Success with 2.16 and Thinkpad 600e

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
Chronos

Success with 2.16 and Thinkpad 600e

#1 Post by Chronos »

I didn't know where to post this, so I hope I got the right area.

Ok, I'm a noob for tha most part. About a week ago, I posted about which distro would be best for a Thinkpad 760. I thought that's what I Was acquiring. Fortunately, I was informed wrong and it's a Thinkpad 600e 2645-4BU, P-II 400 w/64mb RAM, 10gig hdd, CD-ROM, floppy, docking station and a pcmcia nic.

I got 2.16 to install almost flawlessly. I'll get to the "flawlessly" part in a minute.

Using Xorg @ 1024x768x24 for video and a 256mb swap file.

First thing I wanted to do was get it on "the net". Popped in the 3com 3ccfe575bt nic, ran the wizard and it connected right off the bat using the first driver it tried, which is for a 3c59x nic.

Now for a challenge. The wireless card that I use in my Win laptop. I thought, "I can hardly keep this thing working on my good laptop in WinXP, no way I can get it to work on this old laptop." It's a D-Link AirPLUS DWL-G650. Popped it in. Ran the wizard and thought I would let it try and do it's auto detection thing. Well, the wizard seemed to just be going down it's list 1 by 1. After 5 attempts, I gave up on the auto config. Then I see in the list "ath_pci" for a PCI card with a Athero's chipset. Figured, "Hmmm...this pcmcia card is a Athero's chip, might work." Bingo! Now to set it up for router access. Punched in the WPA key, no dice. Took about 3 tries with diff settings in the wireless profile window before I could get DCHP to assign an IP, but it worked.

But, I have 2 connection icons in, what in windows is called the system tray, showing active connections. The one I know is for my wireless connection. The other is named something else. I only have the 1 pcmcia card in. One of the neighbors has a wireless network I can see, could this be it?

So, now onto the next challenge. Getting sound to work on this thing.

I'm also considering putting in a P-III, as my fav parts shop has about 50 of them for around $8 each. From what I've read, it's relatively easy to mod the BIOS to do this swap. But, more ram before that. I just need to see if I can track some down for a good price.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Good to receive positive replies.

Maybe post your sound issue in bugs with a link to this
page, so that other Thinkpad users can benefit.

have a good one.........Chris.