A Reasonable Approach to Uninstalling the Unwanted?

Using applications, configuring, problems
laika

A Reasonable Approach to Uninstalling the Unwanted?

#1 Post by laika »

after much stumbling around, i think that i might be on the way to getting rid of unused/unwanted programs. (yes, even the clever and delightful myPup is more than i need.) would something like this work:

use 0pkgs_db to hunt down the files associated with stuff i don't need, delete stuff i don't need, and then remaster for a leaner myPup?

the package manager isn't going to help me get rid of what originally came with Puppy, correct?

thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

You are correct. Puppy's package manager only deals with packages you downloaded and installed. Several people have made uninstallers for the stuff that comes with Puppy. I haven't used any of them so I can't tell you any more about them, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can. :)

Another option, and the one most people recommend, is to start with Puppy Unleashed, which is a minimal Puppy with lots of stuff you can add, and build your own Puppy a la mode.

sketchman

#3 Post by sketchman »

Doesn't "a la mode" mean with ice cream? Not that knowing this is relevant. I'm just curious.
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I always thought it was a French term that meant "as you like it." Now that I look it up, it means "being in accordance with the current fashion." :oops:

Botanic

#5 Post by Botanic »

personally i go on ibiblio, download the unwanted .pet , see what's inside, and delete the corresponding files in my system... correct way to do?

SirDuncan

#6 Post by SirDuncan »

Pizzasgood made a program called PetBeGone. I haven't used it since it was called PupBeGone, but it worked well. A simple forum search should turn it up.

In English, the French term "a la mode" does in fact mean "with ice cream". It's one of those things that has nothing to do with the actual meaning of the individual words. We English speakers just liked the sound of it, and made it mean ice cream I guess.

Another option is to download one of the stripped down versions of Puppy and add what you want. then remaster.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

laika

#7 Post by laika »

thanks, Pup Masters!

good advice and options - plus a lesson in French! what a fine forum :D

SirDuncan

#8 Post by SirDuncan »

laika wrote:thanks, Pup Masters!

good advice and options - plus a lesson in French! what a fine forum :D
I'm actually surprised that Botanic didn't say what it means. After all, Botanic is a Frenchman, and would know better than the rest of us.

As for the "Pup Masters", that is plural. Flash is definitely a Pup Master, but who else did you mean? Certainly not me. I am but a learner.

All joking aside, I'm glad we were able to help.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

Back up /root/.packages before using PET-Be-Gone, as I have serious doubts about it's stability in 2.17. I haven't had the chance to try it myself, but I've seen a series of people having issues with it lately.

But the method you outlined is exactly what it does, in addition to adjusting packages.txt to match (that way the removed items show up in PETget).

And a slight correction to what Flash said: Unleashed isn't a minimal Puppy. It isn't a Puppy at all. It's a build environment that you use to create Puppy on a package by package basis. You set it up, then you download whatever packages from ibiblio that you want/need (though it's easiest to download them all), then use a PETget-like interface to select which ones to use (it defaults to the normal packages). You can also go in and change or add packages. So theorectically, you could just create your own packages from scratch and make a completely different distro with it, although it would need some basic similarities in the ISO layout unless you hacked the createpuppy script too.

As for "A la mode", and speaking with no knowledge on the matter whatsoever, I'd say at the time it was adopted by the English, "with icecream" was probably "in accordance with the current fashion."
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Botanic

#10 Post by Botanic »

SirDuncan wrote: I'm actually surprised that Botanic didn't say what it means. After all, Botanic is a Frenchman, and would know better than the rest of us.
I didn't because Flash was right; but i didn't know it meant something in English - and the meaning is funny. I always enjoy hearing English people pronouncing French expressions; last one i heard in an interview was 'esprit de corps'. you make it sound very funny :)

to get further into my previous post, i was wondering what happens when i delete a file from my system (frugal install with pup_save) : pup_216.sfs never changes unless i remaster it, so i suppose there is something into pup_save indicating that i deleted this file?
and if i remaster after deleting a file, the file won't be in pup_216.sfs anymore i hope?

Pizzasgood

#11 Post by Pizzasgood »

Yep, what is called a "whiteout file" is created. They're named like .wh*. You normally can't see them from within Puppy though, since UnionFS hides them. If you reboot in ram mode, you can mount a save file, then they'll be visible. If you delete them, whatever they were "whiting out" will be magically reinstalled. A similar process happens when editing a file, except rather than a whiteout file, a copy of the file gets added to the save-file, which overrides the original.

And yes, remastering afterwards will make a Puppy without that file. The remaster script is supposed to make a nearly identical copy of your running Puppy, and as far as Puppy is concerned the deleted files aren't there. So, they simply don't get copied over into the new iso.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Botanic

#12 Post by Botanic »

that's all very clear; thank you for the information !