Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 30 Aug 2014, 00:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Howto: Set up a simple (insecure) Windows compatible network
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [42 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
disciple

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul 2008, 20:17    Post subject:  

Quote:
Samba don't start, it says: permission denied.

Good, we have found the problem.
For some strange reason either the samba daemons themselves, or the start script rc.samba, aren't set to be executable. From your description, I'm not sure which is the case.

If you see a message like this:
Quote:
# /etc/rc.d/rc.samba start
bash: /etc/rc.d/rc.samba: Permission denied

Then right-click (in ROX) on rc.samba->File 'rc.samba'->Permissions, and choose to make it executable.

If you see a message like this:
Quote:
# /etc/rc.d/rc.samba start
/etc/rc.d/rc.samba: line 14: /usr/sbin/nmbd: Permission denied
/etc/rc.d/rc.samba: line 15: /usr/sbin/smbd: Permission denied

then use the same method to make smbd and nmbd executable.

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
lcrimail

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jul 2008, 05:26    Post subject:  

I have configured rc.samba succesfully but when I execute /etc/rc.d/rc.samba start ...(see the image below).

I don't succeed to execute the libdm command...(see the image)
Immagine 1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   16.48 KB
 Viewed   2824 Time(s)

Immagine 1.png

lcrimail

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jul 2008, 05:35    Post subject:  

Otherwise when I execute Testparm this is the message:
Immagine 2.png
 Description   
 Filesize   21.3 KB
 Viewed   4687 Time(s)

Immagine 2.png

disciple

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jul 2008, 17:21    Post subject:  

Oh, OK. So you're using the official samba package again (the dotpup doesn't need libdm).

You can get libdm from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=145728#145728

Make a link to it called libdm.so.0, and make sure it is executable.

Hopefully that will be the last problem to solve

- - -
lcrimail

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul 2008, 07:22    Post subject:  

the response is like the photo in attachment.

now how can i browse the windows network from puppy?
Immagine 1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   10.96 KB
 Viewed   2774 Time(s)

Immagine 1.png

lcrimail

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul 2008, 08:37    Post subject:  

ip ip urrà!!!!

i can see puppy computer in windows network, i can share with windows.

Into my mac computer I don't see puppy, it's compatible samba with mac?

I have another problem, i would like to do the same thing in puppy 4.0 but samba 3.026 installs itself in another directory, the opt directory, and it doesn't install properly because rc.samba file doesn't exist.

If I digit this command into terminal:

/usr/sbin/smbd

puppy says: no such file or directory

What do I have to do?
disciple

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul 2008, 19:05    Post subject:  

smbd must be somewhere else. Try just running `smbd` in a terminal. If nothing happens, I guess you can search for it with pfind.
But I think even if it doesn't have rc.samba, that package must have some way of starting itself automatically when you boot puppy.

Quote:
Into my mac computer I don't see puppy, it's compatible samba with mac?

Maybe try googling it. I don't know how old your mac is - if I remember correctly, newer macs can use samba, but don't by default.

Quote:
now how can i browse the windows network from puppy?

With pnethood or LinNeighborhood - one should be built into your Puppy.

- - -
lcrimail

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul 2008, 03:32    Post subject:  

Puppy4
smbd is into /opt/samba/sbin directory.
rc.samba doesn't exist
I write this line "/opt/samba/sbin/smbd" into rc.local. Samba starts when i boot puppy4 but computer is invisible on the lan.
If I ping...puppy4 receives the package.

Pnethood do see all the network but none computer puppy4.

My mac do see other pc with windows on the lan but not puppy4

I should test with puppy3.1
disciple

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul 2008, 05:22    Post subject:  

I think you need to run nmbd for Puppy to show up on the network, and smbd to share things.
- - -
lcrimail

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul 2008, 06:32    Post subject:  

wow i resolved also with puppy 4 and it's more simple than 3.1

thank you!!!!

Ciaooooo
mawebb88

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug 2008, 17:48    Post subject:  Puppy 4.00 as a Samba file server & CUPS printer server(USB)
Subject description: Updated to pup-430

Objective to share files on a Puppy Linux laptop to Windows XP machines and also to use the Puppy machine to as a printer server from Windows XP machines on a wired and wireless LAN.

Just spent some considerable time getting this working.

First tried to just used CUPS v1.1.23 as came with Puppy 4.00 to get CUPS lpd/lpr working. Added to the XP machines the extra printing protocol thats required “Other Network File and Print Services”. I use ZoneAlarm on the XP machines to made sure 192.168.1.* was on the trusted zone.

No joy so decided to install the CUPS 1.3.3 using PUPGet (which confusing opens PETGet which is not the same as the Puppy Package mager from the desktop install icon!!). No great progress so reversed back to v.1.1.23. (I copied my .2fs Puppy save file constantly from my frugal installed system on hda1 to a spare partition hda3 to ensure I could undo which I did many times. I used a Puppy 2.14R CD and mounting hda1 and my copy partition hda3 to do this).

Lots for Googleing and then decided to give Samba a shot. First decide to get the file server up and running. Use the PETGet version 3.026. Installed ok but seem to install in strange places and after wasting much time gave up. So un-did this and got the 3.0.25c DotPUP version (had seen on the forums that 3.0.12 had given some success also). Installed (need to install the dotpuphandler first)but lot of dependence libs missing as check using the PUPGet dependency checker. Tracked them all down on the web (some quite difficult to find) and put them in /lib and made relative symbolic links to make what PUPGet dependency checker reported as missing using ROX filer to create the links. Gradually got rid of all missing dependences.

On my EeePC901 using Puppy 4.1 there were a couple more libs missing so grabbed them off my Puppy 4.0 machine and put them in /lib and made the required symlinks again using the dependency checker to make sure everything was done

Copied the smb.conf from the forum earlier in this topic to /etc/samba. Did some changes (see latter). Run the firewall wizard to give 127.0.0. and 192.1.168. free access. Finally got some response from testparm in the console after Googleing and copying bits to my /etc/samba/smb.conf file. Had a lot of problem with browseable = yes in the printers section as testparm always reported “No” regardless. Gave up on this one in the end as it looks like testparm just ignores this.

smb.conf
Code:
[global]

public = Yes
workgroup = WORKGROUP2
server string = Samba Server %v
security = share

server signing = no
paranoid server security = no
read only = no
case sensitive = no
restrict anonymous = no
netbios name = puppypc_v
max protocol = NT
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
domain master = no
prefered master = no
dns proxy = no
ldap ssl = no
;Optional. people say it causes trouble with Windows XP clients.
;msdfs proxy = No
restrict anonymous = No

hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
load printers = yes
read only = No
case sensitive = No

[printers]
;Cups automatically(?) shares printers with other PCs running CUPS, so this is mainly useful for Windows clients.
browseable = yes
printable = yes
create mode = 0700
guest only = yes
use client driver = yes
path = /tmp

[hda1_shared]
Path = /shared
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
force user = root
browseable = yes

I am sure there is stuff in this which is not needed?

Eventually I could see the Samba shared folder I had defined in the smb.conf (i.e. /shared) and the default CUPS-PDF printer. Using pnethood the share I defined could be opened on the Samba server machine itself and on another Puppy laptop just fine and on the Windows Nethood as well. Great. Now to get a printer working. My printer is a Canon i250. Could not find any .ppd files for use in CUPS. But in any case I read on the net that the strategy is to add a RAW printer in CUPS and somehow get my windows client to send their printer output using the driver on the Windows machines. Sounded good. My printer was a USB printer on a USB hub. I stuck the printer in port 2 (it had 3 so it was a fair bet that the middle was 2) and added a new RAW printer but on the USB1 device in CUPS called Voyager_CUPS_RAW. A test page printed from Puppy/CUPS blinked the printer light so I knew it was connect (of course no output as the wrong drivers i.e. I was using RAW).

CUPS printer.conf
Code:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.23
# Written by cupsd on Tue 12 Aug 2008 02:37:40 PM GMT-8
<DefaultPrinter CUPS-PDF>
Info CUPS-PDF
DeviceURI pdf-writer:/export/share/pdf/
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>
<Printer Voyager_CUPS_RAW>
Info
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
printer-is-shared yes
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

I also edited the two files mine.convs and mime.types as per earlier instructions on this topic in this forum.

But I could not for the life of me figure out how to address this from a XP machine (I could not get to see the USB printer I defined in CUPS in Windows NetHood. No idea why not. Could see CUPS-PDF but not my USB printer (wasted much time on this). I then remembered somewhere on the web a suggestion to use CUPS classes. So added a class and my USB printer to this. On the XP machine I stuck http://puppypc:631/printers/Voyager_USB (Voyager_USB was the name of the class I defined) in Firefox and it opened my CUPS class (I had already edited the Windows hosts file to point puppypc to my Puppy PC IP address). Then I added a network printer on XP with this class address and added the Canon i250 driver from my Canon CD when prompted did a test page from XP and it worked!

Same on my EeePC901. IP address on this is http://puppy_eee:631/printers/USB_RAW for my future reference

So the last trick was to use CUPS classes to map a USB device to something that can be used as a http address.

Thanks to all the others who have provided clues on various parts on the web (including this forum) I finally completed my objective. I can now print from my Windows laptop to my Canon i250 printer without the bother of switching on and booting the 2nd ancient XP desktop machine which I previously was using as a printer server. My equally ancient laptop (1999) running Puppy 4.00 boots up in 10th the time. One remaining problem is that on the Puppy laptop I am using ndiswrapper with a Netgear wireless dongle and about 30% on the time it does not have a network interface loaded. So I have to force it by unplugging and reinserting the dongle and running the connection wizard again to load my saved profile. Maybe Puppy 4.1 will fix this problem?

Updated to pup-430

I copied the CUPS and Samba folders from pup-412 in etc to pup-430. All looked good in the CUPS admin page.

Found though that in XP I had to add in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts the line:
x.x.x.x puppy_eee

where x.x.x.x = my pup-430 IP address. Then in XP the printer worked (with a test page coming out on my Canon i250 attached to a EeePC901)

and puppy_eee is the netbios name in /etc/samba/smb.conf and also my hostname in /etc/hostname[

I also copied /etc/rc.d/rc.firewal from pup-412 to pup-430 to allow my local PCs access

Last edited by mawebb88 on Sat 19 Sep 2009, 14:30; edited 6 times in total
disciple

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug 2008, 18:51    Post subject:  

Hmmm...
I think there must have been some small thing missing for your Samba sharing, and you are now sharing your printer in the other way (I can't remember what it is called, and I haven't tried it, as it would require extra software on my Win98 clients). I imagine if you stopped Samba, you could still print...

At least you can print now.

- - -
Page 3 of 3 [42 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: