wxBasicscript - script language for Xdialog

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
JohnMurga
Site Admin

#46 Post by JohnMurga »

In that example you seem to be calling xdialog as a command as I would from a shell script ...

What if the wxBasic program is doing what you want to report progress on, how do you do this without having to run the function as another process piped to xdialog ?

Also, on the GtkDialog homepage there is a REALLY cool example of doing event driven BASH ... Would it be possible to do even driven wxBasic ?

Cheers
JohnM

MU

#47 Post by MU »

JohnMurga wrote: What if the wxBasic program is doing what you want to report progress on, how do you do this without having to run the function as another process piped to xdialog ?
I think this will not work, you would have to do this with the "big" wxBasic.
It allows you to run subs or functions parrallel, with help of wxTimer().
An example can be found here:
http://wxbasic.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/v ... .php?t=769

The Backup-program displayes the procentual size of a tempfile in a wxGauge, while a file is zipped.

The only way to do it with wxbs would be something like this (this does not work,dont't know how to use while in shellscripts, just as an idea):

Code: Select all

GAUGE="("&
"while [ ! "`cat gauge.tmp`" = "20" ];do;done; echo "20";"& 
"while [ ! "`cat gauge.tmp`" = "40" ];do;done; echo "40";"& 
")"

xin_exec( GAUGE & "|Xdialog ...  &" )
mysub1()
mysub2()
end

sub1()
  dosomething()
  writestringtofile("gauge.tmp" , "20")
endsub

sub2()
  dosomethingelse()
  writestringtofile("gauge.tmp" , "40")
endsub
JohnMurga wrote: Also, on the GtkDialog homepage there is a REALLY cool example of doing event driven BASH ... Would it be possible to do even driven wxBasic ?
Do you mean updating the RPM-lists?
The Dotpup-downloader uses Gtkdialog embedded in wxBasicscript, I will write an introduction to use Gtkdialog to create such programs this weekend.
Meanwhile you might to have a look at the source, added some comments, but it is not well documentated yet.

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2144

Mark

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#48 Post by JohnMurga »

MU wrote:Do you mean updating the RPM-lists?
The Dotpup-downloader uses Gtkdialog embedded in wxBasicscript, I will write an introduction to use Gtkdialog to create such programs this weekend.
Meanwhile you might to have a look at the source, added some comments, but it is not well documentated yet.

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2144

Mark
Yeah, in the RPM-lists program it calls functions inside a bash script.

Thanks, I did look at the source. It looked like it invoked the sub-routines as scripts in themselves, which is cool ... But I was wondering if it would be possible to call functions in the same way as with the Bash example.

Cheers
JohnM

MU

#49 Post by MU »

No, I think this is not possible.

In fact wxbs/Xdialog is not a perfect combination.

wxbs is just a "wrapper", that "hides" shell-commands by putting them in functions in basefunctions.inc.

basefunctions.inc itself creates shell-commands to run Xdialog/Gtkdialog.

But wxbs is missing the functionality of opening a process connected via a pipe to other programs.
I wish I had such functions, but I am not fit enough in C to add them to the interpreter yet.
Maybe in half a year or so.

I'm sorry :?

Greets, Mark

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#50 Post by JohnMurga »

MU wrote:But wxbs is missing the functionality of opening a process connected via a pipe to other programs.
I wish I had such functions, but I am not fit enough in C to add them to the interpreter yet.
Maybe in half a year or so.

I'm sorry :?
No problem !

I was trying to discover the limits of what can be done currently ... What you are are doing is still really cool ;-)

Cheers
JohnM

MU

#51 Post by MU »

Yes, it is not really a problem.
wxBasicscript is intented to be mainly for Beginners.
(Although the string-functions are nice for advanced, too).

If you are experienced and want to use some advanced techniques, you might try the "big" wxBasic, or write the applications completely using shellscripts :)

Mark