I gave NOP 2.17 a try

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Mic67

I gave NOP 2.17 a try

#1 Post by Mic67 »

Ok I gave NOP 2.17 a try.
Yeahy... no Seamonkey
XFCE....interesting, I like numerical values in the tool bar for system monitors like CPU, etc. Is that just a config thing?

I know that it uses the .PET type of additonal apps but...
will .PUP apps work with NOP 217?

I know this is a version to be used for the Open Office module .sfs??

Now with NOP 217 it seems that it is designed for a harddrive install rather than to be used as a livecd??

I have been using puppy for one year now and only just remastered my first version TeenPup.

With the popularity of the many Puppy Derivatives is that many dont remaster.

On the test machine it showed something like 253 in the bottom task bar, and I am assuming that is the free ram for a machine with about 384 megs of ram??

If this is true then the way this operates as a live CD is much the way I described as TeenPup bing "unique"??

I havent spent much time with NOP 217 yet. In many ways I still consider myself a newbie with puppy.

To add Abiword with spell check would add about 3 megs to the 85 megs of NOP 217.

And an imaging program like Gimp....

My 3 favorite anti-hacker apps
=loadmeter
=iptraf
=ipstate

Now if NOP works like the "uniqueness" of TeenPup ie. the size of the CD is irrelevant as it is not totally loaded into ram like the offical puppy including the above for the benefit of newbies would make a "good net base system" with printer and scanner abilities. To work a system in a paticular way with minimal resources. The "Senior Citizen" deriviative of puppy:}}

I know this was and is not the intention of the creator...

I dont really understand why OpenOffice was not included and the system designed for it to be added later? I figure it has something to do with using it as a HD install verses a livecd? Although given the way it seems to work as a live CD - ram wise - the CD size would not matter?

I am grateful to those who create such variants of Puppy that is for their purpose but then choose to share them with others...thanks y'all.

Cheers Mic67

Mic67

#2 Post by Mic67 »

Update....

First a correction
When testing a puppy "livecd" on a system that has puppy on the HD, you either should disconnect the HD or rename the pup save file. Because it will load that save file with the live cd you are testing.

2.17 NOP does actually work like a standard puppy and not in a "unique" way that TeenPup does, which is OK. So when used NOP, on a 384 RAM computer after bootup you are left with about 124 ram to work with in the task bar as free ram, which means that ALL of the OS is loaded to ram at boot up, unlike TeenPup.

I thought that dotpups would work on a dotpet system, but they dont appear to work, or do they? Just by clicking on them they do not.

Also when I choose "Quit" from the menu and get the 3 choices none of them actually shutdown the computer, but either restart the windows manager or xwin.

To actually shutdown the computer I opened a terminal and typed
shutdown
then hit enter, which worked.

I am going to give this distro a test HD install, after doing a DoD HD
(short 3 pass) wipe of the HD - 2 gigs which will take 50 minutes.

You have to create a save file on the HD first right?

Interesting deriviative..

Cheers mic67