Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Apr 2014, 20:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
KDE 3.5.7 SFS file
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 4 [54 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
alienjeff

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 18:49    Post subject:  

Out of morbid curiosity more than anything else, I'm wondering what the comparative boot times (from Grub boot selection-to-functional desktop) are for JWM vs KDE on a modern and legacy boxes of varying RAM configurations. For a point of reference, I've tweaked my initialization files to get this time down to 25-seconds (from a "stock" 35-seconds) with JWM in Puppy v2.12 full HD installation on a 600-MHz Celeron with 256M of RAM.

As much as I appreciate the standardization and cohesiveness of KDE, a mere fleeting glimpse of the DE makes me shudder in revulsion, as it's all too reminiscent of my year running Knoppix ... just couldn't seem to wrap my arms around it. The distro itself is wonderfully feature-rich, but I found the online community impersonal, emotionless and drone-like.

kirk

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2007, 00:02    Post subject:  

ejazjv,

Sorry, I really have no idea. Unionfs does seem to post a lot of messages in dmesg, but most seem to be benign. You probably should try making it work with the standard puppy. Maybe you can find some instructions on the web on how to make it work without udev. (using mknod to make the nodes for the device if needed)

Aj,

It's certainly slower with KDE. Slower still with the second one I posted. Slack 12's KDE requires Hal, Dbus, udev, and a few other services to work correctly. These sfs are experimental. The second sfs file that has hal & udev really should be part of a complete remake of puppy instead of a sfs file. I don't use KDE my self, but someone who has the interest, could make a version of puppy 3 with KDE that works pretty well.

The Slackware developers didn't have small and efficient on their minds when they built slack12. Lots of (needless?) dependencies. Glad to see the move back to T2.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2007, 05:23    Post subject:  

I installed this KDE sfs and started KDE.
One of the first things I noticed is, that in Konqueror I can't mount hda1 which is a ntfs partition. See picture.
I mounted it with pmount and then it worked.

I thought in Konqueror clicking on a storage media, which isn't mounted dick mount it automatically. Correct?
kde-mount-ntfs.png
 Description   
 Filesize   10.69 KB
 Viewed   2071 Time(s)

kde-mount-ntfs.png

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2007, 05:48    Post subject:  

There are two programs I found interesting when I tried KDE quite some time ago now.
- Krusader (two pane file browser)
- Ksnapshot.

Did you look into these to be added in the future?

Use peppyy's puppysearch
kirk

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2007, 12:01    Post subject:  

Quote:
I thought in Konqueror clicking on a storage media, which isn't mounted dick mount it automatically. Correct?

Yes in the second SFS file I posted it should, but it seems to be unstable. That error message usually means one of the services didn't start up. The first kde sfs file doesn't support mounting at all. So I put Pmount on the desktop. I'm going to edit the first post and mark the second sfs file as unstable it really should be part of a puplet.
Béèm

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2007, 13:48    Post subject:  

The second is the KDE357j.sfs, right?
That's the one I downloaded.

As for Krusader, Ksnapshot and eventually Knode, do you have plans?

Use peppyy's puppysearch
kirk

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2007, 18:33    Post subject:  

Quote:
The second is the KDE357j.sfs, right?

Yes. Again it seems unstable. Sometimes I can make a pup_save file and use KDE357j.sfs and all works well reboot after reboot other times you'll get the message you posted. I ran into several Unionfs bugs that I tried to work around. But perhaps there's more. When I posted KDE357j.sfs I had a pup_save that was working well with it. Since then I've had the problem you saw. Probably should not have posted it. But perhaps someone can use it as part of a kde puplet.

Quote:
As for Krusader, Ksnapshot and eventually Knode, do you have plans?

No, I've taken it as far as I'm going to. Gslapt may get those for you.
Béèm

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2007, 18:46    Post subject:  

Ok, I'll try the KDE357.sfs and see how it goes.
Having discovered other problems as well, I'll see if those are also in this one before reporting more.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
richard.a

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2007, 23:22    Post subject:  

alienjeff wrote:
The distro itself is wonderfully feature-rich, but I found the online community impersonal, emotionless and drone-like.

Jeff, this reminds me of many other so-called "communities".

<rant>
One that frustrated me no end - and which I've abandoned - and its product - is the Free version of AVG anti-virus for Windows. I have need to run Win2000 on several machines on my LAN as an option.

They were absolutely no help over an update that turned the the product into a rogue elephant stomping around deleting plain html files and uninfected executables even on machines that don't actually go on-line, effective 31st October this year. It even said I had an infection that wasn't listed in their glossary!!

That upgrade, separately downloaded four different times to four different machines, had the same effect everywhere. And all they could do was bleat I'd posted in the wrong section of the forum.

Unbelievable Sad
</rant>

richard.a

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2007, 23:25    Post subject:  

Béèm wrote:

That's been my experience, in both Linux and BSD-Unix, with KDE.

Richard in Oz

ejazjv

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2007, 16:41    Post subject:  

kirk
after make rules file in udev my modem atached to /dev/ttyusb0 pupdial good /dev/ttyusb0 found if i prob in pupdial same massage but if i dial error massage is pppd error=16
any one help mark or kirk
thanks
ejazjv
ejazjv

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec 2007, 10:42    Post subject: finnaly succes  

finaly i connect internet with my etc2551 huawei cdma phone modem i change my pap & chap secret files both change with my pclinux os files and peer file also
thanks again not many words because my english is week
thanks again
kirk , mu,
ejazjv

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2007, 19:12    Post subject: kde slow start  

one more question kde load vary slow 4 to 5 minutes my system is 300 p2 160mb ram
ejazjv
bobwrit

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2007, 20:52    Post subject:  

KDE is large and thus slower so it will take some more time to boot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger 
over_soul

PostPosted: Tue 20 Oct 2009, 11:58    Post subject:  

KDE for puppy is great idea! (it's much easier to get around to if you are a former windows user). I downloaded it (I'm using puppy on a virtual machine - currently - Puppy 4.3.0), placed it in /mnt/home/root directory and renamed it to "kde357_301.sfs" and rebooted my VM. Than exited to prompt and typed "xwin start kde" - and nothing happened.... It just didn't loaded - it showed me the start screen (with the little black X in the middle) and than returned me to prompt.... Any ideas why? (if that helps - on my VM grub doesn't load, so I use xversa)
If someone can tell me how to install it correctly, I'll appreciate it Smile

Important P.S.
My puppy uses full install on HDD
Page 3 of 4 [54 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: