PureFTPd again it did state it needed to create the FTP user. So what ever happened it worked out.

I have tried many Linux distros over the past week. It may be because I am a casual Linux user and probably will not get enough time to learn it as well as I did Windows (my job depends on that) I maintain an 85 system network, but in the end of the 8 different versions I have tried Puppy seems to work out the best over all. Considering it can run totally in memory is an extra plus if I want to use it in a computer with one CD Rom and recover files from a crashed system.

Anyway looks like Puppy will stay with me so if you have any suggestions on a good information resource book or an all in one online file that I can use to learn more that would be great.

I only have one other issue and it is about wireless. I will make a new post for that.

Thanks again for your help.
Blue.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: