Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 16:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to configure wifi from the commandline
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 13 [182 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
gyro

PostPosted: Sun 16 Nov 2008, 05:11    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
@ normanp
Be sure if using the wizard to set your preferred DNS IP the same as the gateway IP if using static IP. Works for me. Wink

But that does not mean it will work for others.
If your modem/router (gateway), implements a caching name server, then sending DNS requests directly to it, will work. But many modem/routers do not, so their dhcp server passes on the DNS server addresses it gets from your ISP. In this case you would need to configure DNS to be the addresses provided by your ISP, if you do static IP configuration.
Of course if you can get dhcp to work, then these things are taken care of, automatically.

gyro
gyro

PostPosted: Sun 16 Nov 2008, 21:59    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Is there a problem with dhcpcd? I can connect with dhcpcd with the first machine I boot, but if I boot the next machine I must use a static IP.
I'll explain (btw, same with 4.1 or 4.11 on either machine)
I configure machine "a" with dhcpcd and connect just fine. I'll configure machine "b" the same and it won't connect using the wizard or from the command line. The result is dhcpcd continues and I get message "wlan0 sleeping for 10 seconds". So I abort and set up with a static IP.
Now if I boot machine "b" first, it will connect with the saved static IP fine. Then I'll boot machine "a" and it wont connect. Workaround is to assign it a static IP. All well and good but it is not the solution. Confused
Any ideas?
What IP address do you get when you successfully connect only machine "a" with dhcp?
What is the "range" configured in the dhcp server on your modem/router?

gyro
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 16 Nov 2008, 22:39    Post subject:  

gyro said
Quote:
What IP address do you get when you successfully connect only machine "a" with dhcp?
What is the "range" configured in the dhcp server on your modem/router?

192.168.33.2 to 192.168.33.254

Mind you I am using an obscure router, a Synet Windy31. Runs thru a window$ box so I can share my wireless broadband. Works fine.
gyro

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov 2008, 10:45    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:

192.168.33.2 to 192.168.33.254

Mind you I am using an obscure router, a Synet Windy31. Runs thru a window$ box so I can share my wireless broadband. Works fine.

Sorry 01micko, I was just wondering if there was a reason why it might appear that the dhcp server on your router had only 1 IP address to lease.
But it looks as though the router config is fine. So I'm back to being mystified.

Gyro
01micko

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2008, 23:13    Post subject:  

Gyro said
Quote:
Sorry 01micko, I was just wondering if there was a reason why it might appear that the dhcp server on your router had only 1 IP address to lease.
But it looks as though the router config is fine. So I'm back to being mystified.

Yesterday I introduced a vi$ta(call it "c") machine to the equation. My main puppypc (a) was running as usual (dhcpcd assigned 192.168.33.2 as normal) and the vi$ta box, machine "c", connected with dhcp assigning it 192.168.33.3 with no problems. This only makes me more suspiscious of a dhcpcd problem in puppy with more than one puppypc on the network. I'll stuff around some more with these three machines to see what I can come up with. Mind you it may take some time because the new machine is a Chrissy present for my son, so have to play with it when he is at school. I'm sure the new machine will become a puppypc too because my son has grown to like puppy. Wink

brazilnut

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov 2008, 07:51    Post subject:  Puppy running on the Eeepc 4g
Subject description: wifi headaches

As a NEWBIE, I openly admit that I don't yet know what I'm doing. However, by repeated tries, I now have 4.1.1 running nicely in a usb pen drive, with ooo_cutdown 3.2.2.0 running within it. It is my intention to maintain the XANDROS in "mint condition" so that if everything else fails, I still have that working. I do get connectivity through the wired port in Puppy. I haven't tried the webcam or mic yet, but that will come later. UP TO NOW, I AM FINDING THE INTERFACE AND DESKTOP OF PUPPY FAR SUPERIOR TO SEVERAL OTHERS I'VE EXPERIMENTED WITH.
Now, to my headache... I've tried to follow carefully the different instructions that are posted, but I'm still not doing something right to get the wifi recognized at boot so I can configure it.
The only hardware alteration I've made to my "pearlywhite" (I love that description!) is that I've increased the ram to 1 gig.
Any suggestions appreciated!
Brazilnut
brazilnut

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov 2008, 07:51    Post subject:  Puppy running on the Eeepc 4g
Subject description: wifi headaches

As a NEWBIE, I openly admit that I don't yet know what I'm doing. However, by repeated tries, I now have 4.1.1 running nicely in a usb pen drive, with ooo_cutdown 3.2.2.0 running within it. It is my intention to maintain the XANDROS in "mint condition" so that if everything else fails, I still have that working. I do get connectivity through the wired port in Puppy. I haven't tried the webcam or mic yet, but that will come later. UP TO NOW, I AM FINDING THE INTERFACE AND DESKTOP OF PUPPY FAR SUPERIOR TO SEVERAL OTHERS I'VE EXPERIMENTED WITH.
Now, to my headache... I've tried to follow carefully the different instructions that are posted, but I'm still not doing something right to get the wifi recognized at boot so I can configure it.
The only hardware alteration I've made to my "pearlywhite" (I love that description!) is that I've increased the ram to 1 gig.
Any suggestions appreciated!
Brazilnut
dirks

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov 2008, 08:14    Post subject:  

Hello guys,

I try now 1 and a half day to run my wifi. I have a conceptronic C45RU USB stick and normal it working with the kernel module rt73.

I try to use the wizard and do it manual. I try to start with
Code:
wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -D wext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -d
. I try it with different encrypt moules. Nothing work. But a few hours ago I was able to connect my router with wpa2. It works fine and I was happy.
So I try do install wpa from startup and after the first startup nothing works

iwconfig says Encryption Key:off.

Why it is not possible to set up with encryption? Without no problem but with.... Evil or Very Mad

Thanks

d.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov 2008, 09:12    Post subject:  

brazilnut wrote:
I'm still not doing something right to get the wifi recognized at boot so I can configure it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=237740#237740
gyro

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec 2008, 14:10    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:

This only makes me more suspiscious of a dhcpcd problem in puppy with more than one puppypc on the network.

Just one more guess. Maybe your dhcp server dosen't like more than 1 request from the same hostname. By default all Puppy machines have a hostname of "puppypc". This can be modified by replacing "puppypc" in both "/etc/hostname" and "/etc/hosts" with a name of your choice, but different on each pc.
Actually to test the theory you only have to change the hostname on 1 of the pc's.

PS: sorry, it's been a while since I looked at this topic.

gyro
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec 2008, 02:30    Post subject:  

gyro wrote:
01micko wrote:

This only makes me more suspiscious of a dhcpcd problem in puppy with more than one puppypc on the network.

Just one more guess. Maybe your dhcp server dosen't like more than 1 request from the same hostname. By default all Puppy machines have a hostname of "puppypc". This can be modified by replacing "puppypc" in both "/etc/hostname" and "/etc/hosts" with a name of your choice, but different on each pc.
Actually to test the theory you only have to change the hostname on 1 of the pc's.

PS: sorry, it's been a while since I looked at this topic.

gyro

I think you are onto it. I booted 2 windows machines then my puppy laptop(dhcpcd) and no problems. The other puppy machine runs a frugal install so it shouldn't be too hard to change the hostname. Thanks gyro

UPDATE: Yes it works! However to ensure everything saves and survives a reboot I had to unload my wireless module, reload it and I even changed the name of the saved profile in Network Wizard. Survived Smile

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec 2008, 21:55    Post subject:  

Got a new lappy for my young fellow for Chrissy and did the 'ol configure wifi by command line thing.
A point to note:. As I solved the problem of multiple puppies on one wifi network with the altering of '/etc/hosts' and '/etc/hostname' this changes something in the 'howto'.
I have one machine named 'puppypc'. Subsequent machines are named 'puppypc0', 'puppypc1, .... etc. Now you can name them whatever you want but the point is this.

When you get to the line in the 'howto' calling 'dhcpcd'
Code:
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d eth1

you must substitute 'puppypc' with whatever name you change yours to. For me it is 'puppypc1' or whatever machine I am refering to.

Hope this helps someone.

PS: This works in Mandriva too, and I suspect any other linux.

stu

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec 2008, 10:46    Post subject:  

Hi i am try to get wireless working on a old dell laptop with a rtl8180 card. i have put my key and ssid in the conf file, but when i run the wpa_supplicant command i get a wpa:4-way handshake failed - pre shared key maybe incorrect error?

i have double checked the key and i have also had ubuntu workin on the laptop with the card.

if anyone has any idea what i am doing wrong that would be great! Smile
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec 2008, 12:55    Post subject:  

Stu;

Don't know if this will help.
When I had pup4.0 installed it would time time out trying to make
wpa connection; then still connect after running dhcpd.

I'm using pup4.1.2 now and everything works smooth as silk.

I have atheros card, may not give same results.

rjb
stu

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec 2008, 13:06    Post subject:  

thanks for the reply rjb

got it working in the end, it connected even though i got the error. After i put dhcpcd -d wlan0 it started working Smile

i tried for ages with the network manager gui, but thanks to the command line instructions i got it working great now Smile

only prob was i had to make a script to start it again after a reboot.

Stu
Page 7 of 13 [182 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: