Puppy 3.01 hard drive install, desktop missing after SFScopy

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
wb0gaz

Puppy 3.01 hard drive install, desktop missing after SFScopy

#1 Post by wb0gaz »

Installed Puppy 3.01 onto a hard drive (boot with GRUB), then fetched the three SFS files (dev, kernel-source, openoffice-2.2), and for each one, mounted -o loop -t squashfs, then cp -r from the mountpoint to /.

The applications work, however, upon first reboot, the desktop is now all white except for the six Openoffice.org icons. The Menu (start) works fine, but the array of apps and links normally on the desktop are missing.

I didn't expect this, so I don't know which of the three file sets might have caused this. I also doubt I can undo the cp -r due to the nature of the process.

Any thoughts on how to rebuild the desktop? This isn't world-ending as I primarily plan to use the machine as a server and access it via vncserver from afar, but I would prefer the desktop be intact.

Very tks,

Dave
wb0gaz@hotmail.com

paultheg33k

#2 Post by paultheg33k »

Hi,

I've just fallen into this trap myself. Fixing it was easy enough, however...

The OO SFS, when copied from the loop mount, will overwrite /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/*. To fix it, I did the following:

* Mounted the Puppy LiveCD as /mnt/cdrom
* Loop mounted the pup_301.sfs file as /mnt/tmp using mount -t squashfs
* mv PuppyPin [and globicons] to .oo filenames
* cp the two original files from under /mnt/tmp to the /root/Choices...etc directory as above.
* cat <.oo_file> >> <original_file> to append the .oo icon data to the two files as above.
* e3pi to edit the two <original_files> and remove the overlapping XML schema definitions to 'run' the two files together correctly.
* Restart X

HTH, PC