1.0.4 CD boot: 512M not enough memory to load kernel..?

Booting, installing, newbie
soundmind

1.0.4 CD boot: 512M not enough memory to load kernel..?

#1 Post by soundmind »

I'm new in Linux, and I use Puppy 1.0.4 now.

1. I've tried using puppy Live CD totally in RAM in my laptops (SONY VAIO 512 MB RAM) and everyting's fine. But when I run it in my desktop PC (Intel D865PERL 512 single RAM, P4 2.4 GHz) I got the message when booting puppy that said "not enough memory to load kernel..."

Anyways, Puppy still run, but it loaded 'pup001' file in one of my FAT32 HD partition.

Can anybody help me for this?? 'Cause I want to run puppy totally in RAM, and using my SanDisk Cruzer Mini 128MB USB Stick for storing data.

2. I want to use IceWM and some other DotPups with my Puppy, how to remaster my Live CD with my new DotPups installed??

Thanks....

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

If you delete the pup001 file on your hard drive and boot the Puppy CD with your USB stick connected you can take the '3' option and nominate where you wish the pup001 file to be created, on the USB stick.

You will have to read all the red message that appears when booting Puppy and see how your USB stick is identified.

Puppy runs entirely in RAM if there is enough and 512M is plenty, all your data will be stored in the pup001 file on the USB stick once you have it set up.

babbs

#3 Post by babbs »

soundmind,

A couple of things, I like your name... Hopefully, you came to your sound mind when you came to the Puppy pound. :D I'm glad you stated that you are using Puppy 1.0.4 with your SanDisk Mini Cruzer because older versions had problems with that brand (the older versions of syslinux didn't handle SanDisk products correctly). I use Chubby Puppy on my laptop and my desktop, both with 512MB RAM so it shouldn't matter which version of Puppy 1.0.4 you are using (Standard, Barebones, or Chubby).

Thoughts about your challenges:
- It sounds like your desktop may have a problem with your RAM, but you may not have been aware of it if Windows was working around the problem. If you are comfortable with removing the case, I'd recommend trying Puppy with each of the memory sticks individually to see if that helps to isolate your problem.

- Your 128MB SanDisk Mini Cruzer is smaller than the recommended 256MB device for the pup001 file. When you boot from the CD for the first time, it will see if the hard drive is compatable with Puppy to see if it can place the pup001 file on it. Since most systems running Puppy for the first time have Windows of some flavor on it, Puppy will say that it can't write and let you press Enter to continue. From there, it will check to see if there is a compatable USB device and offer to use /dev/sda if it finds one. When it does that, it will attempt to put the pup001 file on the device. If the device is large enough to load the full 256MB pup001 file on it, Puppy will do so. If the full 256MB will not fit, Puppy will create a pup001 file as large as it can. In my case, I have a 1GB SanDisk Mini Cruzer, but I had over 800MB on it when I first used it as my /home (the pup001 file) so Puppy used what it could. Long story made longer, I don't know what you loose when you have a smaller device, but that may be part of the problem because you need a minimum of 196MB (or something close) RAM to use Chubby Puppy.

- I'm not sure about what you said about Puppy loading a pup001 on a Fat32 HD because Puppy won't do that for you unless its a Fat16. In my case, I created a pup001 file on my Mini Cruzer and from Windows XP, copied it over to C:\ on the laptop. After doing that, Puppy found it automatically during the CD boot.

- Although I've not yet remastered a CD for myself, there has been plenty written on it in this forum and on the wiki. You may find that you'll need a larger pup001 file than will fit on the 128MB Mini Cruzer.

Babbs

soundmind

#4 Post by soundmind »

Thanx, babbs, I've tried what you said about moving my memory to another slot, but I still get the same message (not enough memory to load specified kernel....), and then it loads boot: prompt again.

I tried what Ian suggestted too, that is to choose option no.3 when booting, but puppy still give the same message. But after some process I can choose the partition I want to store pup001, anyways. Puppy runs well too, although I always get the message everytime I boot my computer.

I'm just wondering why I always get the message in my PC ....
I've tried to run puppy on my brother's PC, too, and it runs well without appearing the message. Weird, isn't it??
Using my brother's PC, I don't need to choose disk (option 3) when booting, and puppy runs entirely in RAM (512 MB too in his PC) and it doesn't make any pupXXX file in hd.
That's what I want to work on my PC, too.

But I think I don't worry about it now, like I said, I'm just wondering about the message...

I'm sure about FAT32 partition that keeps pup001 on my my hd. I don't know that puppy will only use FAT16. I don't know which filesystem has the priority to store pupxxx file, but you know what, I have Linux partition too in my hd (ext3 and swap), but puppy doesn't choose them at all when boot to keep the pupxxx file.

If you want to know my partition, here it is:

hda1 (Win98SE, FAT32) - [hda5 (FAT32) - hda6 (FAT32)] - hda3 (RH9,ext3) - hda4 (swap)

the brackage [ ] means extended partition.

All puppy does when I don't choose option when booting (just ENTER) is automatically choose hda6 to store pup001 file, and all the hda6 partition will be mounted on /mnt/home.

I think that's all about my problem, and another question :) , why puppy can't load psmouse module during modprobe, and it uses psaux?? (I have a PS/2 logitech mouse)

Anyways, thanks a lot for supports, sorry for my english, hope you'll understand what I mean

raffy

Intel Chip

#5 Post by raffy »

soundmind

#6 Post by soundmind »

Thanx, raffy, I have visited the links, but I don't think they related to my problems. They related to video support for intel i81x chipset, but mine is i865P/PE.
I think it's my live cd settings that needs to be fixed or remastered, because the message appears when I boot puppy:
Loading vmlinuz.................. Not enough memory to load specified kernel

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Ian »

If you don't want to have Puppy store settings and data to your win partition just delete the pup001 file and at bootup take the 3 option but do not specify any partitions just keep hitting enter and Puppy will not create a pup001 file anywhere.

You might have to check each partition to ensure that there are no more pup001 files.

As for the error message, if you do not get this message on any other machine using the same CD it would seem that it is just your laptop, there could be a problem with video memory if it is shared or the video card memory if it has a separate video card.