XFCE-4.4.1.SFS and XFCE-4.4.1.PET for Puppy 3.0+ FINAL

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
JB4x4

XFCE-4.4.1.SFS and XFCE-4.4.1.PET for Puppy 3.0+ FINAL

#1 Post by JB4x4 »

UPDATE - 12-04-2007 - XFCE 4.4.1 D

I have updated my XFCE 4.4.1 package for Puppy....

Changes - 12-04-2007

--Gamin, Startup Notification, and VTE compiled in Puppy
----Previously using Slackware packages, should improve reliablity
----NOTE: Gamin is supposed to provide Desktop and Thunar updating, please report (Thank you)
--XFCE Mixer defaults to OSS sound for better "stock" Puppy support
----ALSA XFCE Mixer available as a PET package
--Rox script works with JWM/Pinboard, user does not have to edit .xinitrc
--Extra plugins in PET form.
--Moved from "experimental" to "windowmangers/XFCE" at www.puppylinux.ca

-----

Changes - 11-04-2007

--Smaller footprint
----SFS now 16.2 meg - was 19 meg
----PET now 20.4 meg / 49.6 meg installed - was 23 meg 53 meg installed
--Created mimetypes for .pet .pup .sfs .2fs .3fs .iso
--included a modified version of gray's rox script
----determines if the user is in XFCE or JWM and opens the appropriate file manager when called in a script
--added cpu monitor
--clock defaults to 12hr - am/pm
--added other various file "open with" defaults to Thunar
--Added two scripts - update-xfce-mimetype.sh / update-xfce-menu.sh
----update-xfce-mimetype.sh - updates mimetypes after installing XFCE-441b.sfs - see below
----update-xfce-menu.sh - clears menu cache after installing new programs so they can be detected (not always need)
----These can both be accessed from the System area of the menu.

To install .PET (full or frugal install)
-Download and install XFCE-441b.pet
-Exit to prompt and enter the command..
-xwin startxfce4

To install .SFS (frugal install)
-Download XFCE-441b.sfs
-Move to /mnt/home
-REBOOT computer
-When JWM appears, exit to prompt and enter the command..
-xwin startxfce4
-run the command Update XFCE Mimetype under the System section.
-logoff and restart window manager "xwin"

FILES-

XFCE-441d.pet
http://www.puppylinux.ca/members/window ... E-441d.pet

XFCE-441d.sfs
http://www.puppylinux.ca/members/window ... E-441d.sfs

NEW PLUGINS: Battery Monitor, Clipman, Places, Wavelan, XMMS, and the ALSA version of the XFCE-MIXER available at----
http://www.puppylinux.ca/members/windowmanagers/XFCE

As always, have fun...
JB

P.S. This will probably be my last update of 4.4.1. XFCE 4.4.2 has been released, and I will begin working on soon.

Thanks to http://www.puppylinux.ca/ for additional hosting...
Last edited by JB4x4 on Tue 04 Dec 2007, 11:41, edited 4 times in total.

siriusw

#2 Post by siriusw »

JB4x4,

Just try to install .PET version and it works.
Thx for providing it!

Would you mind to tell me how to install other plugin for xfce from the xfce offical website? As I know, I have to compile it, right?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

8) great

What did Dougal take out to provide his (I think it is 1.5MB) version?
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/XfcePuppy
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

cb88

#4 Post by cb88 »

xfce4.4.1 is just bigger and probably can't be reduced to that size even thought there are not that many more features...
:cry:
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

JB4x4

#5 Post by JB4x4 »

siriusw - Plugins are easily installed as long as you have the devx file installed/loaded. Download the source code from the XFCE Goodies website, extract and run the command "./configure && make && make install" If you have trouble just PM me and I could create PET packages.

Lobster / cb88 - Yes, this is quite a bit larger. Although there are not alot of added features, most things have been improved with added function (ie. Thunar file manager, Orage clock, and the new XFDesktop with working icons/links). As for cutting stuff out, I wouldn't know where to start, and I wanted the full XFCE anyways :)

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't know if you tried these ideas yet, but maybe you could use strip on everything that's strippable. Another thing you could do is use UPX compression, but I don't know if Puppy supports that by default or not.

Also, Dougal's package didn't include Thunar or any other non-WM-essential applications. He also left out most plugins, XFWM themes, and GTK themes. Plus, there was no desktop icon support either back then. That's one of the new features.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

JB4x4

#7 Post by JB4x4 »

Pizzasgood - I stripped everything I could, hoping to save space. I had thought of UPX, but am also not sure if Puppy supports.

JB

cb88

#8 Post by cb88 »

upx is an execuatable compression format and it extracts itself it has worked in 2.14 and 2.16 I am pretty sure that it works for 3.00 as far as that goes it should work in any linux should it not? some times it gets extremely good compression other times not so much....

it is worth using the exhastive compression method because it doesn't take that much longer on new PC's
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, I know it will work. I just don't know if it's included in Puppy by default or would need to be installed.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

JB4x4

#10 Post by JB4x4 »

For those interested in the older smaller XFCE - (tested with Dougal's XFCE-4.2.3.2-base.pup) - I have made a small PET package that will update the menu to a more standard Puppy structure (similar to my 4.4.1). This also works with Puppy-NOP to the same effect.

JB
Attachments
XFCE_menu_upgrade.pet
Update older XFCE menus
(6.1 KiB) Downloaded 1457 times

Puppetmaster

#11 Post by Puppetmaster »

Hi, new user here, and a new user as regarding to puppy as well :)
I just tried installing xfce-4.4.1.PET in hd-installed puppy 3.0. The message I'm given when I try is:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The XFCE-441.pet package has been downloaded to /root/.packages,
however there is not enough room to uncompress and install it.
The free space is 84729 blocks but it is estimated you will
need 234360 blocks temporarily for the expansion and install.

Note: If you are using a pup_save.3fs personal storage file,
it can be made bigger -- see Utilities menu.

This script will now delete the package and exit...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and obviously it doesn't install. What am I doing wrong?
I tried increase my storage file, but since I have an hd-install, I don't have one :)

Pizzasgood

#12 Post by Pizzasgood »

As I understand it, 3.00 has a glitch with the size calculations. It might be fixed in 3.01. I'm still using a 2.14 derivative, so I'm not up to date on all the changes in 3.01.

You could install it by hand. The package should be in /root/.packages/. Stick it in a "clean" area (I like to use /tmp/NewDir) and extract it with these commands:

Code: Select all

pet2tgz <packagename>.pet
tar -xf <packagename>.tar.gz
Then just copy the directories it creates into /, so that it asks you if you want to merge them with the filesystem. Just keep clicking yes (or hold down enter).

Then, unless it includes a pinstall.sh script, it will be installed. However, it won't be registered with PETget, so you won't be able to uninstall it from PETget.

SirDuncan

#13 Post by SirDuncan »

Actually, that glitch is far older than 3.00. I know that before 3.01 Barry spoke of fixing it, but I don't know if he did it for 3.01.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

bobwrit

#14 Post by bobwrit »

Pizzasgood wrote:As I understand it, 3.00 has a glitch with the size calculations. It might be fixed in 3.01.
To the best of my knowlage it was fixed in 3.01.Correct me if I'm wrong.
I need help with my forum. [b][u]LINK:[/u][/b][url]http://www.programers.co.nr/[/url]
[url]http://www.freewebs.com/programm/iframe.html[/url] is my gateway page...

Puppetmaster

#15 Post by Puppetmaster »

Thanks for the swift replies! :)
So either I have to install it by hand, or update my 3.0 to 3.01... ;)

JB4x4

#16 Post by JB4x4 »

The petget script up to 3.0 checked to see if you had 5 times the size of the package before installing. In 3.01 Barry dropped this to 3 times.

Look for this line in /usr/sbin/petget

XPNEEDB=`expr $EXPFILEB \* 5`

and change the "5" to a "3"

This would match v3.01

JB
Last edited by JB4x4 on Sat 20 Oct 2007, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

SirDuncan

#17 Post by SirDuncan »

Wow, that was a simple fix. I wish I had known that earlier. It would have made the installation of quite a few large apps far easier.

Thanks for letting us know.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

Timelord

#18 Post by Timelord »

Hi there!

Unfortunately, the "glitch" (please notice I am not assuming it is the same one addressed by Barry with the fix just mentioned) does not seem to be fixed in puppy 3.01. I'm far from being a Puppy and Linux expert. However, I was having problems with EZPup3 in puppy 3.00 (unfinished installs and not enough space messages). Tried fresh Puppy 3.01 install, but same problem. I'll expand on a separate thread.

timelord

Puppetmaster

#19 Post by Puppetmaster »

JB4x4 wrote:The petget script up to 3.0 checked to see if you had 5 times the size of the package before installing. In 3.01 Barry dropped this to 3 times.

Look for this line in /usr/sbin/petget

XPNEEDB=`expr $EXPFILEB \* 5`

and change the "5" to a "3"

This would match v3.01

JB
I had to change mine down "1" to get it to install... strange, but it did install! Thanks! Now I just have the slight issue that every time I start Puppy, I'm first shown the JWM-desktop and I have to click it with the mouse for xfce to appear. Why is that? Sorry about all my stupid questions and thanks for all your patience :)

JB4x4

Re: XFCE-4.4.1.SFS and XFCE-4.4.1.PET for Puppy 3.0+ FINAL

#20 Post by JB4x4 »

JB4x4 wrote:
In either case, to keep the rox pinboard from showing up before the XFCE desktop, find this line in /root/.xinitrc

rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin

and comment (#) out

#rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
From the first post...