Must reconfigure sound after each boot

Using applications, configuring, problems
millerir

Must reconfigure sound after each boot

#1 Post by millerir »

Recently I installed puppy on a Toshiba Tecra 550 CDT used to be a fairly nice Windows 98 laptop for being so ancient. I got everything working well now, except that when I first installed puppy there was now sound at all. I used the ALSA sound card configuring thingy and it worked fine until I rebooted the laptop. Again I go no sound at all with I tried to listen to music. I use the ALSA configurer again and it worked fine for that boot, but again it did not work anymore when I rebooted. The only way I have been able to get the sound to work is reconfiguring the drivers every time I boot. Does anyone know how to solve my problem??

fernan

#2 Post by fernan »

I had a similar problem (but ALSA wizard didn't detect my sound card), and the solution for me was this:

Open in any text editor the following files:

/etc/modprobe.conf
/etc/modules.conf

and comment (add #) the following lines:

#alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
#alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
#alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
#alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
#alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

save the files.

Reboot.

Run ALSA wizard.

I did that because my trident sound card was detected in older versions of Puppy and not in newer ones, and looking for loaded modules, I've found that this commented lines didn't exist in the old Puppy .

There is a thread about that:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14725

You could try also PUPPY 2.10, and copy the last lines added by ALSA to this files, and add them manually in your actual PUPPY

good luck

fernan