How to: speed up Open Office

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
ecomoney

Open office Java

#16 Post by ecomoney »

Have removed the option in openoffice in Ecopup to use the Java interface and can confirm the speed difference is quite amazing. Im going to try editing the OO_215.sfs file and remove Java (Java is included in Ecopup for the Limewire application). I suspect theres quite a large duplication of that will free another 45m of space!!!

Disciple, Im sorry - in my experience of using puppy in my neighbourhood I dont know of anyone wanting to use the database application, I merely want to save space on my "pet project". Would you recommend a better database application?
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

disciple

#17 Post by disciple »

I don't really know anything about databases, but I fully support not having Java in Puppy's openoffice squashfile - like I say, the few people that want to use Base can install Java.
If you've got java in Ecopup anyway, then it would be very silly to have it again for openoffice ;)

ecomoney

success

#18 Post by ecomoney »

Ive successfully removed Java from the open office squashfile in 2.15ce. After doing a preliminary test everything seems to be working fine. Im uploading the results to my download site in case anyone is interested.

http://www.ecomoney.eu/ecopup/sfs/OO22_215.sfs

Thanks for your help everyone!
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

disciple

#19 Post by disciple »

If you're intent on saving space, you can make it quite a bit smaller by removing all the icon themes except the standard one - they're just one file per theme.

Pizzasgood

#20 Post by Pizzasgood »

I have concluded that the only setting that actually makes a difference is turning on or off the use of the Java virtual machine.
That's kinda what I was thinking.

My first measurements were made with OO and Java in RAM. With them both on the harddrive, opting to load Java does add about a second to the warm start time.

Also, as far as I know, pre-2.16 Puppies do not load .sfs files into ram, other than pup_xxx.sfs. I know newer Puppies changed the .sfs implementation and added a module manager of sorts, so I don't know how those ones behave. Just thought I'd point that out.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

SirDuncan

#21 Post by SirDuncan »

Ecomoney, how small did you get it?

If I knew how, I would like to strip out math, base, and draw. I don't use them, so why waste the space? I understand its too much of a pain to bother taking them out, though.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

ecomoney

#22 Post by ecomoney »

Removing Java took it down from 145mb to 127mb. I would like to strip base and math out of the package as well to save some space. How much am I likely to save by stripping out the icon themes? Im hoping to use a modified openoffice package on the next ecopup release which is currently a 700mb cd, so every killobyte counts.

Linux_chick

#23 Post by Linux_chick »

I am using eco pup at mo...giving it a 'bashing' . Appearance good for newbies and layout not bad to grab attention, pretty much does as it says on the tin...lol. Have managed to make the amsn crash a couple times,( which has been a weakness in the past i have encountered).
Havnt been through every thing yet, but it looks good, esp for community centres to use.

Linux_chick

#24 Post by Linux_chick »

Noooo. I put post under wrong thread...aaaaargh. Apologies.

SirDuncan

#25 Post by SirDuncan »

Is there something besides OO in that squash file, because the one I have is only ~100mb?

Side note: Post 300. I am highly tempted to make a spartan joke. Must resist temptation.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath