Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Oct 2014, 06:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
installing to HD: formatting questions
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
moXXXXXX

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep 2005, 23:22    Post subject:  installing to HD: formatting questions  

Hi,
I sorted out the keyboard by rebooting and reading the options a little more closely but I am still having trouble getting Puppy Chubby to take over my entire HD.
I am using the install script and have got to the bit where it detects my HD. It says it found /dev/hda1|msdos|15007576|DOS 12-bit FAT and asks me which one I want to use. I typed in /dev/hda, hit RETURN, and typed y to confirm. It then disco vers that the partition is not ext2 and given that I want to use grub suggest that I press y to allow it set the type to ext2 and update the ID to 83. I do this but it fails and says to look in /tmp/fdisklog.txt for an error. I do this and see a message saying the number of cylinders is 29777 and it is trying to change the partition 1 to FAT12 and then there is a line that looks like:
Command (m for help): 8: unknonwn command
Command action

and then it lists the available commands

Any ideas on what is happening here?

Cheers,
Adrian
rarsa

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep 2005, 00:05    Post subject:  

First, I recommend staying with a single thread. That makes it easier for people to understand what you have done and tried.

Are you sure that you started puppy with option 3?
Are you sure that on the install to HDD wizard you selected option 2?

If so, please continue reading:

Quote:
I typed in /dev/hda, hit RETURN
Was that a typo or you really typed hda? You should type /dev/hda1 with the "1" at the end.

It looks as if after the script fails, it leaves you inside fdisk.

There I would recommend the following:
(note: when I write "type xxx" I mean to type it as a command when prompted for a command)
- Type "o" and then ENTER. That will completelly delete your partition table.
- Type "n" and then ENTER. Accept the defaults. That will create a new partition that will take over the entire disk
- Type "w". That will write the partition table
- Type "q". That will exit fdisk.
- Reboot the computer. This step is VERY important. Sometimes funny things happen when you modify the partition table without rebooting.
- Restart puppy
- Execute the Install to HDD wizard.
Bruce B

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2005, 04:09    Post subject: Re: installing to HD: formatting questions  

MoHooHoo wrote:
Hi,
I sorted out the keyboard by rebooting and reading the options a little more closely but I am still having trouble getting Puppy Chubby to take over my entire HD.
I am using the install script and have got to the bit where it detects my HD. It says it found /dev/hda1|msdos|15007576|DOS 12-bit FAT and asks me which one I want to use. I typed in /dev/hda, hit RETURN, and typed y to confirm. It then disco vers that the partition is not ext2 and given that I want to use grub suggest that I press y to allow it set the type to ext2 and update the ID to 83. I do this but it fails and says to look in /tmp/fdisklog.txt for an error. I do this and see a message saying the number of cylinders is 29777 and it is trying to change the partition 1 to FAT12 and then there is a line that looks like:
Command (m for help): 8: unknonwn command
Command action

and then it lists the available commands

Any ideas on what is happening here?

Cheers,
Adrian

Well yeah, FAT12 limits are super small, like things you see on floppy disks or ancient hard drives. I don't recall FAT12's upper limits off hand, and I don't feel like looking it up right now, maybe something like < 32 MB, maybe less.

Then of course like rasa said, hda? That won't work.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2005, 12:29    Post subject:  

MoHooHoo,If you have a bare hard drive with nothing to lose,have you tried cfdisk?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: