Auto-config Ethernet

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
flavour

Auto-config Ethernet

#1 Post by flavour »

Seems a shame to me that a new Puppy doesn't 'just work' on a LAN with a DHCP server/gateway.
DSL & BeatrIX both auto-configure any ethernet NICs with DHCP...if they fail then no big deal, but if they succeed then the connection is working from the start :)

F

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

What is the code that Barry needs to add / modify in the start up script to do this?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

autoload

#3 Post by raffy »

maybe automatically load the network config/detection script.

though this may be annoying to users who prefer to config their own network settings, or don't want the delay with network detection.

anyway, you shouldn't be disappointed, it's there in the programs...
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Ian »

An automatic detection and setup would suit people who do not understand what DHCP is and don't really want to know.

Auto detection and configuration of a modem would be good also and these features might be forthcoming in future versions of Puppy but in the meantime the DHCP setup only has to be done once and it is pretty well automated.

The same goes for the modem setup.

acklan

#5 Post by acklan »

If you do this, please put a 10 sec count down timer on it. I run static on my LAN.

flavour

#6 Post by flavour »

Obviously if the Network has already been configured, then the auto-DHCP shouldn't kick-in...I'm talking about '1st boot' - same time as the initial selection of Keyboard/Video/Mouse options...

If I get time to work on it, I'll develop a patch

F

acklan

#7 Post by acklan »

Put an option box, "Do not show this option again". I use my Puppy a home and at my work place. DHCP at the fire staion, and a static IP a home. I guess that would defeat the purpose of auto-config wouldn't it. :wink: