Phoenix CE - A front end for the Community Editions

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ecomoney

#16 Post by ecomoney »

Lobster, you are a tireless worker and really to be commended mate Smile
Yes Lobster, Im glad you have so much enthusiasm after all of the rebuilds of that youve had to do to get it just right. Thank you for inviting feedback and taking on our ideas.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

Lobster, you are a tireless worker and really to be commended mate Smile

Richard
Thanks guys :)
The code is designed to be simplistic enough for a crustacean to understand.

. . . so now I am asking another member of the community to step forward and work on it . . . this is a community edition after all . . .

:)

The sfs download part of the code works on a small test sfs at the moment.

Remember this code can be used by any puplet (not just Talking Stick)

Who is up for it?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ecomoney

Yup

#18 Post by ecomoney »

I can reveal........

There is somone that has contacted me (who has asked to remain nameless) has found a way to increase the number of .sfs modules that puppy can add.(>5?) .mo Slackware modules are the equivelent of .sfs's (Squash filesystem). This will add MASSIVELY to the amount of useable, tested, and useful applications puppy can run. It will also mean that the support for this version of puppy linux will be longer, as the kernel version will have to be fixed, so a large number of drivers for different devices can accumulate over time.

The relevance to this thread: This will be the mechanism for loading the Slackware modules.

May I take this opportunity to thank the members of the slackware community (in advance) for the contribution they will make.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

cb88

#19 Post by cb88 »

are you saying that TS3.3ce will have a recompiled kernel?

you realize that the more .sfs or .mo you mount the slower your system gets?

mergeing the sfs's is the best solution....

unmerge should also be possible if the original .sfs are kept

I am pro adding to the number of loops that you can mount sfs's on but it is not a good long term useage solution.....but merging is

modules you always use absolutly should be merged....

perhaps ask the user if he/she wants to merge cartain sfs modules if they have been used for over a week in the same configuration....

isn't the maximum number of sfs modules around 256(not reccmmended...)?

if the kernel is recompiled I suggest that at least one of the alphas or betas have an SMP kernel for testing.... if we want to progress we need to test....
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Gekko

#20 Post by Gekko »

I can't exactly see how having multiple sfs files over one file would have a significant change in speed, if any. We shall find out when we test it I presume. The new kernel should be 2.6.24 when it is released, as it is packed with _many_ new drivers.

jonyo

Re: Like the way

#21 Post by jonyo »

ecomoney wrote:Lobster I like the way this is going. Users dont know about files and locations (many of them dont even know about directory "hierarchies", especially in linux). The "my document"isation of windows has unfortunately meant this basic knowledge is lost on a great many people.
Say what .. :roll: :P

ecomoney

#22 Post by ecomoney »

@ Jonjo

This is true. Most end users dont know the inside of their pup_save files from the outside! Our challenge is to make a linux where they dont have too. At the moment Users are saving all of their files to "/root", and when this fills up their puppy's are dying because there is no mechanism for handling full pup_save.2fs's (currently when this happens, their icons disappear and they are left (in their eyes) with a non-working computer.

Im not saying this is good, Im saying, from what Ive seen working with people this is what happens.

jonyo

#23 Post by jonyo »

I was not clear.. this part applies to me.. :oops:
ecomoney wrote:Users dont know about files and locations (many of them dont even know about directory "hierarchies", especially in linux). The "my document"isation of windows has unfortunately meant this basic knowledge is lost on a great many people.
I am more often than not, at a loss when folks who know linux give solutions to problems here in the forum. Mostly gibberish..to me. :?

I pick up the odd thing here & there..bit by bit over time. Took me ~ 3 mths to figure out how to copy paste in the console.. :oops: Still can't believe it when I think about it now..did lotsa accurate typing there for a bit..

Took ~ a year to figure out a linux wifi connection..

Easy (as possible) = works real good for me!

jonyo

#24 Post by jonyo »

And just to underscore the difficulties that us win refugees :) can encounter in coming over to linux..here's another example. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 379#154379
I have dabbled with a number of linux distros over the last 4 years and despite being very keen none have ever managed to last very long (less than a day for most) as just setting them up made my head hurt.

I have used a number of live cd distros including knoppix but never could get onto the internet with any.
and yet :)
After about a year of no experimenting I came across Puppy, I thought why not.....

.... well I popped the cd in my Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop and within 2 mins was wirelessly browsing the internet, fantastic. I had a bit of a play around and was very impressed with the general speed and feel, it made my 1.7 ghz P4 with 256MB Ram feel like a power machine. After about an hour using it and setting up my email and MSN I decided to install puppy over, yes over Windows XP and use it as my OS full time on my laptop.

ecomoney

Thanks Jonjo

#25 Post by ecomoney »

Thanks Jonjo for persevering and giving so much feedback to this project. I had you down as a "power user"!

SirDuncan

#26 Post by SirDuncan »

Okay, first thing I noticed is that you use absolute paths for icons that you include with the script. These should probably be relative paths, so that the script runs properly from wherever it may be. This makes the script more robust.

Second thing, the offline links to programs should try to run "/usr/local/bin/default***" instead of a specific program. For instance, I clicked on "Edit" and it tried to open Leafpad, which I do not have installed. If it refers to "/usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor" it will work on any Puppy system. Again, this makes the script more robust and allows for better portability to other Puplets and future versions of Puppy.

Third thing, a common error I am getting is:

Code: Select all

** (gtkdialog2:5989): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:
        /usr/share/themes/OSX-theme/gtk-2.0/Frame-Gap/frame1.png,
borders don't fit within the image
I assume that this has to do with the specific theme I am using since it refers to the themes directory.

Fourth thing, the first window has both "Yes" and "OK" which do the same thing. One should probably be removed, I would remove the "Yes" if it was me.

Fifth thing, I must agree that the tail-wagging dog needs to go. If we were making a Puplet specifically for young children he might be okay. Otherwise, he just looks like an even more useless Clippy, and makes me want to reach for my longsword (okay, so I was only reaching for my dagger, but that's because the sword is in another room).

Otherwise, it's looking good right now. I think I concur that the list of squash files should be pulled from a seperate list rather than being hardcoded. I will try testing its functionality when I boot into a clean save file. I will also take a look at the code and see if I can understand it enough to be of any further help.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Help!

#27 Post by Lobster »

this is the complete Scruffy prototype 2.5 MB
it will install into a directory called 'photon5'

http://www.puppylinux.ca/lobster/scruffy0.2.tar.gz

Community help required
:shock: Wot no community inspired coders?
Who want's a community edition?
How much?
Just remember, any work done will lead back into your own projects . . .

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D