1.0.5a2 - default Mozilla association for .tar.gz is TKZip

Please post any bugs you have found
flavour

1.0.5a2 - default Mozilla association for .tar.gz is TKZip

#1 Post by flavour »

Which has been deprecated by guiTar, so needs consistency.

NB I agree with removing 1 GUI archiver...I'll pass on which as I don't use them, I use the CLI ;)
(although I think 1 GUI should be in)

F

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I have never had any feedback, which is better, TkZip or guiTar.

GuiTar is much smaller, also TkZip has a strange licence, i'm not sure if it is really free.

Yes, it is probably a good idea to choose one of them for Puppy.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Now there is a project for a developer . . .
I vote for neither of them and someone writing a wizard (based on your existing wizards).

When I first came to Puppy and Linux. I knew very little about zipping (still pretty little) I was used to clicking on a zip or other compressed file and this unleashing an unzipper

Compressing files is a question of running a program, selecting files and naming the format you wish to use - well so I was led to expect . . .

I needed to unzip and untar etc
So this is what I remember from my initial introduction to this process: Tried guiTAR - looked straightforward - could not get it working. TkZip, was complex and not easy to comprehend - tried the command line - a sign of desperation. The command line worked - after I googled and sought the command - which I would never remember . . . No idea what it is now . . .

Back to TkZip. Got it working. Hated the colours - the developer said he would change them about two years ago . . . nothing since. Maybe he needs a reminder?
Tkzip works. I can use. I can put up with the colours. Through experience I have learnt that tar is just an archive - zip compresses and bgzip has better compression (I think that is right?)

I use MtoolsFM for taring and zipping files

The wizards educate me - they tell me about formats, what they are and what I need to know - they tell me what to do.

So a Puppy wizard for zipping from the command line gets my vote and would be far simpler AND offer a learning experience.

Who is up for it? Go on, you know you want to . . .
8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#4 Post by MU »

I prefer XFE for this:

Right-click a folder or file:

Enter a name:

Done.

Extraction is simple too:

Right-click an archive:

Done.

Or select a target-folder, right-click archive:

and choose folder:

Greets, Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Now there's a challenge... could that kind of nice zipping/unzipping in xfe be built onto Rox 1.2.2?

Note, Pup 1.0.5 will have a new version of gtkdialog, 0.59.8, the neatest tool for creating GUIs for scripts, except that it lacks documentation.
Thoughtjourney is using gtkdialog for her latest project, a config gui for JWM -- which is coming along nicely incidentally and should be in 1.0.5.

flavour

#6 Post by flavour »

The XFE approach is exactly how I use WinZip & I love it, so that would be the ideal :)

F

puppian_guest

#7 Post by puppian_guest »

emelFM2 (available as dotpup) also have plugins called 'pack' and 'unpack', which do exactly the same thing as XFE
:)

MU

#8 Post by MU »

I think EmelFM would integrate better to puppy, as is based on Gtk, and not on Fox like Xfe.

Certainly it is smaller, too.

And I still would not reject Lobsters idea of building a small wizard for beginners.

It might give a step by step-instruction to zip a file, and finally might describe how to use Emelfm :)

Mark

MU

#9 Post by MU »

BarryK wrote:Note, Pup 1.0.5 will have a new version of gtkdialog, 0.59.8, the neatest tool for creating GUIs for scripts, except that it lacks documentation..
Just had a look at the first example here: http://linux.pte.hu/~pipas/gtkdialog/
This is quite impressioning, such a "complex" window with a HTML-like syntax (XML)...

So you could use Xdialog to create simple wizards, and gtkdialog to build your own custimized windows.

I'm thinking of the Dotpup-downloader...
Now with the new small wxBasic-commandlineinterpreter I will be able to realize some things without the "big" wxBasic-version :P
Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#10 Post by GuestToo »

it would be very easy to write a script that will popup a message box when you click a gz/tar/zip/deb/rpm file with a choice of buttons to press ... probably something like
Unzip Here, Unzip, TkZip, Guitar ...
probably most of the time you would click Unzip Here ... for something more complicated, you would run TkZip or Guitar