How to configure wifi from the commandline

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Ibidem

#181 Post by Ibidem »

gcmartin wrote:In the last couple days several members have provided help with steps to get an interface running (wlan and eth).

This is very good information and guidances. I have use the command line steps in the past as well.

Questions
  • Doesn't Puppy already have some terminal scripts that can be invoked to do what is shared, herein? Maybe even some scripts which allow parms which carry out the functions automatically?
  • Are any of the current GUIs also command line with parm utilities such that they will run standalone without X or as a GUI in X? Are there explanations, or documents, or threads which outline the actions of these GUIs when run from the console?
I do realize that, both, the Puppy distros and their versions, as well as the GUI utility versions, themselves, can impact the responses to these questions. But, the issues that are asked may be being addressed as they are basic and generic.

Thanks in advance for any information or pointers to such.
Most of the scripts are based on the information in this thread, and many are linked from this thread at some point.

linus.cl

#182 Post by linus.cl »

@tempestous: Can you put your tutorials to the Puppy linux wiki?
->http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage

Semme

#183 Post by Semme »

:idea: For anyone that might struggle aboard Precise retro with the rt5370sta driver (wext), GO TO THE CMDLINE!

Running a WPA2 passkey connection, my /etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa_profiles/wpa_supplicant2.conf reads:

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=1
update_config=1

network={
	ssid="SSID_FROM:[iwlist YOUR_INTERFACE scan]"
	scan_ssid=1
	psk="MY_CONNECTIONS_PASSWORD"
	proto=WPA2
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
	pairwise=CCMP TKIP
	group=CCMP TKIP
}
My connection script in /root/my-applications/bin/*.sh:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig INTERFACE up
sleep 2
wpa_supplicant -i INTERFACE -D wext -c /etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa_profiles/wpa_supplicant2.conf -dd -B
sleep 5
rm -f /var/lib/dhcpcd/*.info
rm -f /var/run/*.pid
dhcpcd -I '' -t 30 -h puppypcxxxxx -d INTERFACE
I don't know whether it's pretty or not, but it flies.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

s243a

#184 Post by s243a »

I'll read the first post later but I wanted to add that I have a thread related to this topic called: "Turn net-setup.sh into a function library" (see also wikipage)

darry19662018

CLInet

#185 Post by darry19662018 »

This is a script from Pup'n'go for wireless I have used it successfully I share it now.
Attachments
CLInet-0.8.pet
(11.95 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

jplt3

#186 Post by jplt3 »

JpLt